Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Disconnecting - Moving location of router help?

JudiJett
Tutor

RBR850 Disconnecting - Moving location of router help?

I have the RBR850 with 1 RBS850.  I'm having the same disconnecting issues I've read about in this forum.  Tech support is in contact with me regarding the issue as I am not very tech savy and reading most of the comments are like a different language to me 🙂

So, this question, I have the router in my finished basement (poured concrete foundation) against the wall of the house and the satellite is on the main floor of the house (1 story).  Would moving the router to the main living area and placing the satellite in the basement help the situation overall?  I've always had previous routers in the basement but the house setup has changed recently.  

Currently I am working from home in the basement and we have added a security system with 7 cameras and video doorbell (3 outdoor cameras, 4 interior). 

Thank you all!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 Disconnecting - Moving location of router help?

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@JudiJett wrote:

I have the RBR850 with 1 RBS850.  I'm having the same disconnecting issues I've read about in this forum.  Tech support is in contact with me regarding the issue as I am not very tech savy and reading most of the comments are like a different language to me 🙂

So, this question, I have the router in my finished basement (poured concrete foundation) against the wall of the house and the satellite is on the main floor of the house (1 story).  Would moving the router to the main living area and placing the satellite in the basement help the situation overall?  I've always had previous routers in the basement but the house setup has changed recently.  

Currently I am working from home in the basement and we have added a security system with 7 cameras and video doorbell (3 outdoor cameras, 4 interior). 

Thank you all!

Reversing the position of the router and satellite should not make much difference in WiFi coverage. Both units have the same radios.

Assuming that the internet feed comes into the basement, then moving the router involves either moving the internet feed upstairs or running an ethernet cable upstairs to the router.

Placing a WiFi unit against the basement wall means that essentially half of the radio coverage is blasting into the concrete and dirt.  i.e. not serving any useful purpose.  Some basements have the same footprint as the main floor.  In (much) older homes, it was common for the basement to cover only a portion of the area (mostly for coal storage, boiler, smokestack, etc.)  If you have a home office in the basement, it sounds as if your basement match the upper floor.

There may be value in adjusting the relative positions of the router and satellite to ensure that:

• Both the basement and ground floor have as much coverage as possible.
  • The pathway between router and satellite is as free of obstructions as possible. (ductwork, metal cabinets, furniture, chimneys, concrete pillars in the basement, etc.)

It might be a useful exercise to list all of the electronic devices that are connected to the router and to the satellite.  How many are connected with ethernet cables?  How many are WiFi?  Which of the devices complain about poor service or become disconnected?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7