Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with RBS50 forcing device to stay attached to specific Network Device

JasonMor
Aspirant

RBR50 with RBS50 forcing device to stay attached to specific Network Device

I haven't been able to find this anywhere so if this has been explained before I apologize. 

I have an RBR50 (router mode) on my first floor and a RBS50 on my second floor. I have a device that doesn't move on my first floor which I'm having wifi issues with. I'm trying to troubleshoot the device but one of the suggestions was to see if there was a way to specifiy which Orbi Device it connects to. Can I force devices to only connect to the RBR50 or RBS50?

RBR50 and RBS50 Firmware 2.5.1.8

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 with RBS50 forcing device to stay attached to specific Network Device

@JasonMor wrote:

Can I force devices to only connect to the RBR50 or RBS50?

No, you cannot.  This is a function of the device comparing the two access points and selecting which one it will use.

What you can do is attempt to influence the device by manipulating the radio strength and by resetting the device.

For example, if the device is "closer to" the satellite, but remains connected to the router, perhaps it connected to the router when the Orbi first powered up and had "quit looking" by the time the satellite began transmitting.  Powering off the device and restarting when both the router and satellite are both working may cause it to prefer the satellite.

You can try reducing the Transmit Power on one or both radio bands and restart the device.  If there is significant overlap in the radio coverage, this may affect which one it chooses.

The key factor is "Is the device working correctly?"  If so, it may be a waste of time and effort to change its behavior.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

You can lower the power output of the RBR from 100% to say 75 or 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@JasonMor wrote:

I haven't been able to find this anywhere so if this has been explained before I apologize. 

I have an RBR50 (router mode) on my first floor and a RBS50 on my second floor. I have a device that doesn't move on my first floor which I'm having wifi issues with. I'm trying to troubleshoot the device but one of the suggestions was to see if there was a way to specifiy which Orbi Device it connects to. Can I force devices to only connect to the RBR50 or RBS50?

RBR50 and RBS50 Firmware 2.5.1.8

Message 3 of 5
JasonMor
Aspirant

I haven't tried the signal strength idea yet but thank you for the suggestion. The device I'm trying to troubleshoot is approx 30 ft away from the rbr and 50 away from the rbs.

The distance from the rbr or the rbs is approx 30 ft. They are on two different floors but above /below each other.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

This should help some...let us know. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation