Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 performance degradation after 2.5.0.38 firmware update

Orbi-Roc
Luminary

Well @MacrossMike , nobody here could ever accuse you of not having done your homework. Do you have any Mac computers on your network; and if so, do they have Bitdefender Total Security running?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 26 of 35
Orbi-Roc
Luminary

@MacrossMike - Please disregard my earlier question about BitDefender TS. Fuzzy thinking on my part.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 35
pablohoney
Luminary

Or do what I had to do to get support whcih is to email their CEO and CTO directly: patrick.lo@netgear.com and mark.merrill@netgear.com for which you will get an email from their support creating a case ID.

They (their IT) will probably get you to go into the debug mode for the Orbi devices and start a debug log capture for which you will then need to uploaqd and send on to them.

Message 28 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you had any more resolution on your CASE ID with NG? 

@pablohoney wrote:

Or do what I had to do to get support whcih is to email their CEO and CTO directly: patrick.lo@netgear.com and mark.merrill@netgear.com for which you will get an email from their support creating a case ID.

They (their IT) will probably get you to go into the debug mode for the Orbi devices and start a debug log capture for which you will then need to uploaqd and send on to them.

Message 29 of 35
pablohoney
Luminary

Their "engineers" are still reviewing the logs. I would have thought for a seemingly simple bug it could be fixed relatively quickly. While not appearing to affect performance it is an annoying bug nonetheless.

Message 30 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I hear ya. I send a Blanca_O my logs as well earlier this year when I started testing for this. It's been crickets since. 

Keep in contact with them every so often. 

I'm getting 1G ISP services today. 

Message 31 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

Well, my tinkering with the Orbi router's security settings seems to have yielded... something?

I wasn't able to find any combination of settings that yielded a return to normal performance after several hours of experimentation.  After my testing was done and I manually re-entered the default security settings, for no reason I can identify the falloff in network speed about half of what it was before I started tinkering (~50Mbps instead of ~100Mbps).  Not a huge difference, all told, but enough to be detectable using a speed test or any speed-sensitive task.  The periodic network lag, however, is apparently unaffected.  Every few minutes on most any online game (tested most extensively using Overwatch 1.4.2.x) the ping goes completely to hell if I'm connected through the Orbi but stays stable if I'm upstream of the Orbi as a client on the cable modem itself.

(I guess it shows the base level of hardware quality that my ping under normal conditions is actually better on the Orbi with the modem in bridge mode than connected directly to the modem in router mode.  Only by a few milliseconds, but it's something.)

I'm going to poke the mods and see if any action is being taken, and if I don't get at least some confirmation and a moderate level of detail that something is being done I'll draft a unpleasant missive to select senior management at Netgear and then revert my system back to the last stable release and keep going backwards until I find one that's not impacted.

Message 32 of 35
jinnyleaf
Guide

.40 hot-fix solved my slow down issues.

Just the same, I think I'm going to revert back to the .30 firmware.

Message 33 of 35
MacrossMike
Apprentice

So... after reverting my RBR50 and RBS50s to firmware 2.3.5.30, which Netgear considers the last stable release, the network slowdown that came out of nowhere is gone.  However, this doesn't cure the random spikes in latency that were driving me absolutely spare.  After receiving no meaningful assistance from Netgear's dev team, I've opted to just broom my Orbi setup and replaced it with a more reliable mesh system from another manufacturer.  Specifically, the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 WiFi 6 triple-band system.  It's proving to be much more stable than the Orbi was and thus far has offered slightly better performance, though it's about 1 1/2 times the size and looks like a futuristic take on Stonehenge.

Message 34 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck and enjoy. 

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements