Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 providing poor (<5mbps) download speeds to entire network (both wired and wireless)

RBR50 providing poor (<5mbps) download speeds to entire network (both wired and wireless)

I've had an Orbi RBR50 for about two years. For some reason, it has started to provide incredibly slow speeds to the devices on the network. My service package is for 200mbps download, and if I plug directly into the modem I get that 200mbps download. However, running a speed test from the router itself yields a 5mbps download speed and running tests from devices on the network generally gives around 3.

I haven't changed anything in the configuration in a while. I shut off both wireless networks and ran it just wired devices, and then unplugged all the wired devices except my PC, and still the same.

Firmware version is V2.5.1.8. There are generally around 20 devices total on the network, though as I mentioned even with just a single device I'm having the same experience.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 providing poor (<5mbps) download speeds to entire network (both wired and wireless)

Do you have Circle or Armor enabled? Some users are seeing problems with Circle enabled recently in v2.5.1.8. The fix is to disable it. 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? If not, please try this. 

What was the resolution on this post? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-experiencing-slow-wired-connection-and-frequent-router/m...

Just curious as you didn't come back with any futher information on it...

Message 2 of 21

Re: RBR50 providing poor (<5mbps) download speeds to entire network (both wired and wireless)

I do not have Circle or Armor on. Factory reset maybe I screwed up, because I tried it last night and used the pin and stuff, waited until the power light was flashing amber after holding the pin in for about five seconds, but all of my settings were still there when I rebooted. Perhaps I need to try harder.

The previous issue with slowness went away with a factory reset. The disconnects, generally several times a day, have persisted, and I just live with them.

I'll try harder on the factory reset and see if it helps.

Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. v2.5.18 is not the problem. Working well for me and others. 

Message 4 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@presidentskroob wrote:

I've had an Orbi RBR50 for about two years. For some reason, it has started to provide incredibly slow speeds to the devices on the network. My service package is for 200mbps download, and if I plug directly into the modem I get that 200mbps download. However, running a speed test from the router itself yields a 5mbps download speed and running tests from devices on the network generally gives around 3.

I haven't changed anything in the configuration in a while. I shut off both wireless networks and ran it just wired devices, and then unplugged all the wired devices except my PC, and still the same.

Firmware version is V2.5.1.8. There are generally around 20 devices total on the network, though as I mentioned even with just a single device I'm having the same experience.

here's your problem:  Firmware version is V2.5.1.8.

Message 5 of 21
NaterGator
Initiate

I promise you this is an issue with firmware.  I have similar problems.  I have an RBR50 with 3 satellites (4000 sq ft home).  I have fiber with 1 GB service.  PC is hardwired to router.  When I first set up network, I was clocking speeds on PC that were equal to speeds clocked when hooked up directly to ONT; anywhere from 866-940ish MBPS everytime.  Over wireless I would get speeds of 380-550 MBPS depending on location within the home.  Following firmware updates (i'm currently running V2.5.1.8) my PC now clocks no higher than 200-240 MBPS and my wireless speeds are no better than 40-90 MBPS.  

I have been round and round with Netgear.  I've changed channel settings to 11 for 2.4 GHz and 40 and/or 48 for 5 Ghz.  I have reflashed router with both current firmware as well as previous versions and done multiple factory resets.  All to no avail.  Netgear is sending a new router, but I doubt that will solve anything because I hooked up a previous RBR50 (I initially bought 1 router and 1 satellite bundle and needed more coverage so I bought 1 router 2 satellite bundle from Costco and added additonal satellite from previous system).  On a whim, I went ahead and hooked up previous router and was clocking speeds hardwired to router with PC as I did with initial setup.  Here's the kicker, in order to for firmware updated satellites to sync with old router, the router has to be upgraded to latest firmware.  And that's where it all goes to hell.  Once I did that, same awful throttling of speed as stated above.  And when I reflash firmware back to old and do factory reset, the speeds don't improve.  Has to be something lingering from firmware upgrade causing the issue.  At any rate, if I can't get a solution soon, I'll be moving on to a different network....Orbi has been a tremendous headache and waste of time.  System is trash with current firmware no matter what settings you use.

Message 6 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

yup...this is your problem V2.5.1.8

fix:  roll your firmware back

Message 7 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

v2.5.18 is not the problem. 

Not true....the number of people who have found relief by reverting back proves you wrong

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

You have the option and choice to go back to FW that had been working for you. 

You can also try Voxels FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Working for others as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Download-speed-cut-in-half-on-wired-connection/m-p/1695372/hig...

If downgrading doesn't work then you have the option to contact NG support and ask for there help and see if a RMA is an option for you. 

Good Luck. 

@NaterGator wrote:

I promise you this is an issue with firmware.  I have similar problems.  I have an RBR50 with 3 satellites (4000 sq ft home).  I have fiber with 1 GB service.  PC is hardwired to router.  When I first set up network, I was clocking speeds on PC that were equal to speeds clocked when hooked up directly to ONT; anywhere from 866-940ish MBPS everytime.  Over wireless I would get speeds of 380-550 MBPS depending on location within the home.  Following firmware updates (i'm currently running V2.5.1.8) my PC now clocks no higher than 200-240 MBPS and my wireless speeds are no better than 40-90 MBPS.  

I have been round and round with Netgear.  I've changed channel settings to 11 for 2.4 GHz and 40 and/or 48 for 5 Ghz.  I have reflashed router with both current firmware as well as previous versions and done multiple factory resets.  All to no avail.  Netgear is sending a new router, but I doubt that will solve anything because I hooked up a previous RBR50 (I initially bought 1 router and 1 satellite bundle and needed more coverage so I bought 1 router 2 satellite bundle from Costco and added additonal satellite from previous system).  On a whim, I went ahead and hooked up previous router and was clocking speeds hardwired to router with PC as I did with initial setup.  Here's the kicker, in order to for firmware updated satellites to sync with old router, the router has to be upgraded to latest firmware.  And that's where it all goes to hell.  Once I did that, same awful throttling of speed as stated above.  And when I reflash firmware back to old and do factory reset, the speeds don't improve.  Has to be something lingering from firmware upgrade causing the issue.  At any rate, if I can't get a solution soon, I'll be moving on to a different network....Orbi has been a tremendous headache and waste of time.  System is trash with current firmware no matter what settings you use.

Message 9 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You have the option and choice to go back to FW that had been working for you. 

You can also try Voxels FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...

Working for others as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-Satellite-setup-some-thoughts-and-questions/m-p/1695...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Download-speed-cut-in-half-on-wired-connection/m-p/1695372/hig...

If downgrading doesn't work then you have the option to contact NG support and ask for there help and see if a RMA is an option for you. 

Good Luck. 

@NaterGator wrote:

Still in denial?

Message 10 of 21
NaterGator
Initiate

Really wish you all would read my entire post before responding with suggestions I already outlined as attempted and failed.  As far as attempting FW reversion, let me be more specific.  If I revert to firmware version 2.3.5.30, there is no change in performance.  Any FW version prior to that, and I can't get satellites to sync so though I may see improved throughput with wired connection to PC, my wireless network coverage is then insufficient....and wireless is what serves 98% of my devices. 

As for an RMA, I have already had one issued and new a router is on the way.  I'm highly skeptical it will work, however, because the hardware is clearly not the issue as demosntrated by my use of a completely separate RBR50 router with same results.  And newer router will likely come with the newer FW.

Add up the countless hours of troubleshooting coupled with the higher than average cost I paid for this mesh network given reviews and netgear's claims of industry leading throughput and design.....all to be foiled by software engineers who can't competently roll out functional FW....yeah, VAJim, I'm still in denial.

So in summary, pay $700 for router and satellites, set up, works great, Netgear releases FW update, and performance is now no better than DSL with an old N protocol wireless router.  Bottom line: system of this cost and hype, shouldn't require so much troubleshooting and workarounds....especially as a result of simple FW update.  And phone tech support is the typical laundry list of setting changes to try with no results.  Had hoped to come across something more meaningful within the community....instead, just more of the same.

Message 11 of 21
mactwistz
Aspirant

hi , i just investigate my slow internet speed and i have the same problem as the OP.

here the proof , 4-5 mbit download via wifi , modem tested , i have a 1.5gbit plan.

ive reset both modem and mesh system , still have slow speed , dont know where to start for fix, thanks
Message 12 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mactwistz wrote:
hi , i just investigate my slow internet speed and i have the same problem as the OP.

here the proof , 4-5 mbit download via wifi , modem tested , i have a 1.5gbit plan.

ive reset both modem and mesh system , still have slow speed , dont know where to start for fix, thanks

Firmware?

Message 13 of 21
mactwistz
Aspirant

hi , the latest one 2.5.1.8
Message 14 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
What devices are you using to speed test? Be sure to test wired speeds with a PC or laptop. Wireless speeds will max out at around 400-500Mbps depending upon wireless design and support. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@mactwistz wrote:

Message 15 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mactwistz wrote:

get rid of it....

Message 16 of 21
mactwistz
Aspirant

thanks for your help , i will try it and came back to give news about it , have a nice day
Message 17 of 21
Jack1963
Aspirant

I'm also experiencing issues with the Orbi speeds just in the last week.  Have had the system for over 2 years with no issues and fast speeds but suddenly not so much.  I've been trying everything, resetting, changing settings, etc. with little results.

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Speed test via wired working? 

What device are you using to test speed? 

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-Drop-Connection-time-to-time/m-p/1890341/highli...

@Jack1963 wrote:

I'm also experiencing issues with the Orbi speeds just in the last week.  Have had the system for over 2 years with no issues and fast speeds but suddenly not so much.  I've been trying everything, resetting, changing settings, etc. with little results.

Message 19 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Speed test via wired working? 

What device are you using to test speed? 

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS. 

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-Drop-Connection-time-to-time/m-p/1890341/highli...

@Jack1963 wrote:

Smiley Mad

Message 20 of 21
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mactwistz wrote:

hey furriator....read this

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7