Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBRK50 and wired home network

SRM-55
Aspirant

RBRK50 and wired home network

In new house, cat6 ethernet patch panel (unlabled) is wired to several (unlabled) ethernet ports throughout home.  I set up a Spectrum Internet modem (non-wifi model), added Orbi router and satellite.  Wired connection directly to Spectrum modem works.  Wired connection through LAN port on Orbi router works.  Wifi connection to Orbi system also works.  When I use one of the LAN ports on the Orbi router (not satellite) to connect to any of ports in the Cat 6 patch panel (yes, I checked to make sure they were wires punched down into the patch panel), I can't get an wired ethenet connection on my laptop in any wired ethernet port in the house.  I get the "no internet connection" page on my browser.  Have tried all the ports on the patch panel, in numerous locations around the home.  So it SEEMS to me that the link that isn't working is the one from the Orbi router LAN port to the patch panel. The previous owners had their TV's setup to have wired ethernet connections, so I think I should be able to do the same.  Do I need to make any changes in the Orbi router software to allow the Orbi router to serve as the main gateway for the wired ethernet in the home? 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

If the LAN port on the back of the Orbi works with a direct connection, then the LAN ports on the Orbi are working. This is not a Orbi issue. You need to check the connections from the patch panel to the remote locations to see if the LAN cabling in between the patch panel and the remote room jack are correct and in good working order. 

Hook up one cable from the orbi to one of the jacks on the patch panel. Using a wired laptop, you'll need to go from room to room to see if you can find which room as the internet access when you connect the laptop to the jack in that room. If you still don't get any access, try a different jack on the patch panel. Possilble bad cabling to concider as well. Make sure your patch LAN cable is in good working order as well from the Orbi to the patch panel and from the Laptop to the room jack.

@SRM-55 wrote:

In new house, cat6 ethernet patch panel (unlabled) is wired to several (unlabled) ethernet ports throughout home.  I set up a Spectrum Internet modem (non-wifi model), added Orbi router and satellite.  Wired connection directly to Spectrum modem works.  Wired connection through LAN port on Orbi router works.  Wifi connection to Orbi system also works.  When I use one of the LAN ports on the Orbi router (not satellite) to connect to any of ports in the Cat 6 patch panel (yes, I checked to make sure they were wires punched down into the patch panel), I can't get an wired ethenet connection on my laptop in any wired ethernet port in the house.  I get the "no internet connection" page on my browser.  Have tried all the ports on the patch panel, in numerous locations around the home.  So it SEEMS to me that the link that isn't working is the one from the Orbi router LAN port to the patch panel. The previous owners had their TV's setup to have wired ethernet connections, so I think I should be able to do the same.  Do I need to make any changes in the Orbi router software to allow the Orbi router to serve as the main gateway for the wired ethernet in the home? 

Message 2 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@SRM-55 wrote:

..............  So it SEEMS to me that the link that isn't working is the one from the Orbi router LAN port to the patch panel.

What type of switch do you have at the patch panel? 

Message 3 of 11
SRM-55
Aspirant

There isn’t a switch between the Orbi router and the patch panel, at the moment.  

Message 4 of 11
SRM-55
Aspirant

Yes - I’m think checking all the cable is a good start.  I’m using brand new cables from the Orbi router to the patch panel.  All the wiring in the walls is only 2-3 years old but I’m using an old cable to go from wall port to the laptop so that could be part of it - although it seems to work when directly connected to the Orbi, it did seem really slow so maybe that is at least part of it....thanks!

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@SRM-55 wrote:

I can't get an wired ethenet connection on my laptop in any wired ethernet port in the house.  I get the "no internet connection" page on my browser.

I once had to trace unlabeled wall jacks back to the patch panel in an office.  What a pain!

Could you please take a look at the Ethernet jack in your laptop?  Most of the Ethernet jacks I have used have two tiny LED's.  One glows green when it detects an Ethernet connection and the other flickers with transmission.  When you hook the laptop directly to an Orbi LAN port, do you see any LED's on the laptop Ethernet jack?  If so, you can have some confidence that when you go around the house checking wall jacks that you can find the jack that is connected to the jack on the patch panel that you connected the Orbi LAN port to.  If the LED's worked when wired directly, but you never find a wall jack where the LED's come on, that would be a puzzle.

Message 6 of 11
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@SRM-55 wrote:

There isn’t a switch between the Orbi router and the patch panel, at the moment.  

The first thing that occurs to me is that the previous owners took a switch or two with them when they moved, leaving you with gaps in your LAN cabling.

Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya this may be a pain however if you can get ALL the cables figures out and rooms tied to whats on the Panel, I would set up a lable system, something simple. I just use numbers 1-10 or ever how many rooms you have. Write down the numbers then lable each one with what room it's tied to. What I have done for my patch panel. 

At somepoint, you'll want to get a Un-managed 1Gb network switch installed. Connect the patch panel cabling to this switch, then all you need is just 1 LAN cable going from this switch to the back of the orbi router. Then ALL rooms will have internet access at there jacks. I use a 24port with my patch panel. Room for growth if needed. 

Let us know how it goes. Use good quality CAT6 cabling and patch cables. 

@SRM-55 wrote:

Yes - I’m think checking all the cable is a good start.  I’m using brand new cables from the Orbi router to the patch panel.  All the wiring in the walls is only 2-3 years old but I’m using an old cable to go from wall port to the laptop so that could be part of it - although it seems to work when directly connected to the Orbi, it did seem really slow so maybe that is at least part of it....thanks!

Message 8 of 11
SRM-55
Aspirant

Yeah, I realize I may need to add a switch but just trying to do this step by step first!, thanks!

Message 9 of 11
SRM-55
Aspirant

I'm connected to Apple laptop via thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter (which seems to work fine) but it doesn't light up.  Will continure to work on this next week....at least the wifi works....

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, once you get the in wall LAN cables identified and marked, you should be good. Hopefully they all work and won't have to fix anything. 

Get a switch set up too. Something non managed and doesn't have Green Ethernet support. These don't work well with Orbi. 

@SRM-55 wrote:

I'm connected to Apple laptop via thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter (which seems to work fine) but it doesn't light up.  Will continure to work on this next week....at least the wifi works....

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7