Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 used with cable modem creates unneeded network. How to delete?

Daru
Aspirant

RBR50 used with cable modem creates unneeded network. How to delete?

My system is RBR50, not RBK. I've entered RBR50 several times, deleted this RBK several times, and can't get rid of it.

macOS Sierra 10.12.6, latest firmware

I use an Arris Group cable modem to connect to the internet, and Orbi18 router and three satellites to create my LAN. I changed the Orbi Router to serve as an Access Point, yet it still creates the Orbi18 network. The first time I used it, it did not create the Orbi18 WiFi, but after first use, ever since then, it has created it. I have deleted it from the list of known networks on my computers, but can't do that on iOS devices. 

If there is a moment of disconnect, devices change from my Arris WiFi to the unusable Orbi18 WiFi, which has no internet connection. How do I get rid of the Orbi  network? 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: RBR50 used with cable modem creates unneeded network. How to delete?

The sole purpose of Orbi in AP mode is to create a WiFI network. If you are using Orbi with a cable modem, you should turn off the cable modem's WiFi and use Orbi's.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

The sole purpose of Orbi in AP mode is to create a WiFI network. If you are using Orbi with a cable modem, you should turn off the cable modem's WiFi and use Orbi's.

Message 2 of 7
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Daru wrote:

My system is RBR50, not RBK. I've entered RBR50 several times, deleted this RBK several times, and can't get rid of it.

macOS Sierra 10.12.6, latest firmware

I use an Arris Group cable modem to connect to the internet, and Orbi18 router and three satellites to create my LAN. I changed the Orbi Router to serve as an Access Point, yet it still creates the Orbi18 network. The first time I used it, it did not create the Orbi18 WiFi, but after first use, ever since then, it has created it. I have deleted it from the list of known networks on my computers, but can't do that on iOS devices. 

If there is a moment of disconnect, devices change from my Arris WiFi to the unusable Orbi18 WiFi, which has no internet connection. How do I get rid of the Orbi  network? 

You'll need to explain this again, as I cannot follow what you are trying to do? 

It seems like you have an Orbi - which is meant for WIFI access and you don't want to use it for WIFI - and you don't want to use it as your router (which is the ARRIS) - so why do you have an orbi on your network?

Message 3 of 7
Daru
Aspirant

"Orbi - which is meant for WIFI access and you don't want to use it for WIFI - and you don't want to use it as your router (which is the ARRIS)" 

Arris modem is not my router. Arris makes the connection to Internet. Orbi router and satellites create my LAN. Orbi is creating LAN quite well, covers three buildings, but it also creates an Orbi18 LAN which is not connected to the internet. At least, that's the way I understand it. 

Message 4 of 7
Daru
Aspirant

Yes, that’s what I want it to do. But it seems to be creating two: the one connected to the Arris modem and another Orbie 18 LAN with no internet. The one connected is fine. Serves 3 buildings. I’ll check later, but as I recall, different IP address.

Message 5 of 7
Daru
Aspirant

You are absolutely right. Just checked my IP Scanner, and it does list the Arris as the router,  not the modem. It actually says the Orbi is my modem, which desn't make sense. The cable is atached to the Arris. The mesh sytem seems to be working anyway. I'll see if I can get into the modem; f not, I'll call Northland Cable, but they gave me erroneous information when setting up.

Thank you very much

Message 6 of 7
Daru
Aspirant

My IP scanner does list the Arris as my router and the Orbi as my modem. Backwards.  But my LAN seems to be functiong any way. Northland Cable apparently errrored advising me on setup. I'll get into the Arris and hopefully get it corrected. 

Thank you for your help.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7