Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 physically connected to RBS50 ???

kitng98
Aspirant

RBR50 physically connected to RBS50 ???

If I have posted this question earlier .. please forgive me because my browser froze and I am NOT sure if it make it out to the community ....

Is it possibe (or even advisable) to physically connect from LAN port of my RBR50 (Router) to the LAN port of my RBS50 (Satellite) via ethernet cable ????

Would that setup (if possible) increase my WiFi coverage ???

Thank you very much for all your help/suggestions

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 physically connected to RBS50 ???

Yes, a "wired" backhaul connection is supported, and performs very well.  How much that will improve your WiFi is sort of complicated.

In order for the WiFi backhaul connection to work well, the satellite needs to be near enough to the router to get a "Good" WiFi backhaul signal, usually indicated on the "app" with a Green Dot, or on the web interface with the word "Good".  Being close enough to be "Good" may make the satellite coverage overlap with the router coverage, so the "net gain" in area will not be tremendour.

Using an ethernet cable, the satellite can be up to 300ft (cable distance) away from the router.  This, of course, is ridiculous, because there would be a "dead zone" in between them.  Depending on the shape of the house being covered, a wired connection might provide even coverage from farther away than a WiFi connection.

My feeling is "Luck You".  If I could string an ethernet cable, I would switch over in a heartbeat.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, a "wired" backhaul connection is supported, and performs very well.  How much that will improve your WiFi is sort of complicated.

In order for the WiFi backhaul connection to work well, the satellite needs to be near enough to the router to get a "Good" WiFi backhaul signal, usually indicated on the "app" with a Green Dot, or on the web interface with the word "Good".  Being close enough to be "Good" may make the satellite coverage overlap with the router coverage, so the "net gain" in area will not be tremendour.

Using an ethernet cable, the satellite can be up to 300ft (cable distance) away from the router.  This, of course, is ridiculous, because there would be a "dead zone" in between them.  Depending on the shape of the house being covered, a wired connection might provide even coverage from farther away than a WiFi connection.

My feeling is "Luck You".  If I could string an ethernet cable, I would switch over in a heartbeat.

Message 2 of 5
kitng98
Aspirant

What about hard wiring a tplink access point to the RBS50?
My problem is that my old house was built with stone blocks — kills the Wi-Fi signal!!
And I need good connection to my garage Ring camera....
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I think a TP-Link access point connected to the satellite with ethernet cable would work GREAT.

I just paid $15 for mine because the $11 refurbished one was going to take a week.  (The HORROR!)

Good Luck

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Reference:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

@kitng98 wrote:

If I have posted this question earlier .. please forgive me because my browser froze and I am NOT sure if it make it out to the community ....

Is it possibe (or even advisable) to physically connect from LAN port of my RBR50 (Router) to the LAN port of my RBS50 (Satellite) via ethernet cable ????

Would that setup (if possible) increase my WiFi coverage ???

Thank you very much for all your help/suggestions

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7