Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 vs RBR50v2

arunprasanth
Tutor

RBR50 vs RBR50v2

I have an option to keep either RBR50 or RBR50v2. Assuming RBR50v2 is just revised model to keep manufactoring cost down with mem and port differences which one should I keep? Need help in deciding. 

I loose the USB if I go with RBR50v2 but it comes with 2.5A power supply as opposed to 3.5A in non-V2 (Better power savings). I would like to use USB drive attached to the router if that support comes in the future even w/ low speed. 

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

In practice, they are identical.  You are correct that Netgear reduced the memory in the v2 model, most likely because they discovered it was not being used.  The Orbi's will use the same amount of electricity, whether the power supply is rated at 2.5amp or 3.5amp.

Support for mounting a USB stick will never happen.

If I were in your position, I would keep the second one as a spare. (which, in fact, I did by purchasing one on eBay.)

Message 2 of 4
arunprasanth
Tutor

Thanks for clarifying on the power consumption part. Regarding the spare, do you think RBK50's is prone to failure in the long run? For my 2000sqft, two level home, I finally settled with mesh solution thinking this will solve all problems, after trying several medium powered single routers (archer C4000, RAX45, AX21 routers). All of those single router solution caused high packet loss and/or ping latency with my xbox in living room. I cant centrally locate the router due to cabling from ISP to one side of the house. Before going up to powerful gaming routers, I thought I ll try a mesh. So far I havent seen packet loss at least once in the xbox native network tests. Wired backhaul is not gonna happen for me. Sorry for going detailed on my story while the topic is for something simple.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

My Orbi is going strong after four years.  My mantra, however, is everything can fail.  Cars fail. refrigerators fail. Airplanes fall out of the sky.

Is the Orbi "prone to failure"? I think not.  But, what happens if one day it does fail?  You will have zero internet until Amazon delivers some new product for you to install. Or, you can plug in that spare Orbi, upload the saved configuration, and be back in business in 30 minutes.

I could see a decision not to spend more money to purchase a spare, but if it's already here?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7