Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS 50 - Satellite showing 2.4GHZ as disabled

rohinbhargava
Follower

RBS 50 - Satellite showing 2.4GHZ as disabled

Hi, 

I have a Orbi RBR/RBS 50 system. However after recent firmware update. I see on my satellite that its 2.4GHZ is disabled. How do I enable the same?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

Re: RBS 50 - Satellite showing 2.4GHZ as disabled

It should be enabled by default, there is not setting to disable any band. Have you tried to reboot the Satellite?

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Would love to see a screen shot of the message.

Message 3 of 6
frikinevil
Aspirant

Just happened to me as well!  I moved my sat due to poor backhaul here is the pic.  I will reboot sat to see if this odd issue goes. will let you know

Message 4 of 6
frikinevil
Aspirant

A reboot of the sat sorted it.  Oddly it said 2ghz was disabled??? I did another reboot and it started working. 

My situation is I am trying to get optimal placement of the two devices, the sat is showing blue as good connection but the AP router is showing backhaul of "poor".

<rant> Not trying to be a troll here!  You guys on here are great, I have read a lot of posts and learnt alot about the Orbi.  My story: I have had the Orbi for about 2 years (RBK40/RBS40) and frankly fed up with it!  I work from home a lot and the constant "orbi knows best" switching from sat to AP router keeps disconnecting my VPN connection to work, which then requires me to disable wifi and re-enable so the MS DirectAccess works (sensitive to mac address jumps to wifi for security reasons).  Also, my Ring video doorbell latency is just plain stupid, press the doorbell takes 5 minutes for the chime to respond, I fixed this by putting a repeater on a different SSID which solved the issue, I apprecaite that may be a hardware failing on Ring's part.  However,if  orbi could allow you to assign to a specific device to a specific node, then these problem would go away.  Honestly I am at wits end with this system, having to use my old repeaters to get things working is not a solution. Having to telnet on to configure different SSID's which get wiped when the next firmware comes along is a serious pain. I may go back to ASUS and use thier AIMesh topology as I have my old routers that are supported.

I am sure this setup is fine for people that use the internet to look at cat videos and such, but as a costly all encompasing mesh coverage network (which is what sold me on the idea) its falling short of the mark.

I will probably get a lot of critisism for saying the above, but as a mesh network goes, this is pretty basic and expected better from netgear. </rant>

Sorry if the above puts anyones nose out of joint.  I just dont see Orbi as a solid solution anymore.

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@frikinevil wrote:

...... switching from sat to AP router keeps disconnecting my VPN connection to work, which then requires me to disable wifi and re-enable so the MS DirectAccess works (sensitive to mac address jumps to wifi for security reasons).  .......

It's the device decision to select which radio to connect with. From your PC you can set the wifi network device to connect only to 5 GHz radio that might force it to always select the nearest Orbi node.

@frikinevil wrote:

...... Also, my Ring video doorbell latency is just plain stupid, press the doorbell takes 5 minutes for the chime to respond, I fixed this by putting a repeater on a different SSID which solved the issue, .......

I have more than 60 devices attached to Orbi (mostly IoT devices like cameras, speakers, automation hubs,...) and never seen such "major" issues. From experience with my Orbi, the following are the main causes of "strange" issues:

1. Multiple routing. If your ISP modem has routing capability then this can cause your Orbi network to be not optimal. Please check for double routing.
  2. Devices attached to Orbi that are affecting the performance of Orbi. Those devices can be wired devices that are causing loops, or other devices that Orbi simply "does not like" :). Unfortunately the only way to find those devices is to do a lengthy elimination process.
  3. Wifi Repeaters and Orbi are not good friends! You mentioned that you have a number of those? When using repeaters you should be careful with the radio channel selection and IP routing configuration.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7