Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 password recovery failure

DirkO
Apprentice

RBR50 password recovery failure

HI All,

So when logging in to my base station I was prompted to change my password because of security.

So I used a password manager and gave it a strong 20 character including 3 numbers and 3 symbols.

However my password manager didn't register the log-in so I lost this password.

Trying to recover by using the routers serial what then gives me the predefined questions to answer.

So after answering the questions I see the Login name and password flash by and then disappear.

So after successfully answering the security questions it go's to the page that would show me the password but only literally for a second and then it routes flashes to the question page. after giving the answers again it moves to the serial page again.

??? very strange behaviour 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try a different browser, IE11, FF or Opera. 

Clear all browser caches, exit the browser then relaunch and go to the routers web page. 

Message 2 of 33
DirkO
Apprentice

I knew you where going to ask for the browser info 🙂

Sorry for the delay but I did manage to record to error.

First of I'm on a mac (High Sierra 10.13.6) I tried both Chrome and Safari.

I did a reset of my browser cashes and even did a reboot but still the same behavior.

I even went thru the trouble to spinup a windows VM and try edge + Chrome, they both had the same behavior.

So I thought i will be smart here and I used my iphone to record the screen and then i look at it frame by frame until I could read the password ...... clever boy..... however when attempting to use the recoverd from the video password I'm still not allowed to log in.

So maybe the password is too long ? or it has characters that it cant handle ?

password = dH=48{8D72kC)ellaJRG

I have no problem with reseting the router and giving it a new password, it runs in bridge mode so no big deal but I would like to know what the problem is and if this is a password restriction why didn't I get a popup "password not allowed" and what part is not allowed ?

I attached a video file in real speed indicating the behaviour.

(o no I didn't because forum doesn't allow video's, you can download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqmtpbx1y8e6oex/IMG_0441.m4v?dl=0)

Cheers,

Message 3 of 33
DirkO
Apprentice

I also tried using the iphone but also same problem

Message 4 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try setting a shorter more simple PW and see if this changes behaviors. 

The Admin PW doesn't have to be long or complex. 

Message 5 of 33

@DirkO wrote:

Trying to recover by using the routers serial what then gives me the predefined questions to answer.

Did you actually set up the answers to those questions?

There is a bug in some devices in Netgear's implementation of password recovery. You can get locked into a close loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process because you can't answer the questions.

I've not seen Orbi implicated in this one before, but you never know.

Message 6 of 33
DirkO
Apprentice

Ha Ha, "The Admin PW doesn't have to be long or complex". Until they hack you and copy all your data, I'm sure I can write a whole book with horror stories of people with poor passwords getting hacked. Russia and China salute you.

I can recall a story that happened less then a few months ago where a email provider had to close shop because they had a weak password exploit somewhere in there system, hackers got in, wiped all the hard drives and backups because the hackers had admin access. I'm pretty sure that guy now wishes he had a better password.

I'm sorry, don't want be a ass but I just don't think using a simpler less secure password is the answer to this problem and I would even dare to argue that you should never ever advise anyone to use a weak password. Everybody should use a password manager and obscure unique difficult passwords for all there logins.

I'm back up and running with the wifi, reset button in the back, restore from backup and bang back to normal.

(With a weak password however)

This doesn't change the fact that the software got stuck in a loop and locked the admin out from access. This needs to be fixed. There should also have been a a software trap to catch these Non complaint passwords. A guide of some sorts for what is allowed and what is not would be appreciated.

Thank you for your advise.

Message 7 of 33
DirkO
Apprentice

HI,

Yes, those questions where setup.

If you watch the short clip, you will notice it accepts the recover than redirects to the correct page but immediately redirect you back to the recovery page.

Seems like a bug hopped the orbi train 🙂

Thank you

Message 8 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Never havehad issues with less complex router web Admin PWs since I've been using routers. PW is for the LAN side connection unless you have remote admin enabled and you give someone your PW. 

Try a factory reset and then walk thru the setup wizard and re-input the information. I haven't seen this PW loop issue with my Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 33
DirkO
Apprentice

Well lets just say then that I know a lot more malicious people then you 🙂

Did the reset, I'm back up and running, but there is no way to deny that this is just a bug in the software and this should not happen.

Cheers,

D.

Message 10 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 33
Lori_H
Aspirant

Ugh - I'm having the same issue you described.  And when the password flashes up on the screen for a second I'm positive it is the password I've been trying to login with 😞   I really don't want to have to reset everything.  😞 boo. 

Message 12 of 33
feignit
Star

I too have this issue, I now am forced to log into my routers via Safari because Chrome just keeps asking me to reset my password after the password field flashes by for a fraction of a second.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@feignit wrote:

I too have this issue, I now am forced to log into my routers via Safari because Chrome just keeps asking me to reset my password after the password field flashes by for a fraction of a second.

are you and the poster before you using the orbilogin.com or   192.168.1.1 ?

Message 14 of 33
feignit
Star

Both. No difference.

Message 15 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@feignit wrote:

Both. No difference.

as  FURRYe38 suggested, try all available browsers.  You may want to reboot your PC (you are using a PC and not a APP?)

Message 16 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear out all browser caches and saved PWs with in Chrome. Then exit Chrome then re-lauch and see if the log in page comes up correctly for you. Seems like a Chrome issue if Safari works. 

Message 17 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Be sure to clear out all browser caches and saved PWs with in Chrome. Then exit Chrome then re-lauch and see if the log in page comes up correctly for you. Seems like a Chrome issue if Safari works. 

Isn't Safari a moble app browser?  

Message 18 of 33
feignit
Star

Done, same issue. Even happens in Chrome incognito mode. It's as if there's some cached file that just wont go away.

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Both. FF and Opera have both as well. 

Message 20 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya seems like something in Chrome is holding on to prior something. I presume since Safari works, FF and Opera will as well.

@feignit wrote:

Done, same issue. Even happens in Chrome incognito mode. It's as if there's some cached file that just wont go away.

Message 21 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

never heard whether the user is trying to login using a PC or mobile device

Message 22 of 33

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When it comes to password recovery, many of Netgear's manuals specifically state:

"This recovery process is supported in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome browsers, but not in the Safari browser."

Message 23 of 33
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When it comes to password recovery, many of Netgear's manuals specifically state:

"This recovery process is supported in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome browsers, but not in the Safari browser."

The reason I asked is because of i've heard of others trying to login to their Orbi router using a Iphone app and were told to use a PC.

This might help....https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95606?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Message 24 of 33
feignit
Star

Here's a video of what happens

https://imgur.com/a/GWTxbhM

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation