Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 performance tuning - prioritization/QoS in play?

SrunDMC
Aspirant

RBR50 performance tuning - prioritization/QoS in play?

I'm running the RBK50 system (RBR50 + RBS50) and recently upgraded to fiber internet with 1Gbps upstream and downstream. Now that I have additional capacity, the first thing I did was a speed test from the Orbi advanced settings and Orbi iOS app and I am consistently seeing ~510Mbps download and ~930Mbps upload. 

The upload performance is great, but it causes me to wonder what is happening with the download. Is there some QoS or network prioritization that is causing the router to perform better on upload versus download?

I have tried directly connecting to the modem and performance is more akin to what I would expect there (800-900Mbps upload AND download).

Any other tips to optimize performance?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Do a seedtest from an attached wired laptop or desktop--with WiFi off on the laptop or desktop.  If you get full speed, then everything is good.

Testing with the router as an endpoint doesn't really tell you anything meaningful. This is because routers are optimized to pass data through to the devices on the LAN, not to serve as an endpoint for the data.

Message 2 of 4
SrunDMC
Aspirant

I get your point and that makes sense. I tried the test directly connected via Ethernet to the modem and to the Orbi router and both tests resulted in ~820Mbps download and ~938Mbps upload.

From that perspective, I think I am getting close enough to full speed.

Pivoting from my original question a bit, would it be realistic to try and get close to maximum 802.11ac speed when doing a speedteset over wireless? The same speed test when connected over WiFi (standing directly next to the router) is giving me 384Mbps download and 392Mpbs upload, or approximately 50% of the theoretical max speed.

Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Orbi syncs at a maximum of 867 Mbps on 5Ghz. Actual throughput will be 50-60% of sync speed due to wireless overhead. That’s best case, under ideal conditions with a very capable client.  So, your WiFi speeds are in the normal range.u

You might see a few more Mbps if you move a few feet back and test with a brand new iPhone or laptop associated with the Orbi router (not sat). I get 385-520 with 470 avg with my iPhone 7+.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7