Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50v2 ROUTER FIRMWARE VERSION IS DIFFERENT THAN MY 2 RBS50v2 SATELLITES

Xx-Shadowz-xX
Aspirant

RBR50v2 ROUTER FIRMWARE VERSION IS DIFFERENT THAN MY 2 RBS50v2 SATELLITES

I have 2 RBS50v2 Satellites that are running the latest firmware version 2.7.4.24 and both are connected wirelessly to my RBR50v2 Router which is running the firmware 2.7.3.22 that is before the latest firmware that both of my satellites are on. I had got a RMA for the RBR50v2 Router I had before this new one they sent me from Netgear Warehouse. That router was on the latest firmware along with my 2 satellites. I sent back the old router for the new router and did a hard reset for both of my RBS50v2 Satellites before setting up and connecting to my new RBR50v2 Router.

When I did the hard reset both of my satellites stayed the 2.7.4.24 firmware. I set up my router and it came with a firmware version around 2.5. something can’t remember exactly the version but I set everything up and connected my 2 satellites wirelessly to my new main router. Overnight my router automatically had a update done going from 2.5. something to firmware version 2.7.3.22 now.

This was about more than 2 weeks ago now. Just for a test I was running the Orbi in AP mode with my old linksys router that I had before the Orbi I needed to do this for work due to the old Orbi router kept being in a non stop reboot loop multiple times a day every few minutes causing problems with my job everyday. So I used the new Orbi router as a test to see if any problems will come again. Everything now has been working perfectly fine and great no problems at all since using my new router.

Now I plan to do a hard reset for both my Orbi satellites and router to use in router mode as my main network this time now. Now my question is if I am leaving the firmware how it is right now for all 3 devices will it cause any problems or issues at all due to different firmware versions? Or should I do a update to my router from 2.7.3.22 to the latest firmware 2.7.4.24 that both of my satellites are running right now or do I downgrade my 2 satellites from 2.7.4.24 back to 2.7.3.22?

TL;DR: 3 Orbi devices 1 RBR50v2 router and 2 RBS50v2 satellites. RBR50v2 is on firmware 2.7.3.22 while the 2 RBS50v2 satellites are running on firmware 2.7.4.24. Did a test on all the 3 Orbi devices and made sure everything works perfectly fine no problems at all. Now I will be doing a hard reset to all 3 Orbi devices to setup as my main network. Do I leave the firmware versions how they are for all 3 Orbi devices? Or should I do a update to my router from 2.7.3.22 to the latest firmware 2.7.4.24 that both of my satellites are running right now or should I do a downgrade on both of my satellites from 2.7.4.24 back to 2.7.3.22?
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

There is always a vague uneasy feeling when router and satellites are not on the same firmware release.  If you 'downgrade' the satellites manually to match the router, then eventually Netgear may 'auto-upgrade' everything to the current release on the support web site.

If you are going to all this effort, I would probably update the router (1 device) rather than the satellites (2 devices) and get it all over with.

Message 2 of 3
Xx-Shadowz-xX
Aspirant

Ok I will do that then I’m have to probably do a manual update to the router since it doesn’t show there is a new update available whenever I access my router using the web UI. I was just concerned on what I should do exactly since lately I been seeing plenty of people having problems after recent update. I just wanted to make sure if I did update that I wouldn’t have to go through any issues at all
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7