Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 router suddenly stopped working with solid Magenta light, router states offline

Lylestratton
Follower

RBR50 router suddenly stopped working with solid Magenta light, router states offline

Modem has internet. Port has internet, everything I connect gets internet but the Orbi router. I did a factory reset with the router after resetting the modem and power cycling the router a few times. Every time it comes back solid magenta. I have seen almost every color with this router so I know the difference between the amber and magenta. Satellite seems to be working fine. My devices I plug in are getting about 115Mbps download and 6 upload. The cables are fine and the modem is a netgear nighthawk modem. Any ideas.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 router suddenly stopped working with solid Magenta light, router states offline

Power OFF both RBR and modem for 1 minute. Be sure the modems LAN cable is connected to the yellow WAN port on the back of the RBR. Swap out LAN cable for a good quality CAT6 LAN cable. Be sure your using Port #1 on the back of the modem.

Power ON the modem and let it sync. Power ON the RBR. 

See if top ring LED will eventually turn OFF...

Message 2 of 3
stuartclan
Initiate

Re: RBR50 router suddenly stopped working with solid Magenta light, router states offline

Seeing as you haven't come back to the thread, I'm guessing you resolved your problem, but I wanted to document my scenario I ran into last night (for posterity).

My RBR50 stopped working suddenly and after a reboot (when I was trying to figure out why my internet died) it came back with the solid magenta ring on the router. I attempted several solutions I found in these forums and eventually I noticed there was a new firmware available and after applying it (manually) the internet came back up and I was able to game for a couple hours without issue (online multiplayer & party chat with 2 friends - so definitely using the internet).

However, after gaming I checked my internet with my laptop and it was completely down again (makes very little sense). Rebooted the router and the solid magenta was back (this time with no firmware upgrade to bail me out).

Once again I scoured these forums but nothing seemed to make sense (and I didn't feel like factory resetting the device - too many custom settings and is more of a sledgehammer approach to finding the problem). I finally looked at the logs in the admin console and saw an entry that indicated I was over my 1TB traffic meter limit.

That made sense - it's the end of the month, we're all on home quarantine for COVID-19 and using a LOT more data than usual.

So I disabled my traffic meter limit on the Orbi and voila - the internet began working again and the solid magenta light disappeared.

It would be hugely helpful if the Orbi interface had a nice banner across the top when this situation arose. Its very frustrating that this simple reason, that was known to the device, required me to delve into logs to determine the source of the problem and rectify it. Ideally the router would even send a notification to me when I was getting close to the limit (my ISP sends me notices, but during COVID they've waived limits and therefore I had no indicators).

Just thought this might help some fellow solid-magenta sufferers.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7