Reply
Highlighted
Aspirant

RBR50

Hello,

 

After working flawlessly for 22months my Orbi RBR50 base unit is no longer working, a flashing white light and unable to perform a factory rest. After contacting the support imagine my surprise that I am expected to purchase an extra support package prior to any work being done to rectify the fault. I did not purchase this as I feel that to do so whilst the hardware is still under warranty is unethical to say the least...

So, am being overly cynical thinking that this fault has taken place 2 months before the end of the warranty period?
Has anyone else encounter this scam??

 

Regards

FlipT

Message 1 of 8
Highlighted
Master

Re: RBR50

Not to be critical but didn't you say "After working flawlessly for 22months"?

Warranty is 1 year. 

I know there are a few methods to try to resolve your issue. 

I unplug my RBR50 router completely. Wait a minute or so, plug it back in not connected to the ISP modem or PC, hold reset button following reset directions, once white light flashes on top, reboot your ISP modem, plug your RBR50 into the ISP modem, reinstall using the app

Orbi RBK53 System/RBR50/RBS50/RBS50. + Orbi Voice RBS40V
RBK753 system/RBR750/RBS750/RBS750 + RBK853 System/RBR850/RBS850/RBS850
There's always a logical answer, if you have all the facts!
Message 2 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

Re: RBR50

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 


@FlipT wrote:

Hello,

 

After working flawlessly for 22months my Orbi RBR50 base unit is no longer working, a flashing white light and unable to perform a factory rest. After contacting the support imagine my surprise that I am expected to purchase an extra support package prior to any work being done to rectify the fault. I did not purchase this as I feel that to do so whilst the hardware is still under warranty is unethical to say the least...

So, am being overly cynical thinking that this fault has taken place 2 months before the end of the warranty period?
Has anyone else encounter this scam??

 

Regards

FlipT


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 3 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: RBR50

Hi, thanks for both replies.
I also thought it was a 1yr warranty but the product registration has it listed at 2yrs for hardware.
I am connecting to BT Halo1 router.
Sadly I can't get the base unit to connect, it is not putting out any wifi signal and the Ethernet ports are not connecting either so I can't confirm what firmware version it is running. It does cycle the power light through green then red indicating a firmware fault hence Netgear looking to push their tech service before admitting considering it as a hardware fault.
Thanks in advance.
Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Sensei

Re: RBR50


@FlipT wrote:
I also thought it was a 1yr warranty but the product registration has it listed at 2yrs for hardware.

This is the point where the "only way forward" is to send a private message to one of the forum moderators explaining the issue.

i.e. model, serial number, and evidence that the hardware warranty is for 2 years.  The Netgear "contact us" mechanism seems to key off of the "90 days of complimentary support" and (as far as I can see) provides no mechanism to contact Netgear during the remainder of the hardware warranty.

Click on one of the moderators screen names and then select to send a private message.

The moderators have a "capital N" after their screen name, such as @Dustin_V 

I love my Orbi.
Message 5 of 8
Highlighted
Guru

Re: RBR50

Have a router in front of the Orbi router is not recommended. 

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

Couple of options,

1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.

2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop


@FlipT wrote:
Hi, thanks for both replies.
I also thought it was a 1yr warranty but the product registration has it listed at 2yrs for hardware.
I am connecting to BT Halo1 router.
Sadly I can't get the base unit to connect, it is not putting out any wifi signal and the Ethernet ports are not connecting either so I can't confirm what firmware version it is running. It does cycle the power light through green then red indicating a firmware fault hence Netgear looking to push their tech service before admitting considering it as a hardware fault.
Thanks in advance.

 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 6 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: RBR50

I'm in the same boat, although I've just had the Orbi a year (about 4-6 weeks out of warranty, I was told) Quite frustrating. Attempting to support it myself via the web but not having much luck.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 8
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: RBR50

Hello, I feel your pain. Are you in the UK if so the units have a 2yr warranty and you should pursue Netgear for a warranty claim.
I eventually made contact with Netgear through Facebook messenger who after a bit of debate contacted their Technical Support who called me back. After an hour of attempts to restart the unit it was agreed that it was faulty. A return was then agreed and it looks like my new units will arrive tomorrow which is a surprise.
I hope you get the result you want and don't give up!!
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 369 views
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements