Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 RF Safety

BuddyBear
Aspirant

RBR850 RF Safety

My new Orbi RBR850 and 1 satellite provide excelletn coverage in 3600 sq ft home and over about an acre outside.  

My concern is the output power level:  My work desk is about 5 feet away from the main unit and the power level at my desk is -20 to -30 dbm from one side of it to the other.

Are there any concerns with this level of radiated power?

Is there a way to turn the power down?

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR850 RF Safety

Questions about the RBR850 will probably get a more informed response in the community forum for the AX product line:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

However, I can venture two thoughts:

1. WiFi output power is regulated by every country (FCC in the US).  They all transmit "at the max alowable".
  2. The WiFi 5 series of Orbi can reduce the transmit power using the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless  Settings.  2.4G and 5G band transmit power are done separately.  This setting reduces the power of every Orbi device (router and all satellites).  As far as I know, it does not affect the transmit power of the "backhaul" 5G signal between router and satellites.
Message 2 of 3

Re: RBR850 RF Safety

@BuddyBear wrote:

Is there a way to turn the power down?

Do that and bang goes your excellent coverage.

@BuddyBear wrote:

Are there any concerns with this level of radiated power?

In some minds, I guess, in which case they might want to put their wifi sources at what they consider to be a safe distance. Only they know how paranoid they are.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7