Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 working fine for 14 months - hard reset now can not connect to modem

Viberoom
Aspirant

RBR50 working fine for 14 months - hard reset now can not connect to modem

Hi. I have been using my Orbi with 4 satellites around my house just fine for more than a year. Yesterday I tried to do a hard reset of the router for the purpose of splitting 2.4 and 5ghz. However when setting up Orbi as new again I can not connect to modem.
A couple of points...
Modem is a product by telecom provider.
I have had their technical support to my house and they have set up a new router with one of their own products (not Orbi) and is working fine.
I have a second Orbi router brand new (RBR20) which I also tried to set up in case a problem With my RBR50 tho that would not connect to internet either.
Modem is working just fine. And now supplier router is working just fine too. Tho my Orbi is not connecting.
I have tried everything online
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 working fine for 14 months - hard reset now can not connect to modem

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? If there is a built in router with the modem, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Viberoom wrote:
Hi. I have been using my Orbi with 4 satellites around my house just fine for more than a year. Yesterday I tried to do a hard reset of the router for the purpose of splitting 2.4 and 5ghz. However when setting up Orbi as new again I can not connect to modem.
A couple of points...
Modem is a product by telecom provider.
I have had their technical support to my house and they have set up a new router with one of their own products (not Orbi) and is working fine.
I have a second Orbi router brand new (RBR20) which I also tried to set up in case a problem With my RBR50 tho that would not connect to internet either.
Modem is working just fine. And now supplier router is working just fine too. Tho my Orbi is not connecting.
I have tried everything online

Message 2 of 5
Viberoom
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Please note that the internet provider modem is modem only. I have taken a photo of the modem model attached to this thread.

I understand the additional methods you have proposed and I have followed them online prior to now. Problem I have with those is that even connecting to either the RBR50 or RBR20 (brand new), I am unable to set either of them up. I then connect direct to to the Orbi via lan to one of my computers and still can not set up.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
Viberoom
Aspirant

File attached.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

I'll assume you rebooted the ISP modem before you attempted the install?
Also I find sometimes the Orbi routers don't fully reset.
I would reset again, watching the power light go through its colors and make sure reset is successful. Then install again.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7