Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 no internet on WiFi for some Devices

dettrie
Guide

RBR50 no internet on WiFi for some Devices

We’ve been using an Orbi RBR50 router plus one satellite. We have multiple devices connected through wifi, including several WiFi lights, cell phones, tablets, etc. within the last month several devices constantly lose their internet connection while still connected to the Orbi, including my cellphone, which has the Orbi app installed.
I’ve checked the firmware of the router and the satellite, and both are up to date.
When a device is not connected to the internet, I turn the main router off, the turn it back on and the device is able to connect again. Sometimes this lasts 1-2 days, sometimes only minutes.
At the same time some devices can not connect to the internet other devices are still able to access the internet on WiFi. I also have one laptop that is always connected through a wired connection and it never loses internet.
When my phone loses the internet connection and I open the Orbi app, the app indicates it can’t connect to the router. My phone shows it’s connected to my network but has not Internet access

I’m at a loss as to what to try next. It’s getting very frustrating to reset the router on a daily basis. I’m about at the point of replacing the router.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBR50 no internet on WiFi for some Devices

@dettrie wrote:

I’ve checked the firmware of the router and the satellite, and both are up to date.

Confirming that the FW is update to date is not always a safe bet.

How long have you gad your Orbi and has it ever worked fine before this problem?  

Message 2 of 13
dettrie
Guide

We’ve had the router for just over 2 years. It worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago. Nothing has changed with the setup, outside of adding additional devices that connect to WiFi and then updating the firmware when it stopped working.
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@dettrie wrote:
We’ve been using an Orbi RBR50 router plus one satellite. We have multiple devices connected through wifi, including several WiFi lights, cell phones, tablets, etc. within the last month several devices constantly lose their internet connection while still connected to the Orbi, including my cellphone, which has the Orbi app installed.
When a device is not connected to the internet, I turn the main router off, the turn it back on and the device is able to connect again. Sometimes this lasts 1-2 days, sometimes only minutes.
At the same time some devices can not connect to the internet other devices are still able to access the internet on WiFi. I also have one laptop that is always connected through a wired connection and it never loses internet.
When my phone loses the internet connection and I open the Orbi app, the app indicates it can’t connect to the router. My phone shows it’s connected to my network but has not Internet access

I’m at a loss as to what to try next. It’s getting very frustrating to reset the router on a daily basis. I’m about at the point of replacing the router.

Message 4 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@dettrie wrote:

With the statement from the OP..."We’ve had the router for just over 2 years. It worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago."......most of this post should NOT be necessary and adds little to no value to the trouble shooting process.

Message 5 of 13
dettrie
Guide

I’ve tried each channel for 2.4g and 5g.

Enabling beam forming did not help.
Enabling MIMO resulted in nothing working.

Everything except daisy chain was already disabled. Disabling daisy chain didn’t help.

I didn’t see a way to see 20/40 coexistence to 40, unless it’s just unchecking the box, which didn’t help.

My house is about 2400 square feet. We have the main Orbi upstairs and the satellite downstairs, both in central locations.
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Message 7 of 13
dettrie
Guide

The router is upstairs, the satellite is downstairs. They’re probably about 60 feet apart from each other if they were on the same floor. Their positions haven’t changed since we originally set them up.

We have an Arris TM822G modem provided by our ISP.

The router and satellite are both on firmware 2.5.1.8
Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@dettrie wrote:
We’ve had the router for just over 2 years. It worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago. Nothing has changed with the setup, outside of adding additional devices that connect to WiFi and then updating the firmware when it stopped working.

any time 'YOU' update the FW your network may be suspect.  If after trying all of the offered suggestions with no satisfaction, you may want to roll your FW back to where you believe it was the last time it worked.  In the past if you did manual FW updates, you may wan to stop that practice.

Message 9 of 13
dettrie
Guide

It wasn’t working before I updated the firmware either. When I first started having problems I read through the Orbi troubleshooting steps and updating the firmware was one of the suggestions. When I say I updated the firmware, all I did was press the check for updates button and it updated.
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

@dettrie wrote:
The router is upstairs, the satellite is downstairs. They’re probably about 60 feet apart from each other if they were on the same floor. Their positions haven’t changed since we originally set them up.

We have an Arris TM822G modem provided by our ISP.

The router and satellite are both on firmware 2.5.1.8

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? if not, I would. 

Then configure the following:

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only by un-checking the check box. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 11 of 13
dettrie
Guide

The factory reset did not help. I changed the password but kept the same name. With all the defaults, the same devices that have been having problems (my iPhone, my husbands galaxy phone, a Nintendo switch etc) were able to connect but with in 30 minutes started to lose internet (they still show connected to the network, they just don’t have Internet).
I enabled Beamforming and restarted the router. No change. I tried each 2.4 channel indicated below and each of the 5g channels. No change. Enabling MIMO resulted in all of my devices losing Internet. The only thing not disabled already was daisy chain and 20/40 coexistence. Disabling these and restarting did not change the ability to sustain a connection on the devices having problems.

I’m back to auto for 2.4g and 44 for 5g with Beamforming enabled, 20/40 coexistence unchecked and daisy chain disabled (along with the things that were already disabled).

When I look at available wireless networks, I see one other network with a very low signal. Based on its name I assume it’s a neighbor that is diagonal from me, separated by our back yards. That wireless network is a secure network, Ive never connected to it. That network has also always been available (my neighbors have lived there as long as I’ve lived here.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like maybe the Orbi system is faulty and needs to be replaced. I would try to return the system to where you got it and get another or make contact with NG support and ask about an RMA.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7