Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS10 satellites disconnecting

Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBS10 satellites disconnecting

Hi all, long time searcher/reader, first time poster.

I've had the RBR10 with a pair of RBS10 satellites for a while, and the satellites have been disconnecting randomly from the beginning. I've tried everything I can see on these forums to now avail. The disconnecting of the satellites appears to be random - sometimes several times a day, but the record is perfectly solid connections for six days. I'll try to explain everything and see if anyone can offer advice. Firstly, for my set up, please see the attached diagram:

1. The RBR10 is on a kitchen cupboard, attached by a long lan cable to the modem/router in the attic (the telephone point for the router is in the attic)

2. RBR10 is in AP mode (unfortunately my modem/router doesn't have a bridge mode)

3. I'm sure the signal drops are not router related (when I check, I can tell if the router says "System uptime - 2 minutes" or something, if it is the Internet which has gone down, devices still connect to the WiFi with "no Internet" message)

4. The lounge satellite was originally in the other corner [marked "dead zone"] - moving it across the lounge improved the overall connectivity, but not the drop outs

5. WiFi is used in every room except the attic. House is brick internal walls (old build!). The stairway ones seem particularly thick.

6. The system is usually in daisychain. very very rarely I might check it and find both satellites connected directly to the basestation and green (using the Orbi app), but it doesn't stay that way for long

What I have tried:

1. Satellites are too close: I understand that compared advice, 14ft is way to close, however moving the lounge satellite across the lounge didn't seem to work, equally, with the lounge satellite turned off, or daisy chain turned off, the bedroom satellite doesn't connect at all to the basestation (nor does an iPhone, until you step out of the room onto the landing).

2. Turn off daisy chain: see above.

3. Using RBR only: lounge signal is weak, marked side of the house for bedrooms non-existent

4. Channel selection: have tried selecting a little used channel for the 2.4ghz band, using the Apple WiFi app that suggests which one might be good, made no difference. Can't seem to change the 5ghz band on orbilogin.net (option greyed out on 64)

5. Firmware: I have updated to V2.5.1.30 firmware on router and satellites, made no difference

6. Complete reset and reinstall: after the above firmaware update, made no difference

7. Enable explicit beamforming: made no difference

8. Sometimes the connection will re-establish itself within a few minutes, other times require a reboot or turning off and on at the plug and it comes back

I am aware there are other untried settings, but I don’t fully understand them.

After all of this, thanks for reading! What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBS10 satellites disconnecting

Thanks mstrbig, I think we've cracked it.

The RSSI scanner helped me come to the conclusion that the walls of the stairs in the middle of the house were really blocking the signal. Despite a satellite (or router) in the next room being far closer to the RSSI scanner than the next satellite a floor or two above, the one further away would have a far stronger signal.

So have put the router back in the attic, and without daisy chain the signal reaches each satellite either side of the stairs with good strength on the ground floor (diagram attached). Also they are further away which I guess helps. Anyway since doing this, its been pretty solid.

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

If just the satellites are disconnecting it may be channel interference.

You say your 5GHZ is greyed out. If I remember it is because the 5 GHz WiFi channel is fixed cannot be changed. But 5Ghz broadcasts smaller, and is usually not a problem. But you can play with the 2.4 Ghz channel for better performance. 

Try changing these settings, if you have not already done so:

Disable Circle, Armor, Daisy Chaining, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and uncheck 20/40Mhz Coexistence.
Enable WMM, Implicit BeamForming, Mu-MIMO
Set Short preamble mode. Save settings, reboot Orbi.

Also, Placement of satellites have a lot to do with strong backhaul. How are you satellites placed with regard to the router?

How large and what is the layout of your home? I know the specs state up to 4500 Sq Ft. but unfortunately all manufacturers post best case scenario, kinda like gas mileage ratings on a car. 

Message 2 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply Mstrbig.

Usually it is just the satellites disconnecting - go towards the router and I'll find WiFi again. Occasionally the router light is white too.

I shall try the other settings you suggested tomorrow I think.

Regarding the setup and placement - can you see the attached file I put on the original post? I drew that as its easier than explaining!

Many thanks

Message 3 of 7
Mstrbig
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

Regarding the setup and placement - can you see the attached file I put on the original post? I drew that as its easier than explaining!

You would want DaisyChaining off. 14 feet may be too close. And you have tried moving them further from the router?

Run a wifi analyzer and see what the RSSI is on each one of your Orbi networks. You will have more than one, plus private. 

Message 4 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi mstrbig, an update:

Today I moved the bedroom Satellite to the attic, and the lounge one across the lounge (adds another eleven feet or so). It was terrible to start with, never seen the pink dot on the main wired router before (on the app), but seems to have settled for now.

I did most of your recommendations also: don't know what circle is, armor is for router mode only, unchecked 20/40mhz, selected short preamble, fast roaming was already off and ipv6 already disabled. mu-mimo and wmm were already enabled, turned on beamforming. Disabled daisy chain.

The Mac wifi diagnostic scans the RSSI as between 49 and 71 depending on which box and band. Daftly, if I select the recommend channel from this app for the 2.4ghz and re-scan, it tells me a different recommended channel! 

Thanks for your help, I'll let it run for a few days and see how it goes.

Cheers,

Andy.

Message 5 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Slightly different question, and I've had this since having the product too... why does the Orbi app and orbilogon.net give different results at the same time! (see attached image).

The Orbi app has the now direct connected satelites with pink dots (not connected?), the orbilogon.net has the satellites listed with a backhaul status as "Good", and the boxes themselves have blue lights. Which is correct? It seems to be working ok at the moment...

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks mstrbig, I think we've cracked it.

The RSSI scanner helped me come to the conclusion that the walls of the stairs in the middle of the house were really blocking the signal. Despite a satellite (or router) in the next room being far closer to the RSSI scanner than the next satellite a floor or two above, the one further away would have a far stronger signal.

So have put the router back in the attic, and without daisy chain the signal reaches each satellite either side of the stairs with good strength on the ground floor (diagram attached). Also they are further away which I guess helps. Anyway since doing this, its been pretty solid.

Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7