Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with StarLink

Sherich
Tutor

RBR50 with StarLink

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum so thanks in advance for pearls of wisdom from the collective . . .

I am in the process of installing and setting up the new version 2 (rectangular dish) StarLink satellite internet system.  This system includes a wireless only router and a separate Ethernet Adapter to provide an Ethernet port.  The very latest version of the phone app provides a new feature to "Bypass StarLink Wireless Router" thus preventing any potential Double NAT issues.  This feature disables not only the StarLink wireless on the router but it also disables use of the StarLink phone app since the app communicates directly with the StarLink router.  This is problematic as there are several beneficial features in the app such as usage reports and speed tests.  By the way, the StarLink Router remains powered up and connected as it provides power to the StarLink dish for articulation movement, dish heating and statistic reporting.  

Viewing several online videos it is clear that connecting the Orbi is a simple matter of running a cable from the Ethernet Adapter to the Orbi's Internet (WAN) port.  Also, since I need additional hardwire ports, I'll run a cable from one of Orbi's Ethernet ports to a Switch.

Additional research has revealed that use of the StarLink phone app can be restored by creating a Static Route within the Orbi router.  I've studied the Orbi User Manual and I am confused as to what gets input to each of the Static Route setup boxes.  The StarLink information I've found says to, "create a static route to route 192.168.100.1 (the StarLink dish IP address) to WAN1 of the switch."  The user providing this information is going directly into a UDM Pro Switch which I assume has more than one WAN port so that is why they specify to WAN1.

On the Orbi side, the User Manual on page 75 suggests that the Orbi's WAN (Gateway) IP address is 192.168.1.100.  However, when opening the Orbi's setup app and selecting the "Advanced" tab I see conflicting information.  In the Router Information Box I see an IP Address of 192.168.1.1 and in the Internet Port box I see an IP Address of 99.196.X.X (X is hiding actual numbers).

So, please help with correct Static Route field inputs:

Destination IP Address - - - assume this is the StarLink IP Address?

IP Subnet Mask - - - assume this is 255.255.255.255?

Gateway IP Address - - - assume this is the Orbi IP Address but which one???

Metric - - - assume this will be 2?

Additional clarification please:

I assume the Orbi has firewall protection to the three Ethernet ports.  I haven't setup Netgear Armor but will.  If I connect a basic 8-port Switch to an Orbi Ethernet port will the firewall protection pass through to all the ports on the Switch?  Or, do I need to get an upgraded Switch that provides this capability?

Thanks!!! 

p.s  Sorry for all the extraneous details but thought it would help future Orbi/StarLink readers.           

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 with StarLink

Why not do it the simple way? 

Leave the Starlink router in router mode and put the netgears IP address into it's (starlink router) DMZ? 

that'd let you still be able to use the starlink app/features and all traffic gets forwarded to the netgear router. 

I don't have a starlink devices to play with (maybe someday) but that'd be the router I'd follow. 

Message 2 of 6
Sherich
Tutor

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated!

As I understand it, the StarLink router has little-to-no accommodations for making modifications.  In time, I'm sure this will change.  I don't deal with all these configurations often so forgive if I'm not stating this correctly - - - currently the StatrLink router does not have a Bridge Mode nor any Port Forwarding.

Regards . . .

Message 3 of 6
Sherich
Tutor

And just explored DMZ - - - no way to open up open up UDP and TCP on the StarLink router.

Rich 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

what actual model router is it from starlink? 

the DMZ should pass all info if its coded right. 

Message 5 of 6
Sherich
Tutor

Greetings again and thanks for your response!

The StarLink Router is a proprietary model (UTR-211) created by StarLink/SpaceX.  It is manufactured in the USA by StarLink.  The current version and firmware allows only minor modifications such as Bypass StarLink Wireless Router, Split 12.4 / 5 GHz Networks and Enable WPA3 Security.  There is no means to enable DMZ and it does not automatically go into DMZ when the Starlink Router is placed in the Bypass Mode.  When the wireless is activated the router is strictly DHCP which cannot be disabled. i.e. It is not possible to assign a Static IP Address on a MAC Address.  As I understand it, when the Bypass StarLink Wireless Router function is enabled, Bridge Mode is enabled to the conencted Gateway.  Since the Dish's IP Address 192.168.100.1 is outside the IP Address range of the Gateway, a Static Route must be added into the Orbi to allow pass-through of the dish's reporting, statistics and use of the phonr app..  Again, there is no issue with internet connection by simply plugging the StarLink's Ethernet cable into the Orbi's WAN (Internet) port.  The issue stated in my original post is how to created the Static Route within Orbi's setting portal.

My terminology and understanding stated above may be incorrect but it conveys the general idea.

Regards,

Rich    

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7