Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - rebooting daily after internet via wifi drops

Doug6392
Guide

RBR50 - rebooting daily after internet via wifi drops

(Originally posted to wrong forum; sorry)

Since the latest firmware update (2.7.2.104) I've been rebooting daily. Phone connects w/o internet, some devices connect, some have no connection. I've had the Orbi for almost 5 years, and can't remember having this many issues. I bought Orbi as a housewarming gift for my daughter, and now am wondering if I should have...

Have done factory reset and complete reinstall, and changed NTP setting. Lasted for about 24 hours before phone lost internet via wifi and I had to reboot. Strangely, wifi connection is strong but with no internet. Wired internet connection remains. Not impressed, but happy for any assistance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 52

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - rebooting daily after internet via wifi drops

This appears related to the recent DNS/NTP issue. The router appears to lose the ability to relay DNS requests on any FW version.

To confirm, try to set the DNS on your laptop or phone to something other than the router. No need to roll back.

Here's a link to one of many other threads on this topic:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20...

@lordga wrote:
You can't rollback they firmware. That was the first thing I thought of. Tried the manual process, it doesn't work.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 52

All Replies
lordga
Aspirant

Doug6392,

I thought my router was dying after having it for 3 years! But it's not just you, I'm reading 100s of other posts and it appears to be a combination of the 2.7.2.104 firmware update and DST happening. All of a sudden your WAN connection dies and kills all of your Wi-Fi connections too. Seems like things that are hardwired appear to be fine. So from other posts I've done all of what you did and disabled NTP and Traffic Monitoring. I completed it at 3/20@20:00 and everything still appears to be stable at the time of this post. I'm trying to see if I'll make it 24hrs.
Message 2 of 52
vajim
Master

Since the latest firmware update (2.7.2.104)....seems to be a common theme

roll your firmware back

Message 3 of 52
lordga
Aspirant

You can't rollback they firmware. That was the first thing I thought of. Tried the manual process, it doesn't work.
Message 4 of 52
vajim
Master

@lordga wrote:

Sure you can IF you can find the right (stable) firmware.  Many have done it.  Do a search.

Message 5 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

This appears related to the recent DNS/NTP issue. The router appears to lose the ability to relay DNS requests on any FW version.

To confirm, try to set the DNS on your laptop or phone to something other than the router. No need to roll back.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20...

@lordga wrote:

Message 6 of 52
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@lordga wrote:

This appears related to the recent DNS/NTP issue which is linked to FIRMWARE

Message 7 of 52
Doug6392
Guide

Thanks for the suggestion. So far it's been running uninterrupted for over 24 hours after adopting the NTP fix (untick automatic DST compensation & change time zone one to the east.) Keeping my fingers crossed!
Message 8 of 52
AlaskaDave
Aspirant

Same issue here, was driving me nuts with reboots to modem and router. Didn't seem to happen right after firmware update so didn't really seem to trigger that as being the culprit. I did the DST suggestions, hope that takes. With kid and wife working from home and having interviews coming up reliabe Internet would be nice. Since making these changes are you still good?

Message 9 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@AlaskaDave wrote:

Same issue here, was driving me nuts with reboots to modem and router. Didn't seem to happen right after firmware update so didn't really seem to trigger that as being the culprit. I did the DST suggestions, hope that takes. With kid and wife working from home and having interviews coming up reliabe Internet would be nice. Since making these changes are you still good?

From what I read and what I tested on my RBK50 (1 RBR, 1x RBS wired, 2x RBS via wifi on FW 2.7.2.104), there is only one modification in the settings required (login via web GUI):

-> disable "Traffic Meter" in the advanced tab

-> if this does not help, you can also deactivate DST and use an alternative time server (I guess this is not reuqired)

facts:

- the DNS/disconnect issues are caused by a bug (which is present also in older firmwares)

- the issue usually starts at daylight saving (or a few hours later -> when "DHCP lease" renews the device IP)

- the best/easiest fix is to DEACTIVATE "Traffic-Meter"

Here are a few offical statements from Netgear:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orb-RB40-MAJOR-DNS-Issue/m-p/2074390/highlight/true#M117523

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/DNS-problems/m-p/2074345/highlight/true#M117514

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

Message 10 of 52
vajim
Master

Still looking for for the DNS 'bug' in my old beat up firmware.   It ain't there 

Message 11 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

Still looking for for the DNS 'bug' in my old beat up firmware.   It ain't there 

To clarify:

The issue occurs ONLY when "Traffic-Meter" in ENABLED. If "Traffic-Meter" ist DISABLED, you are fine (also on FW 2.7.2.104).

I tested it last weekend:

- I took a actual save of my config

- then I activated "Traffic-Meter"
- waited around 24h
- on the next day, my network was broken suddenly for many attached devices

- then I done a factory reset of my RBK (incl. the satellites)

- afterward setup from scratch and reloaded the previously saved config (with "Traffic-Meter" disabled)

- and all is fine since then

So, do NOT reply if you are NOT interested in "Traffic-Meter" ! We try to explain the users how to (temporary) fix this issue which also affects older FW (again, with "Traffic-Meter" enabled).
As stated above and several times in this thread, the issue IS CAUSED by a bug with "Traffic-Meter" and daylight saving.

And for the ones they really search for help:
DISABLE "Traffic-Meter" on your system, this helps on the current FW and also on older ones.

Message 12 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

To clarify...I don't have the problem 

now please go away and try to help others

You NOOB, I try that, but you are spamming all threads here in the forum with NOT HELPFUL comments.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

Message 13 of 52
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@vajim wrote:

To clarify...I don't have the problem 

now please go away and try to help others

You NOOB, I try that, but you are spamming all threads here in the forum with NOT HELPFUL comments.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOB

You are certainly confused my friend.  In a forum such as this ALL people can make posts as they see fit.  Just ask @FURRYe38 

IF you don't like my posts, ignore or scroll on.  You are NOT the forum police.  

It sounds and looks like you can't accept an opposing view.  You slamming me provides NO help to others here while exposing your child like behavior.

Message 14 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

The user @vajim has NOT enabled "Traffic-Meter", and he has not tested is on his old firmware.

To the users who still search for help with wifi drops and enabled "Traffic-Meter" -> DISBALE it and you should be fine.

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@vajim wrote:

To clarify:

The issue occurs ONLY when "Traffic-Meter" in ENABLED. If "Traffic-Meter" ist DISABLED, you are fine (also on FW 2.7.2.104).

- waited around 24h

- afterward setup from scratch and reloaded the previously saved config (with "Traffic-Meter" disabled)

So, do NOT reply if you are NOT interested in "Traffic-Meter" ! We try to explain the users how to (temporary) fix this issue which also affects older FW (again, with "Traffic-Meter" enabled).
As stated above and several times in this thread, the issue IS CAUSED by a bug with "Traffic-Meter" and daylight saving.

And for the ones they really search for help:
DISABLE "Traffic-Meter" on your system, this helps on the current FW and also on older ones.

Message 15 of 52
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

The user @vajim has NOT enabled "Traffic-Meter", and he has not tested is on his old firmware.

To the users who still search for help with wifi drops and enabled "Traffic-Meter" -> DISBALE it and you should be fine.

Give it up.....nobody cares what you post.

I did test TM and nothing happened so go back to sleep.

Message 16 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@vajim wrote:

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

Describe your test procedure as I did.

And how long have you tested it ? 5 minutes

Message 17 of 52
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

Describe your test procedure as I did.

And how long have you tested it ? 5 minutes

No....you wouldn't believe me anyway.  Go talk to someone who cares.....shoo....shoo

Message 18 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

I see, you have problems with reading posts which are longer than 10 words.

You have no practical experience with real debugging, sensory problems (with other views than yours) and many other handicaps.

Because: you are the one who does not accept other suggestions ... probably someone can help you in the near future ... if not I don't care

Message 19 of 52
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

I see, you have problems with reading posts which are longer than 10 words.

You have no practical experience with real debugging, sensory problems (with other views than yours) and many other handicaps.

Because: you are the one who does not accept other suggestions ... I hope someone helps you in the near future ... if not I don't care

Are you done.....feel better now?

We can stop this volley ball game and become friends or keep this up for as long as you wish.

Message 20 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

you a friend, not even a good joke, why not you do stop this..

Message 21 of 52
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

you a friend, not even a good joke, why not you do stop this..

I offered to be your friend and share experiences.  If you find that a joke what does that say about your honesty?

Message 22 of 52
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

For the ones who are interested in a possible solution (because a troll an myself have spammed this thred).

possible solution:

- waited around 24h

Message 23 of 52
Doug6392
Guide

Over 48 hours now (well on the way to 72, actually.) Fingers crossed, but the NTP fix seems to have done the trick.🤞
Message 24 of 52
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

vajim, You not the forum police nor you anywhere near qualified to be, let alone be posting in the forums or givein out information.  Everytime someone posts helpful information you dump and spew pointless duplicated false ane invalid infomation. You badger and troll anyone trying to be helpful to others that are looking for help. Don't let anyone talk about there eperiences in a good way but for you is ok to. Your a complete waste of time and air to anyone in this forum. You must have a sad life to come here an dump on anyone giving help. The communiity is not yours to dump in. Go somewhere else. Stop playing the victim when your completely the instegator. You bring this all to your self. 

NetGear, Please ban this user one and for all!!! Stop this once and for all for community sake! 

@vajim wrote:

No....you wouldn't believe me anyway.  Go talk to someone who cares.....shoo....shoo

Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 16 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7