Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 performance degradation after 2.5.0.38 firmware update

MacrossMike
Apprentice

RBR50 performance degradation after 2.5.0.38 firmware update

Hi everyone,

Updating my Orbi RBR50 router and RBS50 satellites to the latest firmware release package (2.5.0.38) seems to have resulted in a significant deterioration of my network's performance.

Before I explain further, let's forestall any well-meaning but useless "advice" by noting that I have already tried the usual "Orbi update sucks" diagnostic steps including:

• Factory resets of the Orbi router and all satellites in the network (tried 3x).
  • Clean installation of the Orbi router and satellite firmware from the latest-available package on the support portal's downloads area (tried 2x, on 2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40 hotfix).
  • Verified that the network performance falloff is occurring "south" of the WAN connection between my cable modem and the Orbi RBR50 router via on-router Speed Test, wired connection direct to the cable modem, and independent corroboration via a service call from one of my ISP's service techs to confirm that the network "north" of the cable modem is functioning normally and experiencing no performance falloff.
  • Verified that there have been no changes to the configuration or operating environment in which my Orbi system is running except for the update to 2.5.0.38 (and 2.5.0.40).  Even the user-configurable settings in the Orbi router were manually reset to what they were before the firmware update.

After the Orbi mobile app announced to me that there was a pending update (2.5.0.38) and I gave it the go-ahead to install said update and then performed a full factory reset because I hadn't forgotten what a pain in the arse previous Orbi updates were, I began to notice a significant degradation in the speed and stability of my home network.

Once my Orbi system was factory resetted and reconfigured post-update, I noticed almost immediately that the network south of the Orbi was significantly slower on 2.5.0.38.  The in-router speed test reported (within the usual margins of error) the correct full performance of my cable internet connection: ~360Mbps downstream, ~25Mbps upstream.  Speed tests run from client devices (wired AND wireless) on the Orbi network reported virtually identical numbers prior to the 2.5.0.38 update regardless of whether they were connected to a satellite or the router directly.  Post-update, both wired and wireless client devices began reporting 30-80% lower speeds on the same speed test client using the same servers.

Other symptoms noted after the update to 2.5.0.38 included periodic spikes in lag and packet-loss rates.  Pre-update, my typical ping while gaming online was between 32ms and 37ms.  Post-update, my ping now hovers between 44ms and 70ms and jumps (every few minutes) to around 160ms to 250ms with a current record of 890ms.  That's bloody unplayable.  Also, while running Discord, I noticed my upstream ping (typically around 21ms) jumping to over 250ms every couple minutes accompanied by my packet loss rate going from 0.0% to anywhere from 10-25%.

After multiple factory resets, reinstallations of the firmware, etc., the problem persists.  The issue seems to exist in the Orbi itself between the WAN and LAN interfaces.  The Orbi's WAN-facing speed test doesn't experience the slowdown seen by the devices connected using gigabit ethernet or 5GHz WiFi, and I confirmed that its speed test is reporting correctly by directly connecting to the modem using gigabit ethernet and by taking the modem out of bridge mode and connecting to its 5GHz WiFi and running the same speed tests to the same servers and getting the expected full performance of my connection.

I don't know if the Orbi has a hidden QoS client running or something along those lines, but something in the 2.5.0.38 (and in the 2.5.0.40 hotfix) firmware is broken to the point that it's preventing connected devices from getting anywhere near the full network speed of the WAN even if they're the only client on the network.

If anyone has any useful advice not on the list above or Netgear needs/wants any relevant logfiles from my system to help with developing a fix, I'm all ears.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
MacrossMike
Apprentice

So... after reverting my RBR50 and RBS50s to firmware 2.3.5.30, which Netgear considers the last stable release, the network slowdown that came out of nowhere is gone.  However, this doesn't cure the random spikes in latency that were driving me absolutely spare.  After receiving no meaningful assistance from Netgear's dev team, I've opted to just broom my Orbi setup and replaced it with a more reliable mesh system from another manufacturer.  Specifically, the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 WiFi 6 triple-band system.  It's proving to be much more stable than the Orbi was and thus far has offered slightly better performance, though it's about 1 1/2 times the size and looks like a futuristic take on Stonehenge.

View solution in original post

Message 34 of 35

All Replies
MacrossMike
Apprentice

I should add that the best-case scenario speed test thus far after installing 2.5.0.38 and with no other devices on the network at all is a full 100Mbps slower than my connection's actual speed.

Message 2 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Please, make contact with NG support and file a support ticket:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

What are you ISP Speeds UP and down that you pay for? 

Others have reported having problems with getting anything near 900Mbps WAN to LAN on wired speeds:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 3 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Others have reported having problems with getting anything near 900Mbps WAN to LAN on wired speeds:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

As noted in my original post, my ISP's connection provides a downstream of 360Mbps and an upstream of 25Mbps.

With the (buggy-as-f*ck) current firmware (2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40), both WiFi and wired connections display performance losses of 30% or more.  

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The MyNetgear support site does not offer any option to file a support ticket.

All it offers are links to this community section, which has thus far proved to be pretty useless, and a blatant plug for "premium support" which would be a ripoff at a quarter the price.

Message 4 of 35
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Your best bet is to revert your firmware to an earlier version.  If you do a search you'll fine that 2.5.0.38 has been beat to death with folks posting the same issue as you.

Anothe tip:  STOP performing manual firmware updates. 

Message 5 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

Your best bet is to revert your firmware to an earlier version.  If you do a search you'll fine that 2.5.0.38 has been beat to death with folks posting the same issue as you.

I did actually read a number of threads on the subject, though I didn't find any where the poster delved into the actual symptoms in much greater detail than "my network's slow now" so I couldn't be sure it was exactly the same issue.  (Do the support people actually read the support community at all, or is this just a venue for commisserating over the apparent incompetence of Netgear's dev team?)

WRT reverting, is it actually possible to revert firmware and have it stay reverted now?  

Last time Netgear released a firmware build this disgracefully broken, the only way to stop the Orbi from automatically reinstalling the bad firmware after a reversion was to telnet into the system configuration using ExtraPuTTY and manually turn off the update bit to protect the system from the update for a day or so at most.  That was just more stress than it was worth.

For now, I've worked around the problem by shifting speed-sensitive tasks to a node upstream of the Orbi.

Message 6 of 35
Wire1852
Apprentice

How many times must this be said to correct @FURRYe38?

You can only file a ticket with Netgear on product problems in the first 90 days of ownership unless you buy 2 year contract in the first 90 days.

from the Netgear Website - *The Extended Warranty and Extended Warranty and Support plans only apply to supported NETGEAR products purchased from an authorized NETGEAR reseller. Available to any new or existing customers (US only) within 90 days of product purchase.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 7 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I think this is a bug that has been plaguing Orbi for a while now. Just not in recent FW builds. This has been on going for a while now. 

I haven't seen any slow downs with v38 loaded. I need to load up v40 and test again. I presume I'll probably see the same thing. I do factory resets before and after loading code then setup from scratch and speed test. Even after completing my configuration, speeds are solid on my RBK50 system, 200/10. I don't see any slow downs from the RBR or RBS. My RBR is in a basement area about 30 feet away from the RBR thru two floors. C7800 modem in modem mode only. 

You can contact the forum Moderators and ask about this and precent them with your findings and logs please:

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

I'll be loading up v40 and checking again soon. 

@MacrossMike wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

As noted in my original post, my ISP's connection provides a downstream of 360Mbps and an upstream of 25Mbps.

With the (buggy-as-f*ck) current firmware (2.5.0.38 and 2.5.0.40), both WiFi and wired connections display performance losses of 30% or more.  

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The MyNetgear support site does not offer any option to file a support ticket.

All it offers are links to this community section, which has thus far proved to be pretty useless, and a blatant plug for "premium support" which would be a ripoff at a quarter the price.

Message 8 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Since I don't know when users purchased there systems, I have zero idea what there warranty status is nor will I ask. It's up to users to check there status and get in contact with NG support, if there warranties are over, then contacting one of the forum moderators to get options is recommended. I don't work for NG so I don't have warranty status access for users. 

We troubleshoot here in the forums only. If we exhaust all troubleshooting efforts, then users need to seek help from NG support. 

Good Luck. 

@Wire1852 wrote:

How many times must this be said to correct @FURRYe38?

You can only file a ticket with Netgear on product problems in the first 90 days of ownership unless you buy 2 year contract in the first 90 days.

from the Netgear Website - *The Extended Warranty and Extended Warranty and Support plans only apply to supported NETGEAR products purchased from an authorized NETGEAR reseller. Available to any new or existing customers (US only) within 90 days of product purchase.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 9 of 35
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Since I don't know when users purchased there systems, I have zero idea what there warranty status is nor will I ask.

Why not ask or if you're truely interested in helping state the 90 day period in your post.  Simple

Message 10 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I haven't seen any slow downs with v38 loaded. I need to load up v40 and test again. I presume I'll probably see the same thing. I do factory resets before and after loading code then setup from scratch and speed test. Even after completing my configuration, speeds are solid on my RBK50 system, 200/10. I don't see any slow downs from the RBR or RBS. My RBR is in a basement area about 30 feet away from the RBR thru two floors. C7800 modem in modem mode only. 

Hm... given what I've seen of this (or similar) issues reported by other community members, I have to wonder if the reason you don't see this issue is that your connection is too slow for the symptoms to be obvious?  Most people reporting this kind of problem are reporting a loss of performance on cable or fiber optic connections substantially faster than 200Mbps.  What I'm experiencing with my Orbi setup on Netgear's latest firmware more or less caps my WiFi and ethernet speeds to 250Mbps or less.  This issue seems to increase in severity roughly in proportion to the connection speeds available on the WAN side.  I'm seeing a falloff of 100Mbps or more at 360Mbps, others using 500Mbps or 1,000Mbps are seeing falloffs of 200Mbps+.

2.5.0.38 was the first update my Orbi prompted me to install in quite some time (6mo+), so I'd wonder if I either missed a bunch of older firmware versions with this issue or if this is an issue that repeatedly breaks when compatibility fixes are added.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can contact the forum Moderators and ask about this and precent them with your findings and logs please:

@Blanca_O 

@Christian_R 

This is helpful information, thank you.  I will contact them with my test data and log files this evening.

Preventing end users from submitting tickets to tech support after the first 90 days seems like a frankly awful idea.  The kind of people who splurge on "premium support" are more or less mutually exclusive from the kind of power users who will be out there identifying issues in the field.  It feels almost self-sabotaging of Netgear to lock problem reporting behind a paywall when they could and should leverage power users as (essentially free) second-tier validation engineers.  My Orbi system's about two years old, so I'm well outside that free 90 day support window.

Message 11 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you Yes, possible that the slow down may occur with higher speeds. You might see if @SW_ notices anything on his end. I believe he has near 900Mbps speeds with his RBR. 

What is the Mfr and model# if your modem or ONT that the RBR is connected too? 

Do you remember the version of FW you had loaded before v38 appeared as available for your system? 

Ya, I think 90 days is not long enough and with what users report in the forums and the forum users trying to help out, seems that NG should be a bit more willing to accept more support tickets after we have exhausted troubleshooting here in the forums. There are moderators available and have seen them in contact with users. They seem willing to at least hear users out and take information regarding bugs found. Recently the device naming one found in v38. Hopefully that seems now fixed in v40. 

Possible there maybe fall off of speeds in FW with higher speed ISP services that may need to be looked into. 

Message 12 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# if your modem or ONT that the RBR is connected too? 

I've got an Arris Group TG3482G Rev.14 cable modem/router combo unit running in bridge mode.

Message 13 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Has the modem been fully powered OFF and back on and then power OFF the RBR then back on and re test performance? 

Message 14 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has the modem been fully powered OFF and back on and then power OFF the RBR then back on and re test performance? 

Yes, power cycling the modem and router was pretty much the first thing I tried when I noticed the problem.

After that and many other tests, I was able to confirm that the slowdown is localized to the LAN side of the Orbi router.  Any device that's connected north of the Orbi's router in the network topology is able to access the full 360Mbps downstream and 25Mbps upstream that I get from my ISP.  Any device south of the Orbi's router (connected DHCP clients) experiences a performance reduction of at least 100Mbps.

Message 15 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

What all do you have connected on the lan side?

Wondering if something could also be making the lan side on the RBR slow down. I would remove all LAN devices and then start by adding one LAN device one at a time to maybe see if the problem appears from the get go or maybe appears with one of the devices you connect. 

If you disconnect all but one wired PC, same thing seen on the PC? 

Backup the rbr config to file and try a factory reset, Walk thru the setup wizard with just the one wired PC connected and the RBR only. Reboot the modem as well. Speed still slow after this reset? 

Re-load the backup config afterwards. 

Revert back to working FW as needed. 

Message 16 of 35
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wondering if something could also be making the lan side on the RBR slow down.

Wow...unbelieveable

I'm pretty sure it's been establsihed that the  2.5.0.38 firmware is the problem.  So why keep grasping for straws?

Message 17 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wondering if something could also be making the lan side on the RBR slow down. I would remove all LAN devices and then start by adding one LAN device one at a time to maybe see if the problem appears from the get go or maybe appears with one of the devices you connect. 

I had considered the same possibility, and after some testing was able to discard it.  This issue does not appear to be connected to any one DHCP client or combination of DHCP clients on my Orbi's network.  It occurs with the same severity regardless of how many client devices and satellites are connected to the Orbi RBR50 router and what types of connections they're using (2.4GHz, 5GHz, ethernet).

This issue is definitely localized to the Orbi router itself.

Based on my testing, it's either a defect in the Orbi's LAN side throttling communications or a defect in the interface between the LAN side and WAN side.  The speed test utility built into the Orbi router's firmware doesn't see this reduction in network speed, nor do any devices connected to the network north of the Orbi router.  However, any device connected south of the Orbi router (as clients on the router's LAN) uniformly encounter this reduction in network speed regardless of what other devices are connected, whether they're a wireless or wired client, what OS they're using, etc.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not nearly enough to produce that kind of slowdown, even if they were all running at once.

Message 18 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@Retired_Member wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Wondering if something could also be making the lan side on the RBR slow down.

Wow...unbelieveable

I'm pretty sure it's been establsihed that the  2.5.0.38 firmware is the problem.  So why keep grasping for straws?

It isn't all that unreasonable a question, but it is something I'd considered beforehand and tested for.

If there were a particular device that wasn't playing nice with the new firmware somehow, a stack of error frames could maybe cause a partial slowdown... but the problem occurs independent of any particular client being connected.

Message 19 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you revert back to last known working FW version, does this restore LAN speeds? 

@MacrossMike wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I had considered the same possibility, and after some testing was able to discard it.  This issue does not appear to be connected to any one DHCP client or combination of DHCP clients on my Orbi's network.  It occurs with the same severity regardless of how many client devices and satellites are connected to the Orbi RBR50 router and what types of connections they're using (2.4GHz, 5GHz, ethernet).

This issue is definitely localized to the Orbi router itself.

Based on my testing, it's either a defect in the Orbi's LAN side throttling communications or a defect in the interface between the LAN side and WAN side.  The speed test utility built into the Orbi router's firmware doesn't see this reduction in network speed, nor do any devices connected to the network north of the Orbi router.  However, any device connected south of the Orbi router (as clients on the router's LAN) uniformly encounter this reduction in network speed regardless of what other devices are connected, whether they're a wireless or wired client, what OS they're using, etc.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not nearly enough to produce that kind of slowdown, even if they were all running at once.

Message 20 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So if you revert back to last known working FW version, does this restore LAN speeds? 

That'd be why I was asking if the Orbi would even let me revert it to an older version permanently... the last time I had an issue that broke my Orbi anywhere close to this badly, the damned thing would always reinstall the latest firmware within a day of me resetting it back to a previous build even if I telnetted into the configuration and turned automatic updates off.

That would be the last test I could conceivably run.

Message 21 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try and attempt to keep the RBR from updating FW. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1745266/hi...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Router-Auto-Firmware-Update-Switch/m-p/1745889/highlight/...

If these work then what you can do is get the FW downgraded. Disconnect the RBR from the modem temporarily while you install the older FW, and get the auto update blocked. Once its blocked, then reconnect to the modem and run your test again...

@MacrossMike wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

That'd be why I was asking if the Orbi would even let me revert it to an older version permanently... the last time I had an issue that broke my Orbi anywhere close to this badly, the damned thing would always reinstall the latest firmware within a day of me resetting it back to a previous build even if I telnetted into the configuration and turned automatic updates off.

That would be the last test I could conceivably run.

Message 22 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

Tried a mitigation step suggested by @Orbi-Roc involving disabling daisy-chain topology, and it did produce a modest improvement in the network speed of clients connected to the Orbi running 2.5.0.38.  Not enough to restore normal performance, but enough to cut the losses from over 100Mbps to around 50Mbps.

Message 23 of 35
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Glad it improved things a bit @MacrossMike .

My understanding is that an avalanche of DoS Attacks can bring a network to a crawl.

The demand placed on a network can also have a drastic impact on speed. From your observations, you were able to tell if the speed deterioration is constant or sporadic (perhaps in tandem with the data demands placed on the network or the number of data-hungry devices connected to it.)

Keep us posted. Good luck!

Message 24 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

@Orbi-Roc wrote:

The demand placed on a network can also have a drastic impact on speed. From your observations, you were able to tell if the speed deterioration is constant or sporadic (perhaps in tandem with the data demands placed on the network or the number of data-hungry devices connected to it.)

Yeah, that was one of the things that pointed the finger firmly at the 2.5.0.38 firmware while I was investigating the problem.  

Most of the client devices that connect to my home network don't have an idle/suspend mode that keeps them connected while "off".  The only devices that remain connected when not actively being used are a pair of Chromecast Ultra streaming pods, an infrared camera that monitors one of my pets, and a pair of cell phones.  Even combined, the idle-time load of those five devices hasn't historically reached the level of being able to impact a speed test at all.  When I first noticed the issue, I'd initially suspected it was my cable internet service being flaky and had disconnected everything so I could do a clean reboot of the cable modem and router.  Only one device was connected after bringing everything back up, and when that invoked the in-router speed test and got normal results followed by running an on-device test and getting over a 100Mbps deficit.  Repeated that same set of tests from every PC and mobile device able to run a speed test one at a time ruled out the idea that it was a particular device, and with only one device on the network at a time it ruled out the idea that it was a loading issue on the network caused by other devices or something related to a particular type of connection.  After my ISP sent service personnel to check my modem and line and they confirmed everything was functioning normally there, that the router's WAN speed test and devices connected north of the Orbi were seeing my full connection speed narrowed the field to something in the router's LAN or in the interface between the Orbi's WAN and LAN since only LAN clients on the Orbi were experiencing the slowdown and stability issues.

One of the moderators I contacted requested my contact info and provided it to the Orbi dev team.  I'm still waiting to hear from them, but hopefully they can get some good test data from my affected system to help develop a fix.

For now, I've worked around the issue for speed- and stability-sensitive clients (mostly my gaming PC) by swapping the modem back to router mode and connecting to it while the less sensitive clients continue to connect through the Orbi while it's a client on the modem's DHCP.

I've got a suspicion that the bizarre uniformness of the slowdown and the issues being mostly localized to Rx comms may be a result of the compatbility fixes made in 2.5.0.38 for certain manufacturers causing issues with antispoofing or another security feature.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7