Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 setup with network switch

aidenmcdaniel
Aspirant

RBR50 setup with network switch

I am going to be setting up my RBR50 with a network switch. The reason for this is because I'm on a community network with no access to the main network modem. Currently I'm setup using a linksys wifi router with the wifi turned off. This way I could turn off and on the linksys router much as you would using a regular modem for setup. Would I then setup the new switch in the same way? I only have one main network jack in my house - to expand it, I require the switch. Has anyone configured their orbi in this way?
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 setup with network switch

Yes, like I said, if you need a switch then install one at the walll out let then connect the RBR to the switch. But nothing else can connect to the switch. If you need more ports in back of the RBR, then you can add a switch here as well. 

Good Luck. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to ask the Mfr of this switch or your network administrator/ISP  if your network. IF there already is a private network, you could configure the Orbi system for AP mode. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 13
aidenmcdaniel
Aspirant

I dont quite understand? The main community comcast modem sits in a basement electrical closet in the main common house. According to the orbi setup instructions, I would plug the orbi into the modem and reboot the modem. Not possible for me to do this. Instead that modem is constantly on and running the network for the whole community. I'm simply plugged into a network jack in my house - which is on a patch panel. Because there is only one main line, I can't patch my office network jack into the main line, and the orbi. Instead, I will be plugging the switch into the main port, and running a patch from the switch to the network jack in the office, and then from the switch to the orbi. I'm just wondering if this setup will be similar to what I had with the linksys wifi router?
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would first try connecting the RBR to the wall jack and see if it gets the signal. 

Have a wired PC or laptop connected to the back of the RBR and use a web browser at 192.168.1.1 and look at the Basic tab or Advanced Tab pages to see if the RBR reports the Internet connection after you connect the RBR to the wall jack to the Yellow port on the back of the RBR. 

Message 4 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

It would help to see a rough diagram of these parts. Nothing fancy, just sketch it out in pencil, scan or take a photo of it, and attach it using the "Browse" button in the lower left.

Just off the top of my head, the Orbi router should simply "drop in" where the Linksys is.  They are essentially the same thing (WiFi router), except that the Orbi does not have antennas sticking up.

Message 5 of 13
aidenmcdaniel
Aspirant

Yes - I know that the Linksys and Orbi are the same thing essentially. What I'm asking is how to replace the linksys with a switch. Attached is the photo
Message 6 of 13
aidenmcdaniel
Aspirant

I need something in between the network jack and the orbi, because I'm not plugging directly into a modem and therefore cannot power cycle the modem.
Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You can, just nothing else attached to the switch be sides the RBR...

Message 8 of 13
aidenmcdaniel
Aspirant

I appreciate all the help you are trying to give friend - but I need to install a switcher. The orbi would then plug into that switcher. I'll just give it a go and see if I'm successful. Thanks for trying though.
Message 9 of 13
aidenmcdaniel
Aspirant

Understood - but how do I connect the switcher? --Do I just turn it on and plug into the orbi?
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, like I said, if you need a switch then install one at the walll out let then connect the RBR to the switch. But nothing else can connect to the switch. If you need more ports in back of the RBR, then you can add a switch here as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This is a good practice, but is not technically correct.

Let me start by commenting there is no need to "power cycle the modem".  Yes, it is often recommended as a good practice, but your situation is not "normal".  Adding a switch to the picture does not accomplish this.

The entire complex is being "fed" by a modem and a router (not simply a modem).  A modem accepts only a single device, and the Comcast modem is supplying internet to a bunch of "houses".  The link that appears on Jack #12 of the patch panel is connected to an ethernet port on that router, as are patch panels in other houses.  (An easy way to verify this is to look at the IP address on the WAN port of the Linksys.  If it is a "private" IP address, that is an indication that your Linksys is connected to a router.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network 

If you connect an 8-port switch to port #12 on the patch panel, then each device that is connected to that switch will get an IP address from the central router, just like the Linksys router did.  When you then plug the Orbi/Linksys into the switch, it will create a different private IP space on the LAN side of the Orbi/Linksys.  Anything connected to the Orbi/Linksys will have internet access, but it will have no access to other devices that are connected directly to the switch.

This is why @FURRYe38 (and I recommend (a) replacing the Linksys with the Orbi, and (b) if you need additional ethernet ports, attach the switch to the Orbi.

There are situations where the ISP modem has fixated on the MAC address of the router that has been attached and refuses to recognize a new MAC address.  That is what resetting (or power cycling) the modem accomplishes.  This is not your situation.

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually can be good and bad if the user doesn't understand how switches work or the intent of the use of the switch is. It's technically correct, however may not be a normal configuration. Would be a corner case use or last resort kind of thing. Most of us understand the from a wall outlet ISP with not in room ISP HW, the first device connection should be A NAT router. However placement and such may cause some to want to move the router farther away from the wall outlet or have other considerations. Most cases a longer LAN cable could be used. Or a switch can be used but wouldn't be really needed. IF the ISP is providing NAT abilities upstream from the wall out let, then a switch could be connected at the wall out let then everything else to this switch. Again corner case an not see in most avgerage home configurations. 

Hope they can get the Orbi connected properly and enjoy. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7