Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 slow upload

Squiner
Aspirant

RBR50 slow upload

I have my RBR50 connected directly to my Fios ONT. I don’t have cable tv. I have 100/100 service. Speed tests on a wired laptop to Orbi I get 100/25. When the laptop is connected to directly to the ONT, I get 100/100.

I have the latest Orbi firmware. I’ve seen a few posts recommending changing the various settings such as 20/40 coexistence, Daisy Channing and the like. None of these settings changes resolve the issue.

Can anyone help?

Note: I Recently eliminated the old fios router that was having the same issue with low upload speeds. Verizon said a newer router should fix the issue. I inquired about eliminating the fios router and just using the Orbi and they said they could do that. That’s when they opened the Ethernet port on the ONT to allow the Orbi to be used.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off on the ONT and RBR for 1 minute then back on been performed since last update?
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 14
Squiner
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.

The Orbi firmware is v2.7.0.70.
The ONT MFR is 04/2019 and it’s model # I-211M-L

Power of has not been conducted on the ONT. Orbi has been rebooted a few times. I can try that after my wife finishes work.

I did a setup wizard on the Orbi which appeared to be a set up from scratch. Is that accurate?
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Lets try a full power OFF of the ONT and RBR for 1 minute then back on first before trying a factory reset. 

Message 4 of 14
Squiner
Aspirant

Ok, 1 min power off for both didn’t change anything. I’ll do a factory reset of the Orbi next.
Message 5 of 14
Squiner
Aspirant

Factory reset also didn’t improve the upload speed unfortunately. Anything else I can try? Does disabling the settings have an additive effect? I only tried disabling them one at a time to see an effect.
Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you speed test as soon as the setup wizard was completed? 

Did you enable Armor or Circle features by chance? After a factory reset and setup from scratch with out Armor or Circle and a wired PC behind the RBR should have resulted in seeing to sped speeds. 

Have a different PC or laptop to speed test with to compare? 

Message 7 of 14
Squiner
Aspirant

I did the speed test immediately but I believe Armor was also active immediately. I’ll have to see if I can disable it. I didn’t have Armor before I was having this issue. When I removed the fios router that’s when I purchased it. I don’t have Circle.

It’s interesting, the wired speed varies. Right after reset I was getting 50mbps upload with the Verizon speed test then it dropped back to 20-25 and it was repeatable. Figured the one time at 50 was an anomaly. Speedtest.com gives me 15 upload

Message 8 of 14
Squiner
Aspirant

I’ll try another laptop to see if anything changes.
Message 9 of 14
Squiner
Aspirant

Same results with a second laptop.
Message 10 of 14
Mikey94025
Hero

There are some additional steps and diagnosis steps in the community FAQ: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If nothing helps correct this, you might make contact with NG support about this. Possible the RBR is faulty...

@Squiner wrote:
I’ll try another laptop to see if anything changes.

Message 12 of 14
Squiner
Aspirant

Thanks again for your help. I think I may need to contact Netgear. Unfortunately you have to pay the service fee.
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try sending a forum moderator a message to see if they can help with some information.

@Blanca_O 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7