Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 with 3 sats

AkoreJepade
Tutor

RBR50 with 3 sats

Router RBR50 in main office front left corner of the house, have a RBS50 in the kitchen, sort of central in the house. Have a RBS50Y in the detached garage which in front of the house and closest to the RBR50 main router, and last a RBS50Y at the back of the house outside. For some reason the back RBS50Y is connecting to the garage RBS50Y which is the fatherest device and as such is showing "Poor" under Backhaul Status. How to I get it to connect to the kitchen unit which is the closest to it?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Even if you power OFF this one RBS for 30 seconds then back ON? It should connect to the nearest RBS, not the RBR. You might try rebooting the RBR while leaving the RBS on to see if they connect in daisy chain.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 17

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@AkoreJepade wrote:

Router RBR50 in main office front left corner of the house, have a RBS50 in the kitchen, sort of central in the house. Have a RBS50Y in the detached garage which in front of the house and closest to the RBR50 main router, and last a RBS50Y at the back of the house outside. For some reason the back RBS50Y is connecting to the garage RBS50Y which is the fatherest device and as such is showing "Poor" under Backhaul Status. How to I get it to connect to the kitchen unit which is the closest to it?

Others have more experience with RBS50Y and may have a better suggestion.  My first step would be to (a) power off the garage RBS50Y, (b) temporarily move the other RBS50Y to the kitchen, (c) sync it to the Orbi system in the kitchen - where it should connect to the kitchen satellite, (d) move it back outside and power it on, then (e) power the garage RBS59Y again.

(whew!)

Message 2 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@AkoreJepade wrote:

If on, turn Daisy Chaining off and see if it fixes it. 

Message 3 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

Daisy chain is already off so I will try steps above and see if it will connect to the kitchen sat. Thanks for the replies!

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@AkoreJepade wrote:

Daisy chain is already off so I will try steps above and see if it will connect to the kitchen sat. Thanks for the replies!

Message 5 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

Down here in Colombia the construction is very hard on WiFi due to it all being cement, adobes, cement block and rebar reinforced concrete due to earthquakes. 30 feet here like 15 feet in a normal house. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats true so ya, closer the better in that case. 

Message 7 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

So I reset the sat and added it back in and now it shows connected to the Main Router but it still shows "Poor" as BackHaul status... from everything I have read it should automaticaly connect to the best signal.... This one does not seem to want to do that.

Message 8 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@AkoreJepade wrote:

So I reset the sat and added it back in and now it shows connected to the Main Router but it still shows "Poor" as BackHaul status... from everything I have read it should automaticaly connect to the best signal.... This one does not seem to want to do that.

If backhaul status is showing poor, you will have to move it closer the the router. If you have a satellite closer, you would have to turn on daisy chaining. The other alternative, if you can't get a good signal is to connect it via network cable. 

Message 9 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

When I swith on "daisy chaining" the Kitchen sat also goes to "Poor" and all still show connected back to the main router. Only the Garage shows "Good". Going to mess around with some moving around and see if I can get better connectivity 

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that the distance and building materials where this RBS is will be a factor on it's status and you might not get a "Good" status for the back haul. Again concrete and steel is not good for wifi signals. 

Message 11 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

I moved the Kitchen sat closer to the main and was able to get good. Back of house sat still is connected to Main router even with "Enable Daisy-Chain Topology"

checked on so not sure why the Back Sat will only connect to the Main router which is at least twice as far as the Kitchen Sat. Not sure if that Daisy-Chain setting really does anything at all. 

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Even if you power OFF this one RBS for 30 seconds then back ON? It should connect to the nearest RBS, not the RBR. You might try rebooting the RBR while leaving the RBS on to see if they connect in daisy chain.

Message 13 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

I will give that a try! Thx!

Message 14 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

All working perfectly now! Powercycle worked and now the Back sat shows that is connected to Kitchen Sat and it shows Good on all three sats! Mil Gracias!

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to do a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 17
AkoreJepade
Tutor

Great idea! thanks! its my neighbors system but I do all his electronic work at his finca so that will save be time next time I reset it. I already had to reset it one time because the access control not working correctly. 

Thanks again everyone for the help! Great support forum here!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7