Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 won't get IP from SB6183

e-squared
Aspirant

RBR50 won't get IP from SB6183

Orbi RBR50 won't get the ip from a surfboard 6183.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you only need to unplug the modem for 30-1minute. Glad it's working now. 

Mark your post as solved for others to know for future reference please.

Enjoy. 

@e-squared wrote:
Update to everyone.
I let the modem unplugged overnight and just went through process of hooking it up and it worked. I know the modem retains the MAC address of possibly 2 devices, so does the Orbi have a problem with this and once the modem loses the retained MAC addresses then it will work?

Once again it is working.
Just a weird issue.

Thanks for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The first step might be to connect a computer (desktop, laptop, Mac, PC) that has an Ethernet port directly to the ARRIS modem. Once it connects, open a DOS prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and note which IP the ARRIS has given the computer.  What does it say about the Ethernet port?  If the computer does not get an IP address from the ARRIS, the problem is with the ARRIS.

Then, remove the computer and connect the WAN (yellow) port on the Orbi to the ARRIS and connect the computer to one of the LAN ports on the Orbi and restart the computer.  Open the DOS prompt and repeat.  What IP does the computer say about the Ethernet port now?

Message 2 of 8
e-squared
Aspirant

I have connected to PC and it does get the IP that the modem is getting from the ISP. But have not tried the PC which would get an IP from the Orbi. I have tried everything, factory reset, power off/on, boot this, boot that and nothing works. This should not be this difficult.
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@e-squared wrote:
I have connected to PC and it does get the IP that the modem is getting from the ISP. But have not tried the PC which would get an IP from the Orbi. I have tried everything, factory reset, power off/on, boot this, boot that and nothing works. This should not be this difficult.

It might be worth checking the Orbi's Internet settings, under the "Basic" tab, select "Internet". and the box should be checked next to "Get Dynamically from ISP".  In the boxes to the right that are greyed out, are there any values there?

The IP address the PC received directly from the ARRIS modem... was it a "private" IP (192.168.x.x) or a "public" IP?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF the 6183 for 15 seconds then back on. Let it sync, the power ON the RBR. 

Ensure a good quality LAN cable is being used between the modem and router. CAT6 recommended. 

@e-squared wrote:
Orbi RBR50 won't get the ip from a surfboard 6183.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree that this should be "as easy as it gets."  The SB6183 is only a modem.  No router functions.  No WiFi.  Only a single gig port on the back.  It does have a web interface (192.168.100.1) that should show the attached computer having the same IP address as the ipconfig command does.  It also has an event log that may shed some light.  The Orbi should be in "Router" mode (the default) to provide internal IP addresses to home devices.

Message 6 of 8
e-squared
Aspirant

Update to everyone.
I let the modem unplugged overnight and just went through process of hooking it up and it worked. I know the modem retains the MAC address of possibly 2 devices, so does the Orbi have a problem with this and once the modem loses the retained MAC addresses then it will work?

Just a weird issue.

Thanks for the help.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you only need to unplug the modem for 30-1minute. Glad it's working now. 

Mark your post as solved for others to know for future reference please.

Enjoy. 

@e-squared wrote:
Update to everyone.

Just a weird issue.

Thanks for the help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7