Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with RBS50 & RBS40 WiFi has slowed down from 117 to under 10

Suzq716
Aspirant

RBR50 with RBS50 & RBS40 WiFi has slowed down from 117 to under 10

I have the router with the 2 satellites. Trying to figure out why WiFi has slowed down so much. Nothing has changed with where the units are set up and nothing has changed in the house. I have 80 WiFi devices, a mix of Wyze cameras, bulbs, tablets, phones, FireTVs, Echo devices. 
Was regularly getting 117 down 11 up. In same place now using same device for Speedtest, usually do not get much over 8-22 down with 3 to 10 up.  Have checked the speed of the router itself and speed is what it should be. Also connection seems to drop for a few seconds several times per day. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: RBR50 with RBS50 & RBS40 WiFi has slowed down from 117 to under 10

@Suzq716if you are running v2.5.0.x firmware, and it was retracted by Netgear after many bugs and stability issues were found. NG disabled autoupdate in recent releases due to the issues that it has caused.  I suggest manually upgrading your RBR50 and satellites to v2.5.1.8 if you are running v2.5.0.x firmware.  It is available from https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Upgrade the satellites first, then the router.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Above suggestions working:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@Suzq716 wrote:

I have the router with the 2 satellites. Trying to figure out why WiFi has slowed down so much. Nothing has changed with where the units are set up and nothing has changed in the house. I have 80 WiFi devices, a mix of Wyze cameras, bulbs, tablets, phones, FireTVs, Echo devices. 
Was regularly getting 117 down 11 up. In same place now using same device for Speedtest, usually do not get much over 8-22 down with 3 to 10 up.  Have checked the speed of the router itself and speed is what it should be. Also connection seems to drop for a few seconds several times per day. 

Message 3 of 10
Suzq716
Aspirant

FW is 2.5.1.8

Message 4 of 10
Suzq716
Aspirant

Modem is my own Surfboard not exactly sure of model. 

beamforming is on 

2.4 set to auto. 5 is on ch 39

there are several WiFi networks that show on my iPad 

Home size is 1900sf with a detached garage about 40' away. 
each satellite is about the same distance from the router. 

will check the other settings you mention to see if it helps. 

thank you for the suggestions. 

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know the model# of the modem when you can. 

Message 6 of 10
Suzq716
Aspirant

Modem is SB6141

I made a couple of changes suggested, others were already as suggested. 

sitting in the room where the router is, on my iPad I have the WiFi speed expected using the speedtest app. When in the other part of the house closer to the RBS50 the WiFi speed is degraded. So it seems it is an issue with the WiFi speed of the satellite and not the router itself?

The Orbi app on my iPad has stopped showing the devices connected to each satellite and the router, all I can see is the list of devices and it is not showing which WiFi each is connected to. 

I also have a Fingbox connected to my router if that makes a difference. 

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

When you move to the other part of the house where the RBS is, are you disabling the wifi on the pad OFF, then back ON to let it re-connect to the RBS with the closer signal? The pad may still be connected to the RBR when you move farther away. It's devices choice on how they connect. Sometimes you have to stop the connection then let it re-connect. 

Does this Fingbox have it's own wifi broadcast or just connects to the Orbi wifi? Try testing with out Fingbox to see if there is any differences. 

Message 8 of 10
Suzq716
Aspirant

When I moved to the other part of the house closer to the satellite I still had fast speed. With the iPad in the same room as the satellite, I turned off WiFi for a couple of minutes then turned back on. And the speed is terrible. Same with iPhone that stayed in that part of the house.

With the Orbi app not showing if things are connected to the router or satellite it is hard to say if the iPad is staying connected to the router or picking up the satellite for its signal. 
I'll try looking at orbilogin and see if the info is there. 

maybe time to reset everything and do a new setup???  Hate the bother since I have reserved addresses for most of my things and I'm guessing will have to do that all over again?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give that a try. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements