Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 with 7 Sats High CPU utilization

AwesomeQA
Apprentice

RBR50 with 7 Sats High CPU utilization

Hello,

I have 5 Sats currently connected to RBR50 ethernet backhaul and 2 sats connected as wireless backhaul with the latest firmware 2.5.1.32.
I noticed that RBR50 CPU runs between 80% to 90% with 25 connected device and armor enabled, devices are cell phones, and smart tvs.

I have fiber speed 500 Mbps download, and 128 Mbps.
I have noticed that internal speed test stops running if the RBR50 runs for a week, and acts weird and slows down, so I have to reboot it weekly.
Do you have any suggestion?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

Now RBR50 CPU  runs from 6% to 30% with FW V2.3.5.30 with 7 Sats with no issues.

It appears to me that FW 2.5.x is too buggy and needs more work.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@AwesomeQA wrote:

Hello,

I have 5 Sats currently connected to RBR50 ethernet backhaul and 2 sats connected as wireless backhaul with the latest firmware 2.5.1.32.
I noticed that RBR50 CPU runs between 80% to 90% with 25 connected device and armor enabled, devices are cell phones, and smart tvs.

That is a LOT of Orbi.  There are two simple experiments that can be tried.

• Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection.  On the Advanced Tab, Setup, WAN Setup.
    Orbi includes routines in the "iptables" function to keep track of connection attempts and writes a message to the log file when the routine flags "an attack".  This consumes processing power as every packet has to be examined.
    Disabling the feature does not make the Orbi more vulnerable, because it will still reject connection attempts.  It simply will no longer go through the analysis and logging phase.
  • Deactivate Armor.  I have no idea what Armor is "doing", but if it is doing anything at all, that will consume resources.

There is one other experiment that is more technical: install Voxel firmware.  An engineer in Europe has recompiled a lot of the software in Orbi to take advantage of processor features that make the system run more efficiently.  Each version of his firmware has a forum thread.  I believe the first version is where he describes the effect of changing compile options.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-v-2-5-0-42sf-hw.60308/ 

The firmware has been updated with each Orbi firmware release and to add various features. The latest version can be found here:

http://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/orbi.html I believe that only the router needs to be changed as an experimet.

We have sort of a mantra on the forum, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."  Although you observe the Orbi CPU load to be high, is it not working to suit you?  Is there a problem you seek to fix?

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this usage capture with everything online including wifi and wired devices or just the RBR and RBS alone? Something to try as well. disable ALL wired and wireless devices. Leaving the RBS online. Check CPU usage...

@AwesomeQA wrote:

Hello,

I have fiber speed 500 Mbps download, and 128 Mbps.
I have noticed that internal speed test stops running if the RBR50 runs for a week, and acts weird and slows down, so I have to reboot it weekly.
Do you have any suggestion?

Message 3 of 10
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

I tried AP mode, disabeling Port Scanning and DoS protection ..etc.

It didn't decrease the CPU usage.

I found the issue is with all  after Firmware Version 2.3.5.30.

I restored my router to 2.3.5.30 now, CPU runs smoothly and no issues.

so I think Netgear should the CPU hogging issue for firmware 2.5.x on RBR50.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

And did you factory reset the entire system after recent FW was loaded and check the CPU usage again? This should need to be checked. 

I believe Orbi wasn't designed to have more than 3-4 supported RBS connected so even if v30 is working ok with 7, maybe more recent version of FW make this more apparent. 

Heres mine with v16 loaded and just two RBS connected:

Basic Infomation
 CPU Load15.0718%
 Memory Usage(Used/Total)145MB/495MB
 Flash Usage(Used/Total)2945MB/4096MB
 Network Session(Active/Total)861/65536
 System Uptime01:21:20:30
Message 5 of 10
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

I found that Netgear removed FW version 2.5.1.32.

Message 6 of 10
AwesomeQA
Apprentice

Now RBR50 CPU  runs from 6% to 30% with FW V2.3.5.30 with 7 Sats with no issues.

It appears to me that FW 2.5.x is too buggy and needs more work.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume maybe. Something to contact NG support about. However again, you may run into problems having more than officially supported RBS which NG would not try to fix for you. 

Current v16 FW is working for me and generally most others. Most stable version IMO though I don't have 7 RBS connected. 

Good luck. 

Message 8 of 10
mith_it
Luminary

Check out this post: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/custom-firmware-build-for-orbi-rbk50-rbk53-rbr50-rbs50-v-9-2-5-1-33...

it looks like Voxel has recompiled the inetd service and released a new version if you want to try it.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7