Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS 50 Router connected to Giga Switch GS108

JohnVL62
Aspirant

RBS 50 Router connected to Giga Switch GS108

We have connected a GS 108 giga switch directly into the wired port of our Orbi router. If I hard connect my computer into the router, I can get internet access.  Unfortunately, when I connect my computer into the switch, it can't get internet access.  I am wondering if there is a configuration requirement for the Orbi to allocate IP addresses to the switch ports or something like that.

Model: GS108|Gigabit Switches, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah yes. That can happen. Glad it was a easy fix. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@JohnVL62 wrote:

Thank you for all your useful suggestions and advise.  Turns out someone had inserted a second input feed into the switch which was causing the switch not to work.  Thank you again.  Problem has been resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I am using a GS116v1 (16-port version of your 8-port GS108) and have no issues.  My GS116 connects to wired systems throughout my house for their internet connectivity.  Which version of the GS108 do you have? GS108v4, GS108LP, GS108PP, ???  Is it wired to one of the 3 LAN ports or the WAN port of the Orbi?  If it is on the WAN port, that is the wrong connection, the WAN port is for you modem to the internet.  Use one of the 3 LAN ports for the network switch.

Message 2 of 8
JohnVL62
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.  Its on 1 of the 3 LAN ports.  I am going to change out the switch to see if something fried the switch.  I am using a GS108 ProSafe switch.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you find out. 

@JohnVL62 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  Its on 1 of the 3 LAN ports.  I am going to change out the switch to see if something fried the switch.  I am using a GS108 ProSafe switch.

Message 4 of 8
EDR1
Guide

I use GS108s connected to both my Router & Satellite - no issues at all. I'm not even sure you can update anything - I thought the fact they were "un-managed" meant they had no ability to update settings.... Meaning likely an issue on the device side or a bad switch.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know what you find out. 

@JohnVL62 wrote:

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, unmanaged switchs usually don'y have any FW updates. 

Hoping the user can find where the problem is. 

Thanks for letting us know experineces with your model switch. Good to know that users can use this model switch with Orbi. Smiley Wink

@EDR1 wrote:
I use GS108s connected to both my Router & Satellite - no issues at all. I'm not even sure you can update anything - I thought the fact they were "un-managed" meant they had no ability to update settings.... Meaning likely an issue on the device side or a bad switch.

Message 6 of 8
JohnVL62
Aspirant

Thank you for all your useful suggestions and advise.  Turns out someone had inserted a second input feed into the switch which was causing the switch not to work.  Thank you again.  Problem has been resolved.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah yes. That can happen. Glad it was a easy fix. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@JohnVL62 wrote:

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7