Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 with two satellites (RBK53?) plus Orbi Voice

jonnyhubcap
Guide

RBR50 with two satellites (RBK53?) plus Orbi Voice

Will the new Orbi Voice Smart Speaker add-on work if I already have an RBR50 router purchased as a package with two satellites? I did not think I could add more than two satellites to the router and am not clear what the functionality of the speaker includes, whether it is compatible with the existing router+2 configuration?  Am also confused by the difference between an RBK53 and my existing set-up, but that may not matter.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 with two satellites (RBK53?) plus Orbi Voice

RBK50 is a base router and 1 satellite, the RBK53 is a base router and two satellites. HW is same otherwise. 

Looks like the RBK50V with Voice is it's own router and would not connect to a existing RBK system:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

RBK50 is a base router and 1 satellite, the RBK53 is a base router and two satellites. HW is same otherwise. 

Looks like the RBK50V with Voice is it's own router and would not connect to a existing RBK system:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx

Message 2 of 6
jonnyhubcap
Guide

Dear Furrye38 -

Your response about the RBK53 is understood. The router itself is marked with an R as RBR50, but when it’s bought with the RBS50 satellite it becomes part of the RBK52 or RBK53 kit. I guess R is for Router and K is for Kit. Thanks for helping me understand the markings better.

About the Voice system, it looks like you can buy a “satellite-only” device to add to an existing configuration. I had remembered some information about a limit to the number of satellites you can add, and thought that two is the limit.  However, there’s a post here that indicates more can work (expensive, but interesting): https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-How-many-satellites-does-my-router-support/td-p/1561820.

Furrye38, many thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Theres been posts about users adding up to 3 or 4 more satellites. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The RBK50V consists of RBR50 and RBS40V. The router is a "normal" RBR50, the Voice unit (Amazon Alexa) is in the Satellite RBS40V.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7