Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 randomly blocking devices and then responding extremely slowly

danielj
Aspirant

RBR50 randomly blocking devices and then responding extremely slowly

I've been having ongoing issues with my RBR50 deciding to block devices (without any input from me). They are not new devices but existing devices that have previously connected without issue. 

Today things seem to have worsened. While previously it was 1 or 2 devices today it was about 15. I think wifi stopped working fully at the same time. When i logged on (via a browser) from a device that was wired, the whole interface was running extremely slowly (took 2-3 minutes to move from the basic tab to advanced, took that long (at least) to open the speed test page, took a similarly long time to open the access control page). I replicated the problem of the extremely slow router response on two devices. When i eventually got the access control page to load it showed the 15 or so blocked devices. I manged to unblock them (and in fact turned off access control completely to try to avoid more problems in the future) and around that time the interface started responding at a normal speed. Worth noting that neither of the devices i used to access the router was blocked (so not an explanation for the slow access speeds). 

I thought i was out the woods but now having turned the satellites back on there seems to be issues with them appearing offline - they have all been on for over 15 minutes and one or another keeps appearing as offline (the problem seems to move between satellites). [maybe this is not ongoing as everything has stayed online for the past 10 minutes or so].

All devices report having up to date firmware (although weirdly one of the RBS20s has v2.5.1.26 and the other two (and the router) have v2.7.3.22)

Am i right that the router is likely on the way out? I have an RBR50, RBS50 and 2 x RBS20. Is there anything i can try to either fix everything up or confirm it is beyond saving?

Thanks for any advice 🙂 

(apologies if anything is not clear, happy to provide more info)

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 randomly blocking devices and then responding extremely slowly

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Is Armor or Circle enabled?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7