Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 with AT&T Arris BGW210-700 - setup

Laineybirdy
Aspirant

RBR50 with AT&T Arris BGW210-700 - setup

I would be forever grateful if someone would please give me explicit instructions for setting up my Orbi (RBR50) with my new AT&T fiber router (Arris BGW-210-700) I have been all over trying to find and understand instructions but either the screens don't match or I get conflicting instructions like turn in IP pass through or enable DMZ plus and then even if I wanted to follow those instructions, they don't match what I am seeing on my screens and I can't find the answers. It is my understanding that I need to turn off the WiFi on the AT&T router because there is a conflict between the Orbi and the AT&T. I have spent hours probably overthinking what the heck I am doing and I just would love it if someone would just please tell me what I need to do to make this work. A second thing I don't understand is naming the network. My AT&T Arris network has a name (SSID) and my Orbi has a name. Do I then tell people to log into the Orbi or the AT&T? Ugh! So confusing. I would be forever grateful for any help so I can understand what the heck I am doing. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

ouple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. <I don't believe this option is supported on your model modem. 
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode. https://www.att.com/support/smallbusiness/article/smb-internet/KM1188700
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Please give option #2 a try. 

Message 2 of 21
Laineybirdy
Aspirant

Thank you for your response. I am still unable to get it to work. Option 2 didn't explain how to do the IP pass through DMZ thingy with the Arris AT&T modem. It only gave instructions for a Motorola or a Pace, so I couldn't do it. Also, option 3 - turning of WiFi radios then configuring AP mode didn't work. I was unable to get back to the orbilogin page after trying it and had to completely reset my Orbi and start all over. PLEASE, PLEASE, I BEG YOU, can you direct me to exact instructions on how to do this. I have tried so very hard and have spent the ENTIRE day trying to figure this out and watching videos and it is 4:45 and I am back to square one. If I had any idea who to call, I would gladly pay someone to come out and fix this for me. I am very frustrated at Netgear for not having specific instructions on how to set this up. AT&T uses zillions of these Arris modems for their fiber connections so someone must be able to explain how to do this. 

Message 3 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Laineybirdy wrote:

I would be forever grateful if someone would please give me explicit instructions for setting up my Orbi (RBR50) with my new AT&T fiber router (Arris BGW-210-700)

Yes, this situation is more confusing than one would hope it should be.  Can you please answer a few questions:

• Is the AT&T service being used only for internet, or does it also provide telephone service?
  • Is the Arris BGW-210-700 connected to a fiber ONT (the red ethernet jack on the back)?
  • Do you already have any devices connected to the Arris BGW-210-700 (computers, TV's, etc.)?

To start with, the Orbi can be used simply by connecting the Orbi yellow (WAN) jack to one of the yellow jacks on the back and turning on the power to the Orbi.  It should wake up and "just work."  There are a few things about doing this that are sometimes a problem:

• This will leave you with two WiFi networks in the house.  If all you want is to access the internet, it doesn't matter which a device connects to.  But, it is certainly confusing and most people would rather disable the Arris WiFi.  As the Arris User Manual points out on page 12 (Arris BGW-210-700 ) you can use a web browser and navigate to http://192.168.1.254 and enter the code printed on the Arris label.  This will bring up a configuration web site which will have an option on it to disable the WiFi.
  • Having two WiFi access points physically close to each other may cause interference.  Getting rid of the Arris WiFi will take care of that (see above).
  • Having the two routers creates what is called a "Double-NAT" which in specific situations causes real problems.  That is why people are prompted to change one of the two devices from a router to "something else."  i.e. turn the Arris into "simply a modem" or turn the Orbi into "simply an Access Point."
  • Connecting devices to both the Arris and the Orbi can also cause weird issues, like not being able to "find" a printer or a network storage device.  (That's another reason people try to get rid of "Double-NAT")

Now, if the answers to the questions at the top are:

• Only internet.  No phone.  No TV.
  • Connected to the Fiber ONT.
  • Nothing is already connected to the Arris

Unplug the cable from the Arris (red) ONT jack, plug it into the Orbi, and power on the Orbi.  It may just come up and work great.  If not, call AT&T service and say, "I have removed the Arris and plugged in my own router."

Message 4 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you contact your ISP. They can help you configure there modem for use with the IP Pass-thru feature. 

https://www.att.com/Common/storefront/resources/pdf/att_bridged_mode_vs_ip_passthrough_nov2012_v3.pd...

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Arris/BGW210-700_-_ATT/IP_Passthrough.htm

@Laineybirdy wrote:

Thank you for your response. I am still unable to get it to work. Option 2 didn't explain how to do the IP pass through DMZ thingy with the Arris AT&T modem. It only gave instructions for a Motorola or a Pace, so I couldn't do it. Also, option 3 - turning of WiFi radios then configuring AP mode didn't work. I was unable to get back to the orbilogin page after trying it and had to completely reset my Orbi and start all over. PLEASE, PLEASE, I BEG YOU, can you direct me to exact instructions on how to do this. I have tried so very hard and have spent the ENTIRE day trying to figure this out and watching videos and it is 4:45 and I am back to square one. If I had any idea who to call, I would gladly pay someone to come out and fix this for me. I am very frustrated at Netgear for not having specific instructions on how to set this up. AT&T uses zillions of these Arris modems for their fiber connections so someone must be able to explain how to do this. 

Message 5 of 21
Laineybirdy
Aspirant

Thank you so much for that explanation - now it makes perfect sense and I understand why I am having issues with the WiFi. To answer your questions:

1. The AT&T service is also providing telephone service.

2. The Arris is connected to a fiber ONT

3. The only thing I have physically connected to the Arris is the Orbi modem but there are other devices that are connecting to the AT&T network and not the Orbi network. I'm not sure if your question was do I have anything physically connected.  I have seen a screen showing devices that are connected and most are connecting to the Arris. I think this is what you explained with the double NAT - there are two networks. 

Would it be true that if a device is connecting to the Arris, the signal wouldn't be as strong as if it is connecting to the Orbi - (which is why I have the Orbi)? I have two satellites yet since this new setup (AT&T fiber/Arris), I am getting slow internet in some parts of our house. So, turning off the WiFi on the Arris should help this and is easy but turning the Arris into simply a modem is the complicated part. I have been having issues with finding my printer.

I have a question about "Connecting devices to both the Arris and the Orbi can also cause weird issues, like not being able to "find" a printer or a network storage device.  (That's another reason people try to get rid of "Double-NAT")." I don't understand this. I guess I don't understand how devices connect to a network. Is it true that those devices connected physically to the Orbi satellites like my garage door opener, Phillips Hue, and Solar, are connected to the Orbi network. Those devices like the Ring Doorbell and cameras that are looking for a network wirelessly, I can choose the network they connect to. Are they actually connecting to both networks somehow? Can I tell those devices that are connecting to the Arris network to forget that network and reconnect them to the Orbi which is giving me better range, turn off the WiFi on the Arris, and this may solve the problem? 

Is all of this still secure? 

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try to figure out how to turn the Arris into a simple modem on my own and calling AT&T is a pretty awful experience. So, I guess a good question is: Can I have the Arris network just exist and tell all my devices to connect to the Orbi network, turn off the Arris WiFi, and this will solve the problem? 

Thank you for your patience and help!

Message 6 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/What-s-the-Difference-Between-a-Cable-Modem-an...
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I think your best and easiest configuration would be to try Option#3

Message 7 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Laineybirdy wrote:

1. The AT&T service is also providing telephone service.

2. The Arris is connected to a fiber ONT

3. The only thing I have physically connected to the Arris is the Orbi modem but there are other devices that are connecting to the AT&T network and not the Orbi network. I'm not sure if your question was do I have anything physically connected.  I have seen a screen showing devices that are connected and most are connecting to the Arris. I think this is what you explained with the double NAT - there are two networks. 

Using the Arris for telephone means it has to stay.

No devices physically wired to the Arris (everything on WiFi) means that "Double-NAT" issues are less likely.  (However, if in the future you decide to implement VPN into the Orbi or have problems with internet gaming, it will be time to revisit the issue.)

So, to start with, I would define the Orbi with the same WiFi credentials as the Arris and turn off WiFi on the Arris.  Everything connects to the Orbi, which connects to the Arris.  My Orbi worked this way for over a year, and I suspect thousands of other Orbi's around the world do today.

One "benefit" of this arrangement is that should you have a problem with the Orbi, you can simply remove it, turn the WiFi back on the Arris, and everything will connect to it.

As far as WiFi coverage, WiFi radio power is defined by the FCC.  One single Orbi WiFi router will have about the same coverage as one Arris WiFi router. That's why Orbi has satellites: to extend the coverage.

Message 8 of 21
Laineybirdy
Aspirant

Thank you! Another question, You say to define the Orbi with the same WiFi credentials as the Arris. Do you mean to give it the same name (SSID) and password as the one I have for the Arris? I have reset my Orbi and gone back through the process of re-setting it up. I gave it the same name and password as the Arris but it is not connecting. I'm thinking maybe I didn't understand what you meant about "define the Orbi with the same WiFi credentials as the Arris."

Message 9 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can setup the Orbi for the same SSID name and PW. Just be sure you disable ALL wifi radios on the Arris modem. 

Message 10 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Laineybirdy wrote:

I gave it the same name and password as the Arris but it is not connecting. I'm thinking maybe I didn't understand what you meant about "define the Orbi with the same WiFi credentials as the Arris."

My point was that it is tedious to go around to every device in the house and change the WiFi connection.  So, giving the Orbi the same WiFi means that when the Arris WiFi is turned off, every device will look around and find the Orbi with the same credentials.  Less work for you.

Message 11 of 21
Laineybirdy
Aspirant

Ok - I think I finally have it configured as you suggested and it seems to be working.

* I had to wait to turn off the WiFi radios on the Arris until I went through the process with the Orbi to set it up. Once it went through the setup and told me it couldn't find the network, I then turned off the two WiFi radios on the Arris and it worked.

Thank you both for all of your help - I truly appreciate it. I am exhausted!! 🙂

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. I know it can be a hassle for some inexperieced users. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 21
Laineybirdy
Aspirant

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Now I am getting messages that I am not connected to the internet. But, I am! With some sites I get a message that says "your connection to this site is not secure." I went on the DMV site (ugh) but couldn't get to it because I got a window with a login screen that said that the site requires a username and password and that the connection is not secure. Here is what I did when setting up the Orbi RBR50:

- Reset the Orbi and both satellites

- Reinstalled the Orbi's creating the Orbi network using the exact name and password as the one for the Arris modem. 

- I wasn't sure when to turn off the WiFi on the Arris so the first time I did it before I set up the Orbi's but that didn't work so I set up the Orbi, then turned off the WiFi on the Arris. 

- I am on my iPad and I cleared the cache, cookies, etc and turned it off and back on.

When I am in settings, WiFi, I only see one network with the SSID name. I guess that is because the Arris is not broadcasting so the one I am seeing and connecting to is the Orbi. How can I tell what is connecting to the Orbi and what is connecting (shouldn't be anything) to the Arris? 

Any ideas on what is causing this security problem?

Message 14 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

The "security issue" may be an artifact of modern browsers.  Some browsers do not want to connect to any web site that is http instead of https.  They throw up a message, "This is not secure."  Well, duh, no it isn't.  There is usually a link hidden somewhere on the screen that will let you go to the site anyway.

Thing connected to the Orbi will show up on the Orbi web interface, Attached Devices page, or on the Orbi app.

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Some web sites don't have HTTPS so if our seeing the browser pop up, then this is a web site issue, not a Orbi issue. 

ALL wifi on the Arris modems should be OFF. You should only see the 1 SSID name that you setup on your Orbi RBR. You can use the same SSID name and PW from the modem if you wish and is recommended or recommend using something new and custome from the default one that comes on the Orbi system. 

@Laineybirdy wrote:

Well, I guess I spoke too soon. Now I am getting messages that I am not connected to the internet. But, I am! With some sites I get a message that says "your connection to this site is not secure." I went on the DMV site (ugh) but couldn't get to it because I got a window with a login screen that said that the site requires a username and password and that the connection is not secure. Here is what I did when setting up the Orbi RBR50:

- Reset the Orbi and both satellites

- Reinstalled the Orbi's creating the Orbi network using the exact name and password as the one for the Arris modem. 

- I wasn't sure when to turn off the WiFi on the Arris so the first time I did it before I set up the Orbi's but that didn't work so I set up the Orbi, then turned off the WiFi on the Arris. 

- I am on my iPad and I cleared the cache, cookies, etc and turned it off and back on.

When I am in settings, WiFi, I only see one network with the SSID name. I guess that is because the Arris is not broadcasting so the one I am seeing and connecting to is the Orbi. How can I tell what is connecting to the Orbi and what is connecting (shouldn't be anything) to the Arris? 

Any ideas on what is causing this security problem?

Message 16 of 21
LLZEL
Tutor

CrimpOn

If I may jump in, I have a similar installation as Laineybirdy EXCEPT I have no phone service and nothing connected to my ATT RG. To clarify, I I can connect my Orbi router directly to the Fiber ONT via ethernet and My Orbi will continue to connect to the internet without the ATT modem and just the fiber ONT?

Message 17 of 21
LLZEL
Tutor

Received my ATT Arris modem/router, placed it in IP pass through mode, deactivated 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi, plugged my Orbi WAN jack to LAN port on Arris and all works good. Didn't have to change anything on my connected or wifi attached devices.  I did try to plug the Orbi directly to the Fiber box, bypassing the Arris modem and got nothing. 

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP may require the use of there modem/router with there Fiber box. Something to ask them to see if it can be removed and the Orbi RBR put in it's place. 

@LLZEL wrote:

Received my ATT Arris modem/router, placed it in IP pass through mode, deactivated 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi, plugged my Orbi WAN jack to LAN port on Arris and all works good. Didn't have to change anything on my connected or wifi attached devices.  I did try to plug the Orbi directly to the Fiber box, bypassing the Arris modem and got nothing. 

Message 19 of 21
radarrab
Aspirant

I also have had a similar setup for a while, but was trying something and need some help. I haven't yet changed either device according to the Options 2 and 3 given to the OP.

I have the same models, fiber, with voice but it's through Sonic (using ATT's fiber). The voice has a separate box connected to 1 of the 4 Arris ethernet ports and not the Voice port.

I don't remember whether I had changed anything when I first set this up, but had to reset the Arris when my internet was out. So both wifi's were on, and both were DHCP servers at least after that. The Arris gave the Orbi a 192.x.x.x IP address for its gateway, as well as for other network devices. The Orbi uses 10.x.x.x also for other network devices. 

There are two reasons I got the Orbi+1 satellite, and neither of them have been solved. I have a small older one-story house (old electrical, but that's another issue). Besides laptops, phone/tablet, wireless printer, and another old networked printer that I had set up to be able to use over wifi (but is out of toner so may give that up), there are the below:

1--I have two wifi Roku devices, one Express (which only can do 2.4GHz), and a Streaming Stick (can do either, but there's no way to designate which to use on the Roku). 

Supposedly having the fiber should have solved buffering issues, but at least one channel sometimes says its buffering because it's too slow, even if my cloud backup isn't actively backing up.

2--I thought I'd be able to connect USB hard drives to the USB ports on the Orbi, to replace a TP-Link W8980 which can enable me to use those drives wirelessly (and the interface allows me to see them and disconnect them in the software). It's an old ADSL modem/router, and I was only using the router part, but it's older and I can't use my newer 4Tb drive on it (it can only go to 2Tb). That doesn't work, and also doesn't work on the Arris. I thought I'd try connecting the TP-Link via ethernet to the Orbi just to see if that would work with the smaller hard drive, but I couldn't see it anywhere (in Orbi or as the following). With the old network setup, I could access the shares by entering \\192.x.x.x, the IP address of the TP-Link in Windows Explorer, and both volumes would show up.

So, I have three things.

1) Not sure which router should be the DHCP server, and which set of numbers to use where (192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or both). I was getting confused by the Arris giving the Orbi the 192.x.x.x for gateway then when I tried to use the same 192.x.x.x on the Orbi for DHCP and not use the Arris, it said I couldn't because of the gateway.

At the moment I can't get to the Orbi unless I connect directly with a cable (I tried some ways to have its IP different from 10.x.x.x but it didn't seem to work).

2) Is it possible to force the Roku streaming stick to use the 5GHz band? 

3) If I had the rest set up properly, would my idea of connecting the TP-Link (or some newer similar device that can handle 4Tb, why I was testing) work via ethernet to the Orbi?

Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

@radarrab wrote:

So, I have three things.

1) Not sure which router should be the DHCP server, and which set of numbers to use where (192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x or both). I was getting confused by the Arris giving the Orbi the 192.x.x.x for gateway then when I tried to use the same 192.x.x.x on the Orbi for DHCP and not use the Arris, it said I couldn't because of the gateway.

At the moment I can't get to the Orbi unless I connect directly with a cable (I tried some ways to have its IP different from 10.x.x.x but it didn't seem to work).

If the ARRIS modem has a router then the Orbi working in router mode will use a different IP address, i.e. 10.x.x.x for the RBRs LAN side pool. While the Arris uses 192.x.x.x. This is normal. 

2) Is it possible to force the Roku streaming stick to use the 5GHz band? 

Its up to wifi devices to pick and choose which signal to connect too.  try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

3) If I had the rest set up properly, would my idea of connecting the TP-Link (or some newer similar device that can handle 4Tb, why I was testing) work via ethernet to the Orbi?

Orbi does not support USB drives being connected to the USB port. Unfortuneately. 

You may want to simplify your configuration and use the modem as your host router and the Orbi in AP mode. Then you'll be al on 1 IP address pool and limit problems seen with having two routers on the same line. 

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7