Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50v2 Factory Reset Instructions Wrong

beuser
Tutor

RBR50v2 Factory Reset Instructions Wrong

After many frustrating hours on the phone with tech support, reading articles, and trying different combinations, I've come to the conclusion that all the published instructions are wrong on how to do a factory reset of the Orbi RBR50v2.  None of them work. 

Instead, this is what works on my RBR50v2 to do a factory reset:

• Power off the router
  • Press the reset button with a paper clip
  • Power on the router
  • Watch the LED.  It will turn solid red, then after a few seconds start blinking red.
  • Let go of the reset button in just a few seconds, as soon as it starts blinking red.  
  • Now it will do a factory reset and reboot.

If you hold the reset button 5+ plus seconds longer, you'll see it do a quick flash of green in between the flashing red and it will go into TFTP mode and it will NOT do a factory reset.  So the 30-30-30 method does not work.  The officially published method of pressing the reset button after the router is powered on also does not work.  A google search of 'RBR50v2 Factory Reset' lists 50 web sites with instructions that are all wrong.

How is it possible that all the published instructions are wrong?  Even Netgear tech support had the wrong instructions.  I've wasted countless hours on this.  I even sent a router back to Netgear and had a new one shipped to me because we couldn't get it to do a factory reset.  And now I see the instructions were just wrong.  I am baffled.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
Crygasm
Aspirant

Re: RBR50v2 Factory Reset Instructions Wrong

Thank you, and may the blessings of a thousand lives fall upon you. I spent HOURS after a simple moving of the routers caused them to get funky. I tried everything under the sun to desperately look for factory reset instructions; I tried them all, simple, 30-30-30, 7-7-7 with unplugging and replugging, called everywhere I could think of. Then low and behold, I find my Orbi Messiah. 

It's embarrassing that their documentation doesn't match one of the most basic, useful, and highly used features. NO WONDER there are countless reviews of people calling these things bricks and replacing them for TLinks and Eeros.

You saved me a heap of further time wasted and aggravation. I'd kiss you on the mouth if I could.

This worked right away. I thought about resetting a second time just to honor you.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7