Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS-50 firmware of V9.2.5.1.18SF-HW says no update available

CliffP
Guide

RBS-50 firmware of V9.2.5.1.18SF-HW says no update available

I've had RBK-50 (router + 1 satellite) for a number of years and bought 2 more RBS-50 satellites from a friend. He said he bought his as a 3-pack (router + 2 satellites) even before I bought my 2-pack.

I was able to connect my RBK-50 to his 2 additional satellites so I now have 1 router + 3 satellites.

However, when I went to orbilogin.net > Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update, my two are at firmware version V2.5.1.16 and his two are at version V9.2.5.1.18SF-HW and all 4 pieces say "No new firmware version available." -- how can that be? Shouldn't his weird version numbers be updated to the latest like my original two pieces?

Thanks for any help! 🙂

Message 1 of 8
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

looks like he installed voxels firmware.
if you want install the orig netgear firmware just download it and install manually.
Message 2 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

The 2 RBS50 satellites from your friend have Voxel V9.2.5.1.18SF-HW firmware installed. You will have to reflash the factory firmware, if you want them all to be the same.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can directly update RBS with the following method with out having to use the RBR:

What you need to do is factory reset the RBS. Wire connect a PC to the 1st satellite. Already have the most current FW version files downloaded on to this PC. Either have Stock or Voxel FW files on the PC. 

Wire connect 1 PC to the back of the RBS. Factory reset the RBS, wait about 5 minutes. The PC will get a IP address from the satellite. The RBS will be 192.168.1.250. Use this IP address in a web browser to log in to the satellites web page. Log in as admin and password. Use the satellites web page FW update feature to select the FW update file that was unpacked from the .zip file. Then factory reset and then re-sync the satellites to the RBR. 

FYI, if you keep Voxels FW loaded on the Orbi system, you can not use the RBR FW auto update chacker to check for FW files. This doesn't work in his version of FW. You'll need to manually download his files as they come out from this and apply them directly. So you'll have to keep an eye out for his updates manually. 

@CliffP wrote:

I've had RBK-50 (router + 1 satellite) for a number of years and bought 2 more RBS-50 satellites from a friend. He said he bought his as a 3-pack (router + 2 satellites) even before I bought my 2-pack.

I was able to connect my RBK-50 to his 2 additional satellites so I now have 1 router + 3 satellites.

However, when I went to orbilogin.net > Advanced > Administration > Firmware Update, my two are at firmware version V2.5.1.16 and his two are at version V9.2.5.1.18SF-HW and all 4 pieces say "No new firmware version available." -- how can that be? Shouldn't his weird version numbers be updated to the latest like my original two pieces?

Thanks for any help! 🙂

Message 4 of 8
CliffP
Guide

Thanks for all the help! I don't know what special firmware (or person) that is, but I want it to factory so it can get continual updates without my intervention.

Turns out the router was somehow at the latest firmware even though I didn't plug it in until today.

The version I mentioned before was for the satellites. When I plug in the ethernet cord from PC to Satellite and try to send the firmware update manually, I get this error:

can not send data packet. Tftp server may have been stopped. Error code 10065 (A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host.)

(Image of error is attached)

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 8
theoak
Luminary

Actually however, Voxel's 9.2.5.1.18 is based off of Netgear's 2.5.1.16. 

What Voxel does is he applies the latest security patches, and other upgrades upgrades on his own and then shares his images. There are some parts of the image he does not upgrade as they are Netgear custom binaries. Folks have claimed improved performance and range with Voxel's firmwares.

So, you should be okay with 9.2.5.1.18.  If you really want to have them all the same, you can either manually download Netgear's 2.5.1.16 ... or ... you can download Voxel's 9.2.5.1.18. Just one caution with Voxel's, DO NOT FACTORY RESET - via the pin on the back or via the admin GUI.

Message 6 of 8
CliffP
Guide

OK so I already did the factory reset button push before trying to do the satellite that was unsuccessful. Why the warning about not pushing the reset button? What to do now?

I am needing to maximize speed over a very far range. Is Voxel hands down an improvement for this or not a guaranteed improvement? If 50/50 odds, I'd prefer the stock firmware for the sake of it auto-updating. (Voxel cannot, correct?)

Is https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client accurate? It's what I followed but the satellite change from Voxel to factory wasn't successful - with the error message previously sent. Is this error a result of my pushing the reset button?

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you get to the RBS web page with Voxels FW loaded? IF so, manually send the stock FW to the RBS. 

Or try try the recovery here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

To send the stock FW to the RBS. 

One problem with voxels FW is that his FW doesn't work with doing factory resets or the reset button doesn't work correctly. He knows of this problem and not sure why he has not fixed it. This is a critical function that should work. So if you have voxels FW on your Orbi and need to do a reset, do not. You have to revert back to NG stock FW, then the reset function works. 

@CliffP wrote:

OK so I already did the factory reset button push before trying to do the satellite that was unsuccessful. Why the warning about not pushing the reset button? What to do now?

I am needing to maximize speed over a very far range. Is Voxel hands down an improvement for this or not a guaranteed improvement? If 50/50 odds, I'd prefer the stock firmware for the sake of it auto-updating. (Voxel cannot, correct?)

Is https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client accurate? It's what I followed but the satellite change from Voxel to factory wasn't successful - with the error message previously sent. Is this error a result of my pushing the reset button?

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7