Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 + satellite RBS50 issues with wired DHCP/Backhaul

tsunamie
Aspirant

RBR50 + satellite RBS50 issues with wired DHCP/Backhaul

Setup

I have a wired network on 3 floors. They seem to be able to communicate with one another just fine. On each floor there is a Netgear prosafe GS108. They are connected by Cat5 cables.

On the ground floor I have the following - I have a virgin Media Hub3 with fiber line setup in modem mode. this is connected directly to the RBR50 with software version V2.3.1.48. There is a cat5 cable from the RBR50 to a Netgear prosafe GS108. This Netgear prosafe GS108 is connected via cat5 cable to a switch on the 1st floor. There is a another cable connected from the Netgear prosafe GS108 on the first floor to the second floor. On the first floor there is also a RBS50 (satalite) the version is also onV2.3.1.48.

Problem

Since April 8th. I suspect a firmware update broke a lot of features.

1> DHCP does'nt work any more as expected any more. Devices physically cabeled to theNetgear prosafe GS108 no longer get a DHCP address. Instead it gets a self assign address.

2> The cabeled backhaul does not work any more. It use to be the case that the Saterlite was connected to the Netgear prosafe GS108 on the 1st floor. Now when this occures it seems the satalite is fighting the router station for controkl. As internet keeps droping and trying to get to the admin consol of RBR50 becomes almost imposible. Also the satalite looks like it's dieing.

3> Wierdly if the device is directly connected to the satalatie or the route orbi itself. the device is able to pick up a DHCP address. If it is connected to the switchs it does not and gets a self assigned on.

Objective

1> I want to be able to connect the orbi to the switchs for the backhaul to go over the cable.

2> I want to connect devices to the switchs and pick up DHCP address. This was definatly the case in April. 

Issues were reallt visable from Yesterday when the auto update for V2.3.1.60 was installed

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure Daisy Chain is disabled.

When connecting the satellites via wired back haul, connect 1 satellite first via wireless, then once you get the BLUE led on top of the satellite, connect the LAN cable between the satellite and Orbi router. Wait for up to 5 minutes for the top LED to turn BLUE. Once this is done, do a IP address reservation for the satellite ON the Orbi router. Save and apply.

"Issues were reallt visable from Yesterday when the auto update for V2.3.1.60 was installed" Huh? Smiley Surprised

Auto update or did you select to update to v60 in the FW update section since it was notifiying you that it was available? 

You might try a factory reset and setup from scratch after v60 is loaded as a last resort. 

Message 2 of 5
tsunamie
Aspirant

Thanks FURRYe38

Saw the following - 

1> I used a LAN tester for the cable between Ground Floor and 1st Floor.  http://www.fiber-optic-equipment.com/distinguish-t568a-t568b-rj45-ethernet-cable-wiring.html

It was wired as a cross over cable.

2> I also note that on the 1st floor the switch is a GS105.

3> The Cable from the 1st floor to the second floor was also setup as a crossover cable.

Did the following.

1> Used lan tester and chasnged the connection between each switch from a crossover cable to a patch cable.

2> again confirmed that the link light is on.

3> turned off diasy chaining as sudgested

4> Reconnected the orbi salalite on the first floor to the GS105

Results

1> Wired Baclhaul works now.

2> DHCP works on the 1st floor and second floor.

Problems

1> I still can't get a DHCP assigned address on any machin on the 2nd Floor

Message 3 of 5
tsunamie
Aspirant

Thanks FURREYe38

Checked and did the following

1> Between the GS108 on the Ground floor and the GS105 on the st floor was a cross over cable. I changed that to a straight patch cable. (Rewired the heads) 

This seems to have fixed the issue concerning the backhaul and being able to accept DHCP requests on the 1st floor.

Also followed the sudgestion to turn of diasy chaining.

2> Can't get DHCP assigned address on the second floor. I rewired two cables going to the 2nd floor from the lioft and used a LAN tester on it. Signal is good.

a> When I connect the cable to the Saterlight Orbi on the 1st floor and the other end to a laptop on the 2nd Floor I get DHCP.

b> When I connect the cable to the saterlight on 1st floor and the other end to the GS108 (2nd floor) and then my laptop to the GS108 (2ng floor)  I don't get DHCP assign ip address and just a self signed on.

However when connecting the GS108 (2nf floor) (Link light on the GS108 shows activity) to the GS105 on the 1st floor the link lights don't turn on.

This is driving me mad!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like this maybe a LAN switch issue. Swap around switches to check behavior. Remove them one at a time to test. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7