Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 satelite loses (wireless) connection when turning of DHCP

JohnJohnson123
Follower

RBR50 satelite loses (wireless) connection when turning of DHCP

I have an RBR50 router together with a satelite - the backhaul is over wifi.

I have a DHCP server wired to the satelite and it seems to work fine.

I then wanted to disable the Orbi DHCP server since I find it a bit limiting. However, when I do that the satelite loses connection to the main router. I do not understand what is going on here, or why it even happens. The main router seems to work fine, and I can log into it (with a static ip of course) and turn on DHCP again.

when I turned DHCP off on the main router I was hoping the satelite would just keep running with it's current IP, but even if it requested a new one (for some reason) I would assume it would recieve one without any problems since it has a wired connection to the DHCP server.

Can anyone here help me understand what is going on?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 satelite loses (wireless) connection when turning of DHCP

I do not have proof, but my guess is that the satellite "knows it's a satellite" and requests DHCP only through the backhaul link.  As a test, you could move the DHCP server (temporarily) to one of the router ports.  My (guess again) is that in a similar fashion, the router "knows" that DHCP comes from the WAN port.  Would be an interesting experiment.  (I wait until the wife is out before stringing my 100ft. ethernet cable through the house and up the stairs.) If the DHCP server maintains a log, you could determine if the DHCP server ever received a request from the satellite.

I doubt that the satellite will "work at all" until it receives an IP.  That is sort of an important part of the startup sequence.

There have been several discussions within the last month about Orbi DHCP.  Perhaps you could  private message one of those members?

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

If you have a different router or DHCP server infront of the RBR, then have you set up AP mode on the RBR? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@JohnJohnson123 wrote:

I then wanted to disable the Orbi DHCP server since I find it a bit limiting. However, when I do that the satelite loses connection to the main router. I do not understand what is going on here, or why it even happens. The main router seems to work fine, and I can log into it (with a static ip of course) and turn on DHCP again.

when I turned DHCP off on the main router I was hoping the satelite would just keep running with it's current IP, but even if it requested a new one (for some reason) I would assume it would recieve one without any problems since it has a wired connection to the DHCP server.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@JohnJohnson123 wrote:

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7