Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with 2 Hardwire RBS50 and switch Problem

Batdoc31
Aspirant

RBR50 with 2 Hardwire RBS50 and switch Problem

All, 

About to give up despite the large investment Ivemade in Orbi. Originally I had 1 RBR50 and 2 hardwired RBS50 and then 2 RBW20 plugin satellites for a large home. Ive replaced every bit of hardware with a new one which still recreates the problem which is once I connect the switch (hardwired directly to the RBR50 I instantly get download speeds on WiFi from 350Mbps to 50-10Mbps. Wasted several hours with “tech support” over the weekend which was completely useless. 

Any thoughts?? On my last leg here.... 

Have tried isolating the satellites, connecting them wirelessly instead of wired and nothing helps. The only thing Ive noticed is that for whatever reason one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the router is putting out 100 while the other 2 put out 1000? Also tried new router and same issue. 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 with 2 Hardwire RBS50 and switch Problem

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 13
ekhalil
Master

I didn’t get with which configiration you see the reduced speed issue.
You said that you get same results with wired and wireless Satellites. With which configuration do you get the full 350 Mbps speed?
Message 3 of 13
Batdoc31
Aspirant

LATEST Firmware is the most up to date for RBR50 and satellites. Whether hard connected (Ethernet backhaul) or wirelessly connected I get the fast speeds. In either scenario everything starts to fail as soon as I connect the switch reducing my speeds to 5-10Mbps

Message 4 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@Batdoc31 wrote:

........ everything starts to fail as soon as I connect the switch reducing my speeds to 5-10Mbps

1. What switch do you use?
  2. Do you connect it to the Router or Satellite?
  3. What other wired devices do you have attached to Orbi nodes?
Message 5 of 13
Batdoc31
Aspirant

Ive tried multiple switches both new and same problem. Interestingly enough I have a switch connected to one of the satellites and I have no problems its only the switch connected directly to the Orbi router that causes this. 

I have some home audio equipment connected to the main switch in an electronics closet as well as home automation and a verizon network extender. 

Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch?

@Batdoc31 wrote:

Ive tried multiple switches both new and same problem. Interestingly enough I have a switch connected to one of the satellites and I have no problems its only the switch connected directly to the Orbi router that causes this. 

I have some home audio equipment connected to the main switch in an electronics closet as well as home automation and a verizon network extender. 

Message 7 of 13
Batdoc31
Aspirant

I tried 2 different Netgear GS316 (16 port gigabit) switch thinking maybe the switch went bad and even tried a TPlink smart switch. All recreate the same issue!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Batdoc31 wrote:

Message 8 of 13
ekhalil
Master

You mentioned audio equipment connected to the switch. Any mesh speakers (e.g. SONOS)?
Message 9 of 13
Batdoc31
Aspirant

Nope. Just Russound equipment and an nvr and some home automatiom
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, be sure these switches are not managed nor have Green Ethernet features. These featuers seem to be incompatible with Orbi. On managed switches, if you have access to the swithes web page, disable all IGMP protocols. This seems to help with managed switches. 

I believe the 316 has Green Ethernet or Energy Efficient features:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/300-Series_Gigabit_DS.pdf

@Batdoc31 wrote:

I tried 2 different Netgear GS316 (16 port gigabit) switch thinking maybe the switch went bad and even tried a TPlink smart switch. All recreate the same issue!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Batdoc31 wrote:

Message 11 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

@Batdoc31 wrote:

LATEST Firmware is the most up to date for RBR50 and satellites. 

I always am skeptical about the term "Latest Firmware."  

I suggest you verify the no-kidding version and let us know what it is so we aren't talking past each other.

Message 12 of 13
ekhalil
Master

@Batdoc31 wrote:
Nope. Just Russound equipment and an nvr and some home automatiom
  • Any of those devices can have simultaneous Ethernet and wifi cnnections that could cause loops in the network?
  • Do you get the same issue if those devices are not connected to the switch?
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7