Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 shutting down LAN wired ports

David79NL
Aspirant

RBR50 shutting down LAN wired ports

Hi, 

My setup has been working for months like this and only last weekend i have started to see problems. 

My internet is connected to the router of the provider who passes it through to the RBR50. From there i have a cable connecting a Moca (Internet over coax) adapter going to an Orbi satelite upstairs. Reception up there is poor and this setup provides a stable 1G connection. The Moca adapter (Hirschmann brand) does the same thing on the other side - it connects to a coax cable and then connects the Orbi. To the network the adapter is transparent.

Last saturday evening the connection to all of my wired clients and to clients connected wirelessly to the upstairs Orbi completely dropped. I did a few restarts and eventually got it working without finding the root cause. 

Yesterday the same thing happened again. When i disconnected the cable from the Moca adapter all the other ports came up again almost instantly. 

While the cause clearly seems to be the adapter - i am wondering  what is causing the Orbi to shut down ALL ports. Is there something in the DEBUG logs i can look for ? 

OS version V2.5.2.4

Thank you ! 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
David79NL
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 shutting down LAN wired ports

The Powerline adapters arrived and are currently working - fingers crossed it stays that way. I can always play around with the Moca's later to see if they are somehow faulty. 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 25

All Replies
David79NL
Aspirant

I found this a couple of times in the soap agent log: 

{2020-12-22 16:28:43}[agent.c:1108] kill last soapclient pid 1018 is 0
{2020-12-22 16:28:43}[agent.c:403] satellite 38:94:ED:BE:XX:XX disconnect
{2020-12-22 16:37:24}[agent.c:1130] config check start, config is satellite, delimiters is
{2020-12-22 16:37:24}[agent.c:1134] config satellite1 is 28:80:88:FC:XX:XX 192.168.1.19 RBS50 5LT29XXXXXXXX -74 V2.5.2.4 1 28:80:88:FB:50:A9 5GHz 2
{2020-12-22 16:37:24}[agent.c:1134] config satellite2 is 38:94:ED:BE:XX:XX 192.168.1.13 RBS50 5PV198XXXXXX -100 V2.5.2.4 1 28:80:88:FB:50:A9 5GHz 0
{2020-12-22 16:37:24}[agent.c:1134] config satellite3 is
{2020-12-22 16:44:52}[agent.c:472] SOAP AGENT: update acl config, run AccessControl to sync to all satellite
{2020-12-22 16:44:52}[agent.c:517] satellite 38:94:ED:BE:XX:XX reconnect

Google doesnt give me anything and the log also does not tell me about the disconnected wired ports. Satelite 2 is the one connected via Moca. 

Message 2 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your ISP modem working in? Router or Modem?

I would remove these moca adapters and try the RBS wirelessly connected to see if the RBS works ok. 

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Also you might revert back to v16, Ive found that v4 and follow on version of FW cause problems with ethernet connected RBS. 

Message 4 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

The ISP device is working as a modem.
Without the Moca’s it works but the connection to the RBS is very bad.
Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the Moca adapters are the problem...Any chance of running a Cat6 lan cable instead out the remote RBS? 

Message 6 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

I wish - i am sure i could rip out the coax and replace it with a cat6 but thats exactly what i wanted to avoid ;). Will try a pair of avm powerline adapters today.
Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You cn test the RBS via ethernet as a quick test with a LAN cable in the sane room to make sure that still works. 

Hopefully a PL configuration will fix this for you. 

Message 8 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

The Powerline adapters arrived and are currently working - fingers crossed it stays that way. I can always play around with the Moca's later to see if they are somehow faulty. 

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Glad the PLs are working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 25
jhoff80
Aspirant

I've been having the exact same issue for about the same exact time frame.  I do not own anything MoCA related, but this has been driving me crazy.

My system consists of a RBR50 at one end of my place, with an 8-port unmanaged switch behind it.  That switch is wired with Cat6 ethernet cable to a RBS50 at the other end which has another 8-port unmanaged switch behind it.  This has worked perfectly for literally 2 years until about a week ago.

I've tried every firmware branch.  I was originally on 2.5.2.4, but I've tried 2.5.1.16, 2.6.1.40, 2.7.0.70, 2.7.1.60, and now also 2.7.2.102.  I've even tried the Voxel firmware.  And before anyone asks, I have factory reset on most of these, which has been a real pain in the butt.

I've also swapped out both switches.  Didn't fix it.

The only thing I can think of is that it maybe seems to be tied to either my Philips Hue Bridge (v2, the square one) or my Samsung SmartThings Hub (also v2).  It might be a placebo but it feels more stable when I disconnect both of those.  Is there any chance the OP has either of those as well?

Message 11 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

Hi!

I also have a hue bridge v2 and a unmanaged switch.
Though i never suspected them of being part of the problem.
Message 12 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

@jhoff80 wrote:

I've been having the exact same issue for about the same exact time frame.  I do not own anything MoCA related, but this has been driving me crazy.

My system consists of a RBR50 at one end of my place, with an 8-port unmanaged switch behind it.  That switch is wired with Cat6 ethernet cable to a RBS50 at the other end which has another 8-port unmanaged switch behind it.  This has worked perfectly for literally 2 years until about a week ago.

I've tried every firmware branch.  I was originally on 2.5.2.4, but I've tried 2.5.1.16, 2.6.1.40, 2.7.0.70, 2.7.1.60, and now also 2.7.2.102.  I've even tried the Voxel firmware.  And before anyone asks, I have factory reset on most of these, which has been a real pain in the butt.

I've also swapped out both switches.  Didn't fix it.

The only thing I can think of is that it maybe seems to be tied to either my Philips Hue Bridge (v2, the square one) or my Samsung SmartThings Hub (also v2).  It might be a placebo but it feels more stable when I disconnect both of those.  Is there any chance the OP has either of those as well?

Message 13 of 25
jhoff80
Aspirant

Currently, two TP-Link TL-SG108 switches.

Previously though, a Netgear GS108 at the 'far' end after the RBS50, and a Monoprice one at the near after the RBR50.

As mentioned, worked completely perfectly about two weeks ago.  Since the Hue bridge is a common factor, I'm going to plug back in my SmartThings Hub and leave the Hue bridge unplugged, and see how stable it is with just that.

What's interesting too is that even the network ports directly from the RBR50 die when this happens, not just the ones on the switches.

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not mix branded switches, I would keep to one brand of switch. TP-Links are not known for working well with Orbi systems. 

NG GS-105/108v4, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems.

Also v2.6 and v2.7 versions of FW cause ARP storm with RBS that are ethernet connected. Why I reverted back to v16

@jhoff80 wrote:

Currently, two TP-Link TL-SG108 switches.

Previously though, a Netgear GS108 at the 'far' end after the RBS50, and a Monoprice one at the near after the RBR50.

As mentioned, worked completely perfectly about two weeks ago.  Since the Hue bridge is a common factor, I'm going to plug back in my SmartThings Hub and leave the Hue bridge unplugged, and see how stable it is with just that.

What's interesting too is that even the network ports directly from the RBR50 die when this happens, not just the ones on the switches.

Message 15 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

Mine is a TP-link TL-SG105
Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

And yours IS working? 

@David79NL wrote:
Mine is a TP-link TL-SG105

Message 17 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

The switch yes - but my problem disappeared when i disconnected the Moca. The switch also got disconnected because it was connected to a port on the RBR.
Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for confirming. 

Message 19 of 25
jhoff80
Aspirant

Interestingly, in the roughly 36 hours my Hue Bridge has been disconnected, no issues.

I also see that the Hue Bridge updated on December 8, which is right around the time I started having problems.  I'd think if the problem was the Hue itself that this would be more widespread, but could be that there's some weird config incompatibility on some systems?  Who knows.  I'm going to leave the Hue Bridge unplugged for a few more days and see.

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact the mfr of this one device for additional help and infromation. 

Message 21 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

Problem is back - now with the Powerline adapter. Same symptoms - power cyling the adapter thats connected to the RBR fixes the problem immediately ....

Tried different power plugs and cables - no dice. I also cannot reproduce it - it just keeps on happening - sometimes multiple times a day sometimes not at all.

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to try with out any adapters connected and see if same thing happens...

Message 23 of 25
David79NL
Aspirant

That would be ideal - i agree but running a cable up the stairs for an unknown amount of time is quite an ask and a trip hazard. Moving the satelite down defeats the purpose somewhat 😉 

Could this a be a daisy chaining issue ? I read that it was an issue in the past - but i am not sure that is still causing problems. 

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Disable Daisy chain if it's enabled and see...

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7