Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS20 FW update

tgarvey
Tutor

RBS20 FW update

My package of an RBR40 and three RBS20s would not automatically detect and run the 2.3.0.28 FW updates when I logged in via my browser.  I downloaded the two firmware files and first upgraded the RBR40 successfully.  (Yes, I know now you're supposed to do the satellites first.)  The RBS20 update has failed several times, with a message saying I'm using the incorrect file.  I've re-downloaded it several times and get the same result.  Any suggestions?  

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
tgarvey
Tutor

PS:  I also read about the need to first update to 2.2.1.212, but I can't find that version on the NG website. 

Message 2 of 17
plemans
Guru

@tgarvey wrote:

PS:  I also read about the need to first update to 2.2.1.212, but I can't find that version on the NG website. 

What version is the RBS20 on right now? have you tried updating to the 2.2.1.210 thats on the website and upgrading from there? I didn't see the .212 on the website either.  

Message 3 of 17
tgarvey
Tutor

The RBS20s are on 2.2.1.210.

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You can manually download v28 for the RBS and directly update to that version FIRST. There isn't v212 for the RBS20. 

Then update the RBR40 to v212 then v28 lastly.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-20-40-Series-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-28/td-p/1...

Factory reset and setup from scratch. 

@tgarvey wrote:

My package of an RBR40 and three RBS20s would not automatically detect and run the 2.3.0.28 FW updates when I logged in via my browser.  I downloaded the two firmware files and first upgraded the RBR40 successfully.  (Yes, I know now you're supposed to do the satellites first.)  The RBS20 update has failed several times, with a message saying I'm using the incorrect file.  I've re-downloaded it several times and get the same result.  Any suggestions?  

Message 5 of 17
tgarvey
Tutor

Two of my three RBS20s have now updated to 2.3.0.28 without any further action by me, so I assume the auto-update function worked for them.  Running the "Check" function still does not detect an update for the third one, but I'll wait to see if that one catches up.  The process seems pretty random, though I assume there's something behind the scenes that accounts for this. 

For now I'll wait and hope that the upgrades cure the need to reboot the RBR40 at least once a day.   

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Or you can manually install the FW files as well. 

Good Luck. 

Message 7 of 17
tgarvey
Tutor

As I said in my original post, that is what is not working.  I've downloaded the RBS20 2.3.0.28 fw file sevral times, loaded and ran it, and each time I get an error message saying I'm using the incorrect file.  And yes, I've made sure I'm running the RBS20 file, not the RBR40 file.  FWIW, running the RBR40 file to update the router also retunred the same error message the first three times I ran it, until it worked.

Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, hopefully the auto update will pick up the 3rd satellite. 

Manual update should have work. Browser could have been a cause. 

I use IE11, or FF for doing any FW updates. 

Hope the last one updates correctly. 

Message 9 of 17
Chuck_M
Mentor

In the firmware zip files are often two files...  one that ends in .chk.  That is not the firmware, it is the other file.  What is the filename you are trying to upload to the firmware updater?

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

There should be a .img file after unpacking the .zip file. This is the FW file. 

Check your zipper program to make sure it's unpacking the .zip file correctly. 

Message 11 of 17
tgarvey
Tutor

Yep, I've been using the img file, and I've downloaded & extracted it about five times now, using the same zip app that suucessfully extracted the RBR40 file.  I'll try it again in a day or two if the auto-update still hasn't gotten the holdout done.

BTW, do you know if you still need to leave Daisy Chain on? 

Thanks for your suggestions.   

Message 12 of 17
tgarvey
Tutor

It's RBS20-V2.3.0.28.img

Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes thats the correct file for the RBS. 

Depending upon if you have the satellites connected via ethernet or wirelessly connected and placed in a linerar line out from the router or in a star formation with the router, would dictate if Daisy chain is needed. Wired ethernet or Star formation, Disable DS. 

Message 14 of 17
plemans
Guru

If you had issues uploading to the router maybe its a computer issue causing the problem. have you tried using a different computer to upload the image?

Message 15 of 17
tgarvey
Tutor

The remaining RBS20 auto-updated overnight.  I'm hopeful that the new FW resolves the 5.5 month long PITA experience with frequent satellite & internet disconnects.  Fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Let us know how it goes. 

If you need to, try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Good Luck. 

@tgarvey wrote:

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7