Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS20 LED light solid amber

plmskier
Aspirant

RBS20 LED light solid amber

Hi all,

I've read a ton of articles and looking for help before I give up. I have an orbi router and 1 satellite set up and running for a while now. The kit originally came with two satellites but I didn't have a need for the 2nd until now. I unwrapped it as I've never used it before and the power led light is solid amber. I've tried resetting by holding 7 seconds, power off while holding reset 7s, power on hold reset for 7. Also did same sequence in 30s, 3 times...on off on keeping reset held down. Another article said do it and unplug power, tried that with no success. What do I do? It must be a firmware issue or something but it's technically new out of the box. I don't have extended warranty...I'm sure this has been answered before but not sure where to go from here.

Thanks!

Paul
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: RBS20 LED light solid amber

You can try recovering it with tftp or nmrpflash.
are you on windows? if so, follow this guide
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
just make sure you enable tftp
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 7
plmskier
Aspirant

Hi everyone. My brother is in school for IT stuff. He took on this project and had to buy a cable online to try and communicate woth the device. He said he was able to speak to the satellite but then it would stop communicating back. Big issue. He opened the Orbi and manually connect to the serial pins and used jtag to communicate with it but the bootloader is corrupted. Can't put firmware on it because of that. The bootloader is also the way it can be accessed in recovery mode so this is probably done.

So is there a next step or am I **bleep** out of luck? It was new in the box like I stated and we didn't need the 2nd extender until now and when we unwrapped it from the packaging it immediately didn't work. I doubt netgear will help at this point.
Message 3 of 7
plmskier
Aspirant

Bump. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 7

Did you try to use TFTP as @plemans suggested?

If so, what happened? That might offer some clues as to what has happened to this device.

It is hard to know what you mean by this:

He said he was able to speak to the satellite but then it would stop communicating back.

Was that TFTP? Something else?

Message 5 of 7
plmskier
Aspirant

This is what my brother told me.

Tftp was tried. Did not work. When device is connected to Ethernet it is not recognized. Thus tftp and flash would not work and why I tried jtag as a last resort. The bootloader is corrupted.

Nothing more that I can think of to fix this with out hours of more work and involving solder a new processor. It’s highly plausible to have this fixed, but not on any level of cost and time to put into it.
Message 6 of 7

@plmskier wrote:
When device is connected to Ethernet it is not recognized.

What does that mean? You could not find the IP address?

TFTP is a picky process that has to be approached carefully.

"not recognized" could mean many things. The command like messages are the key to understanding what is happening.

I don't remember "not recognized" being a part of the repertoire.

To get the device into a state where TFTP work you need to pay attention to the power LED and what you see.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7