Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 spontaneously bricked itself this morning - factory reset has no effect - what are my options?

cortex
Aspirant

RBR50 spontaneously bricked itself this morning - factory reset has no effect - what are my options?

I woke up to find I had no wifi and no internet. My two satellites had solid magenta rings. The router had power but no illuminated ring. I I tried to connect directly to the router via ethernet I couldn't get an IP or connect to the config page. I powercycled the router with no effect. After some googling I decided to try "hard resetting" and that also doesn't work which leads me to think it is bricked. No matter if via the regular method (holding the reset button for ~15 seconds per the Netgear video) or via the "30-30-30" method I saw mentioned. The green power light always stays green (never flashes, never amber or any other color) and the resets are having no effect (still can't get an IP, not broadcasting wifi, etc). At this point I've held the reset button for minutes and powercycled it dozens of times and it doesn't do anything. 

After <1 year in use am I really left with three pieces of useless plastic unless I opt to spend money on a new RBR50 router which apparently can simply fail at any time, risking that I have to repeat the cycle? Is it even possible to buy a replacement RBR50 since they seem to be OOS everywhere? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 spontaneously bricked itself this morning - factory reset has no effect - what are my opti

Try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Message 2 of 25
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 spontaneously bricked itself this morning - factory reset has no effect - what are my opti

If tftp doesn't work, try nmrpflash.

I've had luck with that when tftp didn't work. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 3 of 25
alokeprasad
Mentor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Where and what are steps 1 though 5 in that document?

Seems like NG is leaving out some important steps, like how to prepare the router for the TFTP connection...

Message 4 of 25
vajim
Master

@cortex wrote:

I woke up to find I had no wifi and no internet.

Any recent firmware update by chance?

Message 5 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

Thanks but I tried that already via these instructionns and it doesn't work.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client 

The instructions seem to assume that the router still responds to the reset procedure (e.g., both sets of instructions refer to the power LED changing color) but that does not happen on my unit no matter how I reset it. And ignoring that and proceeding anyway results in nothing (pressing PUT does nothing/never completes).

Message 6 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@cortex wrote:

Not that I performed. Does the unit auto-install new firmware? If so I wouldn't know -- and since I can't get to the configuration page I can't tell what firemware it's running.

Message 7 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it didn't work/was not able to flash the firmware. It never detects the router once turned on ("Waiting for physical connection." leads to "Error: Ethernet cable is unplugged."). I tried all the ports. 

Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like your RBR is bad. I would make contact with NG support to see what your options are. 

Message 9 of 25
vajim
Master

@cortex wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@cortex wrote:

Not that I performed. Does the unit auto-install new firmware? If so I wouldn't know -- and since I can't get to the configuration page I can't tell what firemware it's running.

How about the app?

Some are confused about firmware updates using the app.   Unless there are major security updates you are in control.

Message 10 of 25
growly
Tutor

I had a similar problem a few days before you. I logged into the web interface to check something but strangely it wouldn't display the contents of some frames - I would get a server error (I can't remember which HTTP code). That was very weird (NETGEAR: it was broken) so I rebooted the device. It then bricked itself; the power LED flashed RED which, according to the manual, means "corrupt firmware". So I did the factory reset a few times until it blinked the right colour.

I used my phone to download another firmware image and TFTP'd that to the device over an ethernet cable from my laptop. I had to set a static IP in 192.168.1.0/24, but the router responded to 192.168.1.1 and consumed the TFTP image. I then left it for a while. Nothing. I tried again. This time it came up and I could log in.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

How many times did you tri the reset before the LED turn the right color? 

What version of FW were you able to load?

Glad you got it working.

@growly wrote:

I had a similar problem a few days before you. I logged into the web interface to check something but strangely it wouldn't display the contents of some frames - I would get a server error (I can't remember which HTTP code). That was very weird (NETGEAR: it was broken) so I rebooted the device. It then bricked itself; the power LED flashed RED which, according to the manual, means "corrupt firmware". So I did the factory reset a few times until it blinked the right colour.

I used my phone to download another firmware image and TFTP'd that to the device over an ethernet cable from my laptop. I had to set a static IP in 192.168.1.0/24, but the router responded to 192.168.1.1 and consumed the TFTP image. I then left it for a while. Nothing. I tried again. This time it came up and I could log in.

Message 12 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@cortex wrote:

@vajim wrote:

@cortex wrote:

How about the app?

Some are confused about firmware updates using the app.   Unless there are major security updates you are in control.

I had not attempted to update the firmware -- via app or otherwise -- recently. In fact, I have not used the app since the initial setup.

Message 13 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

@growly wrote:

Unfortunately my unit seems to be even more bricked than "corrupt firmware" since the power LED does not change color at all and does not respond to resetting. 

Message 14 of 25
vajim
Master

have you tried this:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

if you you have and it's still under warranty reach ou to one of the moderators here

Message 15 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

have you tried this:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Yes, it doesn't work. The power LED never blinks another color and the device does not reset in any way.

Message 16 of 25
vajim
Master

@cortex wrote:

Yes, it doesn't work. The power LED never blinks another color and the device does not reset in any way.

if  it's still under warranty reach out to one of the moderators here

Message 17 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

@vajim wrote:

@cortex wrote:

if  it's still under warranty reach out to one of the moderators here

It is not under warranty.

Message 18 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Thanks for the link.  Noticed that no Orbi models are included in the ReadMe information.

You have had luck using nmrpflash on an Orbi?

Message 19 of 25
growly
Tutor

This happened at 3 am so my memory isn't the best, but after 3 or 4 factory resets all resulting in the "corrupt firmware" state (blinking red), I acquired and managed to TFTP the firmware across. It then failed to boot, but the error had changed from blinking red to blinking amber. Then I did a reset another couple of times and TFTP'd the image again until it seemed to do the right thing.

/edit: My impression was that the TFTP server was up always in the blinking-red state, but in the blinking-amber state it was only up for a few seconds before boot proceeded at normal.

The firmware version I used to get it "working" was 2.7.2.102.

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Unless your interested in trying this as a last resort effort:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/td-p/2009904/jump-to/first-un...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-1...

You'll need to get your RBR replaced. 

@cortex wrote:

Unfortunately my unit seems to be even more bricked than "corrupt firmware" since the power LED does not change color at all and does not respond to resetting. 

Message 21 of 25
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn I used it on and RBS50 successfully. And know from one of my other forums of it working on an RBR50

Message 22 of 25
cortex
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Unless your interested in trying this as a last resort effort:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/td-p/2009904/jump-to/first-un...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-1...

You'll need to get your RBR replaced. 

@cortex wrote:

So I actually tried this and it did not work. I bought the USB to serial adapter, dissasembled the router, connected with PuTTY but it does not grant access to U-boot. My unit musy be very non-functional (as indicated by the lack of LED color change or any other response from the unit). Thankfully my CC extended warranty protection covered me and I've learned to avoid Netgear products from now on. PXL_20210124_194626805.MP-sml.jpg

Message 23 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 24 of 25
vajim
Master

Nice job 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7