Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with 5 Satellites WIFI Speed Slow

DM2020
Aspirant

RBR50 with 5 Satellites WIFI Speed Slow

Hi All, I have an ORBI RBR50 with 5 satellites. Version 2.4.23.1 I have Frontier Fiber 500gb/500gb. My wifi speeds have been atrocious. 3-5mb download, 8 mb upload. I am not super tech savvy. Are there any thoughts as to why it is this bad? Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBR50 with 5 Satellites WIFI Speed Slow

That's very surprising.  What wifi client are you using: phone, laptop, etc.?

If you have something to connect directly to the base Orbi router via an ethernet cable then you can first diagnose whether the speed issue is specific to the wifi (probably) or a problem with the internet connection to the base Orbi.

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@DM2020 wrote:
Hi All, I have an ORBI RBR50 with 5 satellites. Version 2.4.23.1 I have Frontier Fiber 500gb/500gb. My wifi speeds have been atrocious. 3-5mb download, 8 mb upload. I am not super tech savvy. Are there any thoughts as to why it is this bad? Thanks in advance.

Message 3 of 10
DM2020
Aspirant

So sorry for the delay. I directly hooked up to the router and got speeds of 3.35mb/6.3mb. Then, I hooked up directly to the modem and I got speeds of 156mb/151mb.

So the problem is in the router. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@DM2020 wrote:

So sorry for the delay. I directly hooked up to the router and got speeds of 3.35mb/6.3mb. Then, I hooked up directly to the modem and I got speeds of 156mb/151mb.

what kind of modem do you have?

you do know that the Orbi requires some sort of modem...???

Message 5 of 10
DM2020
Aspirant

So the modem is Frontier. The Netgear router is the RBR 50 with 5 satellites. The home size is 5700 sqft. The modem is a arris nvg468mq by Frontier. My Orbi is in AP (access point) mode.

Direct connect to modem: 151/156mb.

Direct connect to router: 3/6mb.

There is an issue in the router. I don't know much about settings but I do see the 2.4ghz set to auto and the 5ghz set to 48.

I also highlighted and copied this:

Region Selection
Region:AfricaAsiaAustraliaCanadaChinaEuropeIndiaJapanKoreaMalaysiaMexicoMiddle East(Algeria/Syria/Yemen)Middle East(Turkey/Egypt/Tunisia/Kuwait)Middle East(Saudi Arabia)Middle East(United Arab Emirates)RussiaSingaporeSouth AmericaTaiwanNorth America
Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)
Enable SSID Broadcast
Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)
Preamble Mode Automatic Long Preamble Short Preamble 
Transmit Power Control  100% 75%   50%  25% 

Advanced Wireless Settings (5GHz 802.11a/n/ac)
Enable SSID Broadcast
Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) settings
CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347)
Preamble Mode           Automatic Long Preamble           Short Preamble      
Transmit Power Control  100% 75%   50%  25% 

Backhaul Topology
Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

Backhaul Password
Orbi can generate a new hidden password to improve security for its backhaul connection.
WARNING: Generating a new password might cause the Orbi satellite to lose connection from the Orbi router. To reconnect, use the Sync button.      

Enable Implicit BEAMFORMING - Boosts WiFi speed, reliability, & range for all mobile devices
Enable MU-MIMO
Enable Fast Roaming

RegionNorth America

2.4G ChannelAuto ( 1 )

2.4G ModeUp to 400 Mbps

5G Channel36+40+44+48(P)

5G ModeUp to 866.7 Mbps
Message 6 of 10
DM2020
Aspirant

The modem is Frontier Arris nvg468mq.

Message 7 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@DM2020 wrote:

The modem is Frontier Arris nvg468mq.

that may be one that has a router built in......it can work with the Orbi as long as one is configured as a AP.

otherwise your life will be better off if you get a regular straight up modem (no built router)...IF FIOS will allow it.....

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Swap LAN cables between the ISP modem and RBR. 

Besure your testing the speed with a wired PC first. Use two different PCs or laptops to compare speeds if possible. 

Turn OFF all RBS and test again. If it still fails, I would factory reset the RBR only and setup from scratch and configure AP Mode. 

Power OFF the isp modem for 1 minute then back on. 

Speed test again using a wired PC and Ooklas installable speed test app for windows. 

@DM2020 wrote:

Message 9 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

factory reset is for lost password

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements