Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR750 403 Access denied after upgrade to 4.6.3.7 firmware

adolgov
Tutor

RBR750 403 Access denied after upgrade to 4.6.3.7 firmware

I'm getting a proxy error from the router, and am unable to access its configuration page after firmware update from 3.x version to 4.6.3.7.

I factory reset the router, and then I'm able to connect again; however, when I re-configure it (restore settings), the proxy error comes back.

-------

Access denied
The administrator of this proxy has not configured it to service requests from your host.

-------

I've tracked it down to the following:

I configure my router to be 192.169.0.1, rather than the default 192.168.1.1, and this configuration has worked well before (using 3.x firmware) and is necessary due to the topology of my various networks.

Anyhow, the new firmware is unable to handle this setting, even though the 3.x firmware worked fine.

Furthermore, the web application is not allowing me to downgrade to the older firmware because the "Yes" button that is required to answer the "are you sure you want to install older firmware" is missing from the UI.

Any hints on how to get around this error or an easy way to get past the "missing Yes button" part of manually downgrading.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR750 403 Access denied after upgrade to 4.6.3.7 firmware

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
GreatDrivr
Tutor

Got an RBK852 & having the exact same issue on Firmware 4.6.3.9.

I understand, this may not be the correct forum, but my initial point is that this issue is not limited to a single model or one exact firmware version.

Based in a comment from raven_au in a different thread, I've been able to confirm the issue appears to be related to using a public IP range for the router's private LAN. Ie. I was using 192.100.17.x for my IP range, which started generating this same error since my last firmware update. And since that range worked flawlessly in former firmware versions & on more than 8 other router brands & models for over 10 years, it didn't occur to me that my chosen IP range was the cause.

Summary - Use a PRIVATE IP range & see if you continue getting this error.

Fortunately, I didn't have to suffer through Netgear's absolutely HORRIFIC, sad excuse for technical support... I thank my luck stars again for that, alone!!

NETGEAR - Please, please document this new limitation within your firmware release notes!!

Had it been declared there, it would have been a huge favor to all of us... And we wouldn't have wasted so much time chasing it down. Whether the behavior was previously allowed via a "bug" or not is irrelevant. It's quite clearly a functional change implimented via firmware versions. Thus, should be documented as such.

Thanks,
Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@adolgov wrote:

Furthermore, the web application is not allowing me to downgrade to the older firmware because the "Yes" button that is required to answer the "are you sure you want to install older firmware" is missing from the UI.

Any hints on how to get around this error or an easy way to get past the "missing Yes button" part of manually downgrading.

It appears that Netgear has removed the option to manually install older firmware on the AX series Orbi's. The forum has numerous posts expressing frustration that once an AX firmware gets updated, there is no going back. I may have missed something, but I do not recall anyone sharing a method to get around this.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7