Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 won’t boot up

cdbarker
Guide

RBR50 won’t boot up

Hi. I previously posted on the community about the inability to upgrade my RBR50 firmware from v2.7.2.104 to v2.7.3.22. I now have the dreaded 'bricked' situation where my router will no longer boot. I have tried several FW versions (using tftp to update the FW) but after having successfully copied the FW to the RBR50, it just appears to start booting but remains with the ring light pulsing white evermore and I can then never ping or access the router via the web software ( IP 192.168.1.1). The only help that I can see on the forum relates to opening up the router and connecting a USB serial cable to access the boot process. I don't want to do this or wouldn't feel 100% confident in doing this. I haven't been able to to a factory reset either using any of the methods suggested. My router is just over two years old.  I contacted a forum moderator about my previous issue as advised by @FURRYe38 but had no response. How can NG treat its Customers in this way where they offer no form of support and it's obvious that their FW is causing all of these issues? The orbi is no cheap piece of kit. Is their no way to contact NG to lodge a formal complaint?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Have you tried nmrpflash? I've seen that work when tftp didn't. 

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 11
cdbarker
Guide

Hi @plemans, thanks for the reply. I haven't tried the nmrpflash. I will give it a go.

Message 3 of 11
cdbarker
Guide

Hi @plemans. The fnmrpflash appeared to copy over the image to the RBR50 but the router is still in a state of constant boot with the ring light pulsing white. Below are the command line 

C:\Users\Chris\Downloads\nmrpflash-0.9.16-win32>nmrpflash -i net12 -f RBR50-V2.7.2.104.img
Waiting for Ethernet connection.
Advertising NMRP server on net12 ... \
Received configuration request from 78:d2:94:b9:fa:9f.
Sending configuration: 10.164.183.252/24.
Received upload request: filename 'firmware'.
Uploading RBR50-V2.7.2.104.img ... Warning: TFTP block rollover. Upload might fail!
OK (45353089 b)
Waiting for remote to respond.
Received CONF_REQ while waiting for TFTP_UL_REQ!
Received CONF_REQ while waiting for TFTP_UL_REQ!
Received CLOSE_REQ while waiting for TFTP_UL_REQ!
Remote finished. Closing connection.
Reboot your device now.

Running out of things to try other than opening up the orbi and connecting to the serial header as mentiojned in another post. I'm no networking expert but may have a go, if I hjave the time.

Message 4 of 11
cdbarker
Guide

Well @FURRYe38 you will be pleased to know that @Blanca_O did contact me and yesterday I had a brief conversation with NG Support. I explained everything that I had tried to resolve the issue of my Orbi being in a constant boot cycle of pulsing white light on the top ring but sadly, there was nothing that they could do. The term they used was the router is 'bricked' and unusable and I needed to buy another. I had already taken this action and bought a used RBR50 off eBay which is working fine on the latest FW v2.7.3.22. This router actually resets to factory defaults, oh the joys of such basic things! 
Anyway, I want to try and open up the old Orbi and connect a USB to TTL serial port cable to see if I can interrupt the boot sequence and reset some of my Orbi hardware config which must be corrupted. 
Who out there can advise on actions to take please? Can you @pbarham if I PM you?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 11
pbarham
Apprentice

@cdbarker

I eventually got fet up with the unreliability of my Orbi system (the router failed again!)  and moved on to a Uniquiti system - which is just a joy to use in comparison.

Pretty much everything I could telll you about 'unbricking' a router is in this post:

The https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Is-my-13-month-old-RBR50-bricked/m-p/2011090/highlight/true#M1...

There's a link in there showing how to disassemble and connect the serial cable, plus some description of the commands you can use in the boot loader to run tests and to fix up broken config settings in the flash that are probably the reason it won't boot.

For me, a power brownout had corrupted that flash so that the router didn't know which model number it was, and so it was refusing to boot any of the firmaware images (including the 'factory reset' one).   The serial console luckily printed an error message telling me what hardware version ("board id") it was expecting to see... and I just wrote that back into the config variable.

However, there are probably loads of different ways that a router might get into this state, and you may have to just play it by ear.  (you can print out all of the config "environment variables" and look for any that seem empty/corrupted/wrong.  You can maybe compare with some other forum user.    (My Orbi router is gone now - though I do have an unused satelltite sitting in the garage)

Hope this helps,

Paul

Message 6 of 11
cdbarker
Guide

Hi @pbarham / Paul. Thanks for the response and link. I will see how I get on connecting the serial cable and resetting my config variables. Sad to hear that the router failed again but I can't say that I am surprised. What Ubiquiti system did you get out of interest and how have you got it set up?

Chris

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Sorry they couldn't get it working. 

Hopefully @pbarham can help. 

Good Luck.

@cdbarker wrote:

Well @FURRYe38 you will be pleased to know that @Blanca_O did contact me and yesterday I had a brief conversation with NG Support. I explained everything that I had tried to resolve the issue of my Orbi being in a constant boot cycle of pulsing white light on the top ring but sadly, there was nothing that they could do. The term they used was the router is 'bricked' and unusable and I needed to buy another. I had already taken this action and bought a used RBR50 off eBay which is working fine on the latest FW v2.7.3.22. This router actually resets to factory defaults, oh the joys of such basic things! 
Anyway, I want to try and open up the old Orbi and connect a USB to TTL serial port cable to see if I can interrupt the boot sequence and reset some of my Orbi hardware config which must be corrupted. 
Who out there can advise on actions to take please? Can you @pbarham if I PM you?

Message 8 of 11
cdbarker
Guide

Thanks for your help @FURRYe38  btw. Much appreciated.

Message 9 of 11
pbarham
Apprentice

@cdbarker We moved house recently and the new home had a bunch of Unifi WiFI 6 access points that were left by the previous owner:

https://www.ui.com/wi-fi/.  When I installed the app to reconfigure these, I really loved the software and all of the disgnostics. (see https://www.ui.com/consoles for an idea of how flexible this all is!)

As a result, I decided to buy one of their 'Dream Machine' router/accesspoint/managemet consoles https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-unifi-os-consoles/products/unifi-dream-machine.  I can also add PoE access points incrementally to increase coverage in a large house, and have control over wired/wirelss backhaul etc.

It's a nice, solid piece of kit, and it seems you get what you pay for in this space. (though, to be honest, it's not much different to the Orbi prices really if you shop around)

Message 10 of 11
cdbarker
Guide

Thanks @pbarham. Ubiquiti offers quality pieces of kit. I don't need to go to that level for my wifi but it is interesting to see what is out there. 
Thanks once again for the previous posts and info.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7