Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 wired slow speed

nksaran
Aspirant

RBR50 wired slow speed

I have 50 Mbps download speed and 10Mbps upload speed internet connection. When I connect my desktop directly to the modem, I am getting 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up. When I connect my orbi to modem and connect my desktop to orbi (wired), I am getting 2Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. I tried restarting the router, satalite and etc but no luck. WIFI speed is also 2Mbps down and 10Mbps upload.

Followingis the firmware I have in my Router and Satelite:
RBR50 - V2.5.2.4

RBS50 - V2.5.2.4

Have anyone faced this similar issue and know how to resolve it? Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Also the router reboots randomly 2 to 3 times a day on its own.

@nksaran wrote:

I have 50 Mbps download speed and 10Mbps upload speed internet connection. When I connect my desktop directly to the modem, I am getting 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up. When I connect my orbi to modem and connect my desktop to orbi (wired), I am getting 2Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. I tried restarting the router, satalite and etc but no luck. WIFI speed is also 2Mbps down and 10Mbps upload.

Followingis the firmware I have in my Router and Satelite:
RBR50 - V2.5.2.4

RBS50 - V2.5.2.4

Have anyone faced this similar issue and know how to resolve it? Thanks.

Message 2 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Did this happen before you updated to v4? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

ALso there is more recent FW version avail on NGs manual download site:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Hasn't been posted to the auto up date servers as of yet...

Message 3 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Thanks. It did not happen before v4 firmware update but also this did not happen as soon as I updated firmware v4.

Modem Mfr: Arris, Model: CM8200A

Size of the home is 3300 Sq Ft. Router is in the 2nd floor and one satalite in 1st floor and one satelite in the basement.

I disabled all the features that you had mentioned and restarted the router and Satelites, it did not improve.

I also followed the config sugestion that was mentioned in the link that you had provided (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...), but it did not improve either.

I am going to factory reset and see it solves the problem.

Message 4 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, I was going to mention powering OFF for 1 minute then back ON to see if this changes anything...Keep us posted. 

Message 5 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

I did factory reset and set it up, but the problem still exists. May be the RBR50 having hardware issues. Its just 18 months old router. $350 router lasting just for a year and half is terrible.

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I gather from other user posts that v4 was not great. I even found a problem with it and switches in the mix. 

I would try this newer version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

I have it loaded, however I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. 

Or revert back to v16:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Is the most stable FW IMO...

Message 7 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Thanks, I tried with firmware version-2-6-1-40 and it did not help. So I downgraded the firmware to version 2-5-1-16, and it did not help as well. Its totally strange, getting upload speed correctly but only download speed is the issue.

Message 8 of 22
Danmccune
Tutor

I am having the same problem on my RBR40 Orbit router.  My wired speed is 400Mbps; if I plug into the modem, I get 800Mbps. 

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

And you factory reset after applying v16 then setup from sccratch, not installing Armor or Circle and using a wired PC connected to the RBR and running a speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app on the PC? 

@nksaran wrote:

Thanks, I tried with firmware version-2-6-1-40 and it did not help. So I downgraded the firmware to version 2-5-1-16, and it did not help as well. Its totally strange, getting upload speed correctly but only download speed is the issue.

Message 10 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Yes,

1. I did factory reset. When I did factory reset, the firmware version was V16.

2. I set it up from scratch. I did not enable Armor and Circle. Made sure that Armor and Circle were off.

3. I connected my desktop to the RBR50 with wire.

4. I did speed test with browser by going to speedtest.net and the download speed was 15 Mbps .

5. I did speed test with the Ooklas installable speed test app on the desktop and the download speed was 13 Mbps.

I have attached the screenshot.

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the same result happen with the built in Speed test app on the RBRs web page? 

Message 12 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Yes, same result happen with the built in Speed test app on the RBRs web page.
Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

And you do get to spec speeds with your wired PC connected behind the CM modem with out the RBR? 

Message 14 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Yes, I get spec speeds with my wired PC connected to the Modem without RBR.

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Well seems like something on the RBR is just not happy. I presume you swapped LAN cables between the modem and router. 

I know the 50 series can handle near 900Mpbs:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Only thing I would try is to confirm same thing happens at a different location with a different modem if possible, like a friend or family's place. If the problem follows, then you'll know. 

Message 16 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Yes, I tried with different cables and the result is same with RBR50.

The same setup that I have currently was working fine for the past 18 months, so I believe it might be RBR50 hardware issue. But still, I shall take my RBR50 to my neighbor's home tomorrow, connect it to his modem and check the performance and update outcome here. Thanks.

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Lets us now how it goes. 

Message 18 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

I connected my RBR50 to my neghbor's modem. His download speed is 100Mbps and upload is 20Mbps. My RBR50 having same issue there as wll. When I checked the speed at the modem it 103Mbps download and 21Mbps upload. But when I checked the wired speed at the RBR50, its 18Mbps download and 21Mbps upload. So I connected his router to his modem and checked the wired speed of his router, its 103Mbps download and 21Mbps upload.

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like the RBR is faulty. I would make contact with NG support and ask about this.

Message 20 of 22
nksaran
Aspirant

Talked to Netgear technical support. They advised getting 90 days of phone support for $49.99. This phone support will only cover the technical troubleshooting of software issues, it won't cover any hardware issue.

Hardware warranty expires in 12 months. Mine is 18 months old, so Netgear is not going to fix my router, if it is a hardware issue. So I am not going to get the phone support as we have already done enough troubleshooting as per the suggestions in this forum. It is almost thanksgiving. I shall try a different brand this time. Thanks for your support.

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. 

Good Luck. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 3 in conversation