Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 setup help!

Remifentanil
Guide

RBR50 setup help!

Hey guys n gals I need some guru help! I have a Vodafone connect isp router/modem and an awesome rbr50 Orbi. I need parental controls for my naughty minions! So I need the Orbi in router mode. Trouble is isp modem not have a bridge mode. How do I overcome this?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@Remifentanil wrote:

If I use option 2 - and expose the host/DMZ function on the ISP vodafone router... is it going to be risky to me.... am I allowing hackers etc in? I am running Armour on the Orbi.

The short answer, "No."  A lot of Orbi users are connected directly to a "modem only" (which is option 1), and thus their Orbi in router mode is totally exposed to the internet.  Orbi's built-in firewall provides ample protection against hackers.  I, personally, collect the Orbi log (for entertainment value).  So far, the logs for June have recorded over 800 hacking attempts that were identified and repulsed.  In addition, the firewall does not accept incomming connections unless the user specifically creates exceptions to the firewall rules.

Using the Orbi as a router exposed to the internet is how it is expected to be used.  As for Armor, I have no idea what it "adds". (I believe there is a community forum specifically directed at Armor.)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 7
Remifentanil
Guide

Firmware 2.3.1.60

Message 3 of 7
Remifentanil
Guide

If I use option 2 - and expose the host/DMZ function on the ISP vodafone router... is it going to be risky to me.... am I allowing hackers etc in? I am running Armour on the Orbi.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Remifentanil wrote:

The short answer, "No."  A lot of Orbi users are connected directly to a "modem only" (which is option 1), and thus their Orbi in router mode is totally exposed to the internet.  Orbi's built-in firewall provides ample protection against hackers.  I, personally, collect the Orbi log (for entertainment value).  So far, the logs for June have recorded over 800 hacking attempts that were identified and repulsed.  In addition, the firewall does not accept incomming connections unless the user specifically creates exceptions to the firewall rules.

Using the Orbi as a router exposed to the internet is how it is expected to be used.  As for Armor, I have no idea what it "adds". (I believe there is a community forum specifically directed at Armor.)

Message 5 of 7
Remifentanil
Guide

Thank you so much. I have setup primary isp Vodafone router with dmz to Orbi..... works like a dream and nearly twice as fast! Thank you - much appreciated!
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements