Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 3.2.17.12 not working

LEIP1
Tutor

RBR850 3.2.17.12 not working

Hi - I received an email from Netgear that there is a firmware upate for my RBR850. I have tried to update through the Orbi app (no firmware updates available at this time), through Chrome (no firmware updates available at this time) and manually (it fails).

It even says on the Netgear site, on their product page that 3.2.17.12 is the most recent firmware. 

I cannot update past 3.2.16.22_1.4.9.

What is going on?

Thanks

LEIP

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Welcome to the wonder world of Netgear firmware updates. Announcements from Netgear of new firmware, but "No new firmware available."  My opinion is that I would wait until the Orbi firmware update page offers to install new firmware.

BUT... If you really, sincerely, (can't live without it), want to install 3.2.17.12, then these are the steps:

Navigate a web browser to the the Netgear support site: https://www.netgear.com/support/ 

Enter the model number for your system (RBR750 or RBR850)

Click on "Downloads".

Click on the Down Arrow.

Click on "Release Notes to bring up the firmware download page.

Download both the satellite and the router zip files.

Unpack (unzip) to get the actual firmware images and remember where they are.

Connect a web browser to each of the satellites by IP address (same credentials as the router "admin" and password).

Select Firmware Update.

Browse to the img file for the satellite.

After the update is finished, the satellite will reboot.

Repeat on any other satellites

Last, connect to the Orbi router web interface.

Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration,

Select Backup Settings and copy the router settings to your computer

Select Firmware Update.

Click on the "Manual Update" tab.

Browse to find the router img file and perform the update.

The router will reboot once the update is complete.

Whew!  All done.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
RazorRay
Aspirant

RBR750.JPGSame issue here with my RBR750, can someone please clarify?

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Welcome to the wonder world of Netgear firmware updates. Announcements from Netgear of new firmware, but "No new firmware available."  My opinion is that I would wait until the Orbi firmware update page offers to install new firmware.

BUT... If you really, sincerely, (can't live without it), want to install 3.2.17.12, then these are the steps:

Navigate a web browser to the the Netgear support site: https://www.netgear.com/support/ 

Enter the model number for your system (RBR750 or RBR850)

Click on "Downloads".

Click on the Down Arrow.

Click on "Release Notes to bring up the firmware download page.

Download both the satellite and the router zip files.

Unpack (unzip) to get the actual firmware images and remember where they are.

Connect a web browser to each of the satellites by IP address (same credentials as the router "admin" and password).

Select Firmware Update.

Browse to the img file for the satellite.

After the update is finished, the satellite will reboot.

Repeat on any other satellites

Last, connect to the Orbi router web interface.

Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration,

Select Backup Settings and copy the router settings to your computer

Select Firmware Update.

Click on the "Manual Update" tab.

Browse to find the router img file and perform the update.

The router will reboot once the update is complete.

Whew!  All done.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

NG didn't put v12 up on the update services for Orbi AX. Only for manual download and installation. 

Avoid using Chrome browser. Try IE11, Edge, Firefox or Opera. 

Be sure to unpack the .zip files.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

@LEIP1 wrote:

Hi - I received an email from Netgear that there is a firmware upate for my RBR850. I have tried to update through the Orbi app (no firmware updates available at this time), through Chrome (no firmware updates available at this time) and manually (it fails).

It even says on the Netgear site, on their product page that 3.2.17.12 is the most recent firmware. 

I cannot update past 3.2.16.22_1.4.9.

What is going on?

Thanks

LEIP

Message 4 of 10
LEIP1
Tutor

Thank you - I appreciate this.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 10
ScottH_98125
Initiate

FYI:  I just manually updated my RBR750 + 2 x RBS750 to this version and it all appears to work fine.

BTW:  This can be a little weird.  When you update a satellite, you actually get a window that opens to that satellites web UI.  After the update/reboot of that satellite, that web UI was unresponsive because the satellite had gotten a new IP address!

This happened only on 1 of 2 satellites (the 2nd one!) so was unexpected and a little disconcerting.

If your satellite web UI is unresponsive after the reboot, just close it and go back to the router web UI.  Mine didn't update the display of the satellite firmware version right away, but after a couple of refreshes it caught up.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@ScottH_98125 wrote:

FYI:  I just manually updated my RBR750 + 2 x RBS750 to this version and it all appears to work fine.

BTW:  This can be a little weird.  When you update a satellite, you actually get a window that opens to that satellites web UI.  After the update/reboot of that satellite, that web UI was unresponsive because the satellite had gotten a new IP address!

This happened only on 1 of 2 satellites (the 2nd one!) so was unexpected and a little disconcerting.

If your satellite web UI is unresponsive after the reboot, just close it and go back to the router web UI.  Mine didn't update the display of the satellite firmware version right away, but after a couple of refreshes it caught up.

Message 8 of 10
LEIP1
Tutor

What I don't understand is why Netgear would send me an email that an update is available, tell me where to go in the Orbi app to auto-update, only to find that there is no auto-update available. Poor communication on Netgear's part.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree. that email is a template for most of there stuff so sometimes it may not be fully applicable to all versions of FW. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7