Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 not downgrading firmware

imrazzed
Aspirant

RBR50 not downgrading firmware

In the past I had some large issues with awful connection and I jumped through hoops for weeks trying to fix it, I finally fixed it by downgrading the firmware to an older version. This issue has come up again so I went back to downgrade the firmware as NetGear for some reason forces updates on their users. I've tried downgrading the firmware of my Sattelite to version 3.5.30 multiple times, each time it starts loading and before it gets to 100% the system restarts and comes back online with the current version. I've tried doing this wirelessly and while connected to the Sattelite, I even tried doing it while connected to the main Home Orbi. I've tried resetting the whole system multiple times and no matter what I do it's not downgrading the firmware.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 not downgrading firmware

Message 2 of 5
imrazzed
Aspirant

I tried that firmware but I had the same issue, I factory reset my Orbii and finally got it to downgrade to 2.3.5.30 but still having the same issues. Awful connectivity where games have insanely high ping spikes leaving everything unplayable.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If thats the case then problems maybe coming from ISP modem or ISP services. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Are you wired or wireless when gaming? 

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@imrazzed wrote:

I tried that firmware but I had the same issue, I factory reset my Orbii and finally got it to downgrade to 2.3.5.30 but still having the same issues. Awful connectivity where games have insanely high ping spikes leaving everything unplayable.

There have been many posts on the forum complaining that the Orbi auto-updates to V2.7.3.22 by itself, so even though the downgrade was successful, it may not have stayed on that version.  There are two methods to prevent the router from auto-updating, but each has "pros and cons".

Would it be convenient to connect the gaming computer directly to the ISP device for a test?  If the ping spikes exist when the Orbi is not part of the network, then the issue is probably the ISP network.  If the ping spikes disappear, then the focus remains on the Orbi.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7