Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 reset - no ssid (ORBIxx), no login/setup possible...

SandySaab
Aspirant

RBR50 reset - no ssid (ORBIxx), no login/setup possible...

Hello.

Having massive problems with my RBR50 after initial 6 months all fine, then ever more dropped connections, wifi ssid unavailable, all started when switching ISP. Tried numerous full resets but the same problem remains - the setup ssid (ORBIxx) does not show up and the even the initial setup is not possible to start. This is true also for ethernet setup as the RBR50 router is not connecting. Two (2) older routers tried in the place of the RBR50 and they BOTH work perfectly fine, both over wifi and ethernet.

Called netgear support, who stated as I'm outside the 90 days I will have to purhcase a support pack (min 85usd) for them to help me walk through their trouble shooting procedure. Eff that...

So can some here just verify;

1. after a complete factory reset (flashing amber led next to power button, white pulsating orb), the RBR50 setup should broadcast the initial setup ssid (ORBIxx) ???

2. To avail of Orbi/Netgear 12-month hardware warranty after the initla 90-days, we will have to first purchase the support package, then go through their troubleshooting sop, and even IF it ends up as faulkty hardware under warranty perdiod, I'm at least an additional 85 usd out of pocket ????

Thanks for any shared insights...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
SandySaab
Aspirant

Betreff: RBR50 reset - no ssid (ORBIxx), no login/setup possible...

....extra info...
Even over ethernet the normally used ip addresses are not working (192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1, etc...) as no ip address is assigned to the wired computer. How can I acivate even a basic lan wired connection to the router, fool proofed?

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 reset - no ssid (ORBIxx), no login/setup possible...

@SandySaab wrote:

1. after a complete factory reset (flashing amber led next to power button, white pulsating orb), the RBR50 setup should broadcast the initial setup ssid (ORBIxx) ??? This is correct.

2. To avail of Orbi/Netgear 12-month hardware warranty after the initla 90-days, we will have to first purchase the support package, then go through their troubleshooting sop, and even IF it ends up as faulkty hardware under warranty perdiod, I'm at least an additional 85 usd out of pocket ???? This is not correct.  There are numerous examples on the forum where customers got a warranty replacement without purchasing a support contract.

Thanks for any shared insights...

Can you comment on the original and new ISP's and what equipment the Orbi was connected to and is now connected to?

The Orbi does not have to be connected to an ISP to be set up.  We had an interesting discussion about a medical group wanting to set up wireless in a relief mission for internal use only.  If it will not perform a "factory reset" correctly when not connected, I think you have a case for a warranty replacement.  Also, after a factory reset, the Orbi default IP should be 192.168.1.1

Message 3 of 6
SandySaab
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

So for the first time I've tried a factory reset without the ISP provided rouyer connected to teh RBR50, which now is completely satnd alone, exceot for the ethernet connection to my proven-to-work laptop. This to avoid any DNS/DHCP sensitivities or issues.

As mentioned it should then at least be contactable via the setup Wifi ssid (Orbi xx) or via ethernet, on 192.168.1.1

Unfortunately, none are working, the ssid is not being broadcast nor connectable via "Other..." and the ethernet is not working at all, ie a lan cable, proven to work in at least 3 other routers, now the only connected device to the faulty RBR50, but is not being assigned any ip address.

That was my last hope....

So how do I go about to proceed with a warranty claim wihtout paying for the support package?

Purchase date: end of March this year...

Thanks for any suggestions or tips.

Message 4 of 6
SandySaab
Aspirant

Can you comment on the original and new ISP's and what equipment the Orbi was connected to and is now connected to?

Both ISPs use a fiber optic box, which is turn has been connected to 2 different Dlink managed routers issued by the respectve ISP. The previuos ISP used a Dlink 850L, the new ISP uses a Dlink 853, both at their standard ISP settings.

However, I'd love for someone to pont me to some heavy hard core trouble shooting sequence, if at all possible. But for now I'd conclude this rBR50 is broken...  Man Sad

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with one of the forum moderators and see what your options are. Ask about an RMA if avaialble.

@Blanca_O 

Good Luck.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7