Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 keeps losing internet since firmware 2.7.2.104 update

Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@vajim wrote:
all will stop when you change you signature file

Changed. Then let's see if this helps. 

Message 26 of 46
jkbreuer
Aspirant

Can we mark reopen this thread as not being solved?  The current message marked as the solution does not have a remedy for the problem.

@vajim if you know of the exact solution, or can link to the forum with the precise solution it would be helpful.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 46
vajim
Master

@jkbreuer wrote:

Can we mark reopen this thread as not being solved?  The current message marked as the solution does not have a remedy for the problem.

@vajim if you know of the exact solution, or can link to the forum with the precise solution it would be helpful.

The moderators and netgear firmware team are working a permanent fix

until then you can try various options from inside this thread and others 

Message 28 of 46
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Message 29 of 46
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@jkbreuer 

I tried to post a possible solution here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-keeps-losing-internet-since-firmware-2-7-2-104-update/m-...

Thanks @Ha_Ku_Na for posting.  Lots of folks are looking for a solution 

Message 30 of 46
striker69
Star

Sorry To Report The Older Firmware Did Not Fix The Disconnect Problem. Currently Back To Latest Firmware

Message 31 of 46
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@striker69 wrote:

Sorry To Report The Older Firmware Did Not Fix The Disconnect Problem. Currently Back To Latest Firmware

Please try that:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-keeps-losing-internet-since-firmware-2-7-2-104-update/m-...

Message 32 of 46
vajim
Master

@striker69 wrote:

it may be you weren't able to go back far enought.  I'm on 2.5.2.4 with no problems

Message 33 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm on v104, ZERO problems. Traffic Meter has never been enabled. DST enabled. 

@striker69 wrote:

Message 34 of 46
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I'm on v104, ZERO problems. Traffic Meter has never been enabled. DST enabled. 

@striker69 wrote:

That's nice...thanks for sharing.  From you ZERO problems is all we would expect.

Message 35 of 46
Orbiuser2021
Tutor

What an absolute nightmare, this Orbi system. I have also been wasting many hours this week on this horrible system and now realize many people have this problem caused by a firmware issue.

Countless restarts, change settings, Telnet, etc. I actually smashed the thing against the wall in frustration too.

I thought I was buying a premium product from this company at an associated premium price but it turns out to be a prototype hobby product. If this is not resolved by Orbi before the end of this week it'll be my last Netgear/Orbi product ever.

Message 36 of 46
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Message 37 of 46
FURRYe38
Guru

Please review this:

@Orbiuser2021 wrote:

What an absolute nightmare, this Orbi system. I have also been wasting many hours this week on this horrible system and now realize many people have this problem caused by a firmware issue.

Countless restarts, change settings, Telnet, etc. I actually smashed the thing against the wall in frustration too.

I thought I was buying a premium product from this company at an associated premium price but it turns out to be a prototype hobby product. If this is not resolved by Orbi before the end of this week it'll be my last Netgear/Orbi product ever.

Message 38 of 46
vajim
Master

@Orbiuser2021 wrote:

and the other sad part about this is that there are several in this forum who want to talk about anything BUT firmware.  

I hope you can salvage your Orbi.  It's a great system when the firmware is stable.

Message 39 of 46
Orbiuser2021
Tutor

Thanks Vijam, I agree it worked great seemingly until the time change so I second the firmware thought.

I have disabled the trafic meter, hope it works (as I have followed the advise in several other posts that did not resolve). 
But these issues are not acceptable to me - not from a company like Netgear. The suggestion that these bugs have existed for a while is frustrating. People having to rely on what expert users post in forum messages to keep their high dollar system working is very disturbing.

Message 40 of 46
Orbiuser2021
Tutor

A bit more on my symptoms:

- The internet connection started dropping on 3/15/21. Before then I had not experienced this issue in ~1 year.

- Firmware in RBR50: 2.7.2.104

- Web interface shows internet connection as 'good' while there is no internet

- Android app shows 'offline' and a red dit next to the RBR50 (can't reboot from phone, have to use the web ui or pull plug)

- Connection drops anywhere from every 2 hours till ~12 hours 

- Internet does not seem to come back by itsself, a manual reboot is required (I rebooted the system ~20 times so far)

- My RBR50 is connected to a Motorola MB8600 but the issue was always in the RBR50

Message 41 of 46
vajim
Master

@Orbiuser2021 wrote:

Thanks Vijam, I agree it worked great seemingly until the time change so I second the firmware thought.

I have disabled the trafic meter, hope it works (as I have followed the advise in several other posts that did not resolve). 
But these issues are not acceptable to me - not from a company like Netgear. The suggestion that these bugs have existed for a while is frustrating. People having to rely on what expert users post in forum messages to keep their high dollar system working is very disturbing.

Thanks

I've had my Orbi for nearly 5 years (and several Netgear products before that) and I can tell you what works for me.  Once I find a stable firmware, I'll hold off updating unless the systems begins to become unstable and the thought is a firmware update may bring it back to being nice.  This has worked for me for years.  There are others in here (2 sides to every story) who are adamant about jumping on the next firmware as soon as its released.  That's fine IF all firmware were created equal which is not the case.   By the time I update the latest version has been around for awhile.  Looking back over some forum posts, even the version I currently have (2.5.2.4) when first released had problems and it was several months before I grabbed it.  Long story about how Netgear used to handle firmware updates to where now it's pretty much up to the user.  They claim firmware updates with security fixes are auto-pushed, although I haven'r seen one in over year.

It's your choice, your system.  Lots of folks in here will say you're jeopardizing your network security.  To that I say IF someone wanted to tap into my network they can do it regardless of what security firmware I'm running.  

As I stated the Orbi is a fine router/sat and if left alone it'll prove it can handle things fairly well.  Good luck my friend!

Message 42 of 46
vajim
Master

@Orbiuser2021 wrote:

A bit more on my symptoms:

- The internet connection started dropping on 3/15/21. Before then I had not experienced this issue in ~1 year.

- Firmware in RBR50: 2.7.2.104

- Web interface shows internet connection as 'good' while there is no internet

- Android app shows 'offline' and a red dit next to the RBR50 (can't reboot from phone, have to use the web ui or pull plug)

- Connection drops anywhere from every 2 hours till ~12 hours 

- Internet does not seem to come back by itsself, a manual reboot is required (I rebooted the system ~20 times so far)

- My RBR50 is connected to a Motorola MB8600 but the issue was always in the RBR50

2.7.2.104 is plagued with the Traffic Meter flaw and the daylight savings time screw up.

Uncheck the Traffic meter if checked.  

Message 43 of 46
Orbiuser2021
Tutor

Vajim,

Quick update - so far no internet drops in 24 hours - you were right on the trafic meter feature probably causing the issue I had. Thanks for your help.

Orbi, Netgear, maybe time to send the customers who registered their RBR50 with you that your firmware and/or app is flawed. You know to find your customers daily with sales pitches - would be good if you try to prevent them all having to go through this and request help on a forum to keep your products working.

Message 44 of 46
vajim
Master

@Orbiuser2021 wrote:

Vajim,

Quick update - so far no internet drops in 24 hours - you were right on the trafic meter feature probably causing the issue I had. Thanks for your help.

Orbi, Netgear, maybe time to send the customers who registered their RBR50 with you that your firmware and/or app is flawed. You know to find your customers daily with sales pitches - would be good if you try to prevent them all having to go through this and request help on a forum to keep your products working.

Thanks for the update 

in the future once your system stabilizes you may want to hold off with an another firmware update. Yeah I know about the supposedly security risk but this method has worked for me for years. Your choice

now bring on the flames and arrows my armor is on 

Message 45 of 46
Thompa3642
Tutor

HI there,

I was having excactly the same issue after updating the ORBI RBR50 to the latest software. I also updated the Satellites - but with regular diconnection from the internet, I managed, eventually, to download the update for updating one Satellite.

I disabled 'Traffic Meter' and the system has been stable ever since..staying connected all of the time -  but it seems slower... espcially on my Windows 10 desktop which is connected by WiFi..

I thought it was our ISP, Virgin Media, but they checked their end and saw no issues. The modem did appear to be functioning correctly - but I kept seeing 'Internet disconnected' messages. This happened every 5 minutes or so and rebooting the Orbi would often take care of it, but occasionally, I had to reboot both the modem and the router.

Hope this helps!

Allan

Message 46 of 46
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 45 replies
  • 22 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7