Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 says NO NEW FIRMWARE but stuck on V1.8.0.6

Bruinjedi
Aspirant

RBR50 says NO NEW FIRMWARE but stuck on V1.8.0.6

Hello. I bought my ORBI in February of this year from Costco. I have had no issues but I am curious about the fact that I have never been able to update my firmware online or manually. Mine is stuck on version V1.8.0.6. It always says NO NEW FIRMWARE VERSION AVAILABLE. On my app, it has always had the red UPDATE button but never allows me to update. When I go to settings and router (on app), there is no CHECK FOR UPDATES button, just a REBOOT button. Thoughts?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

To get from old 1st generation FW, you need to install v2.0.0.74 first on the RBS then the RBR lastly. Then you can migrate to v212, on the RBR then lastly v30. After applying v74 on the RBS you should be able to go directly to v30 on the RBS. It's the RBR that needs the intermediate v212 before v30. 

@Bruinjedi wrote:

Hello. I bought my ORBI in February of this year from Costco. I have had no issues but I am curious about the fact that I have never been able to update my firmware online or manually. Mine is stuck on version V1.8.0.6. It always says NO NEW FIRMWARE VERSION AVAILABLE. On my app, it has always had the red UPDATE button but never allows me to update. When I go to settings and router (on app), there is no CHECK FOR UPDATES button, just a REBOOT button. Thoughts?

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
Bruinjedi
Aspirant

Message 2 of 11
jotinkarter
Aspirant

What to do after getting into this?

Message 3 of 11
Auguste
Aspirant

The firmware v1.8.0.6 the router is currently on might be too old, which is causing the firmware update online check process to fail.

Can you describe the issue you're experiencing while trying to manually update the firmware from the web interface?

The steps can be found here:

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

For the RBR50 / RBS50, the latest firmware is v2.3.5.30. But you must update to v2.2.1.212 as an intermediate step before updating to the latest firmware.

Update to this first: Firmware v2.2.1.212 Link: https://kb.netgear.com/000060612/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-2-1-212

Update to this right after: Firmware v2.3.5.30 Link: https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30

Unzip the .zip file and upload the .img file to the router from the manual update process in the web interface.

It's recomended that you update any satellites first before updating the router. Note this image:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/answer_media/images/RBS50_img1.png 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

To get from old 1st generation FW, you need to install v2.0.0.74 first on the RBS then the RBR lastly. Then you can migrate to v212, on the RBR then lastly v30. After applying v74 on the RBS you should be able to go directly to v30 on the RBS. It's the RBR that needs the intermediate v212 before v30. 

@Bruinjedi wrote:

Message 5 of 11
Bruinjedi
Aspirant

Yes, I read the pre-existing strings about this topic and tried to update to the intermediate version first and it tells me that it is the incorrect file. However, it is the IMG file unzipped from the Netgear website. For my model, there is only a router update, no separate satellite firmware updates. RBR50 (NOT V2).
Message 6 of 11
Bruinjedi
Aspirant

How do I find V2. 0.0.74?
Message 7 of 11

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Apply v74 to the RBS first then RBR, Then follow up with v30 directly to the RBS, You'll need to then apply the intermediate v212 to the RBR then v30 lastly. That order should work for you. 

@Bruinjedi wrote:
Yes, I read the pre-existing strings about this topic and tried to update to the intermediate version first and it tells me that it is the incorrect file. However, it is the IMG file unzipped from the Netgear website. For my model, there is only a router update, no separate satellite firmware updates. RBR50 (NOT V2).

Message 9 of 11
Bruinjedi
Aspirant

Thank you all immensely. Worked just as you said once I located the older version.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements